Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boycott

2»

Comments

• That is a good idea Seth.
    Don't want to elaborate on here but has many uses.
  • Supporters that are still going should congregate in the upper parts of north and west stand. Atmosphere will be ramped up for the team but there will be chaos for the stewarding staff that will have to report back to the regime. It will also look good on the highlights when it looks like the fans have deserted the club.
  • I pulled back from the brink of boycotting this weekend- that turned out well! My change of mind was due to getting grief from friends and family- and also wanting to see them and carry on doing what I've loved doing win or lose for 30 years.
    I've got no interest in renewing my season ticket and have cancelled Valley Gold but still want to go to away games next year rather than home. That made me think I wonder if they will do something snidey like make it really hard to get tickets for aways if you don't fit in priority brackets. We already do that to be fair!
    I guess that won't work because most places you can buy on the door but nothing surprises me about these people
  • Havent been at The Valley since the Wolves game for various reasons which are sadly now including apathy.
  • All well and good saying "just go to away matches", but we know full well that just won't happen with the Charlton fanbase.

Only 1,000 at Carlisle when we won promotion....
  • The big boycott is of course going to be season tickets. The club shouldn't worry about any of the protests more than this.
  • I know it is premier league, but at Liverpool after one walk out, the manager urge the directors to sort it out, and the directors are looking for a compromise. Perhaps this is what is needed at Charlton, walk out.
  • But they care what their supporters think.
  • i agree i think a walk out would be a great idea!
  • Everyone on this forum who live in South East London or Kent who need to use the train to go to work probably wish they could boycott South Eastern seeing how poorly run they are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone on this forum who live in South East London or Kent who need to use the train to go to work probably wish they could boycott South Eastern seeing how poorly run they are.

it was my first week back in london last week, as i have been home baised for 3.5years and i must say the trains have got so much worse.

Late every mornign and every evening.

Surely it isnt hard to get right?
  • I have been to every home game but recently stopped buying food and drink and stayed behind and protested but feel that a couple or three wins is all it will take for fans to come back,think a few of our fans are quite fickle
  • doronron said:

I have been to every home game but recently stopped buying food and drink and stayed behind and protested but feel that a couple or three wins is all it will take for fans to come back,think a few of our fans are quite fickle

Sadly this is my biggest fear, that a few wins and a large percentage will forget about the owner and go back to normal.
    I'm with @charliewright1 . No more money from me, not even at the turnstiles.
  • doronron said:

I have been to every home game but recently stopped buying food and drink and stayed behind and protested but feel that a couple or three wins is all it will take for fans to come back,think a few of our fans are quite fickle

If that happens, they deserve Duchatelet , Meire and more of the same. Anyway, "a couple or three wins" sounds like next season in League One.
  • There are at least 6 season ticket holders around where I sit in the Upper West who no longer attend. One by one they have disappeared and now it is just me and my son. Next season we will be missing too, if these people are still in charge.
    Genuinely sad - the club as we know it is ebbing away.
  • Maybe it's time to organise a formatted "I shall not be renewing my season ticket" email/letter for all those in that category, myself included.

It will be a notice of intent to KM & RD that we really mean business and leave it to them to do the sums .....

Something of this ilk could maybe bring them to their senses ?
  • Maybe it's time to organise a formatted "I shall not be renewing my season ticket" email/letter for all those in that category, myself included.

It will be a notice of intent to KM & RD that we really mean business and leave it to them to do the sums .....

Something of this ilk could maybe bring them to their senses ?

Good idea but I'm not sure they have any sense
  • What I can see more next season whether it's Championship or League 1, is many fans not buying STs or even home matchday tickets but will still support the team only away from home as to hit RD hard. They will support the team but not the regime.

Our 600'ish average might go up to 700'ish then.
  • history has shown us that a huge club (which is what we were) can become a small club when starved of success. A club which averaged over 40,000 became one which was playing in front of 3,000 in the space of 25 years. We had a brief resurgence in the late 60s when we nearly got promoted and the fans came flooding back, only to have their hopes dashed by a board who had no interest and little ambition (Michael Glikstein era) . I personally think that Roland will run this club into the ground and use a lack of support as the excuse he needs to move the club and redevelop the Valley. The question is whether the planning authority will stand in the way this time - the areas gentrification and standing of the club with the LOCAL community has changed and I'm not sure that we really command the loyalty of Greenwich residents as we once would of. I hope I'm wrong but as an unglamorous club on the wrong side of the Thames I can see us being expendable and the rest of football will stand by and watch and wring their hands - another Wimbledon.

As far as a boycott is concerned I think that the poor football served up will ensure that by the end of this season we will be playing in front of a crowd that we could fit in the West stand.
  • Sponsored links:

• They don't care if ST's are renewed or not. Surely by now people must realise that they don't mind us going down to play in front of 6-7000 every week.
  • 6-7000 may be optimistic
  • Big test for me this Saturday. I've not missed a home game this year but vowed on Saturday after Bristol city that I was done. And I meant it. Since then the mates I sit with have been kind enough to say that they'll miss me and no doubt come Saturday morning the lure of bluewater will be pushing me towards the valley. However, said mates apart, I am taking no pleasure whatsoever from my charlton fix. Deliberately missing something I've already paid for is a big deal for a Scotsman (I'm allowed to say that). I suspect when I miss one I'll have cut the metaphorical cord and it will be easy after that.

As for season tickets next year, something pretty drastic will have to change unless it becomes so cheap that it's a no brainer purchase. In principle, I won't renew. But I do wonder how many are giving it the big "I'm out" to fit in with the group but when push comes to shove will renew come what may. It's a hard thing to give up as its not just like finding a new curry house when your old one goes downhill (apologies for brazen restaurant/customer metaphor). The only reason that I could possibly have for renewing as things stand is that I have a "desirable" seat in the front row with some mates in a remarkably arsehole free zone (and I've sat beside a few over the years!) so I don't want to lose it. Mind you, if the west upper gets shut I've had that! Will be interesting to see what happens to early renewers (yes, yes, stop laughing) if their chosen seats become unavailable post hoc facto (that's Latin btw).

I suspect I'm out. And probably sooner than later but being a born ditherer doesn't help.

Off for a cup of tea. Or coffee. Oh sod it I don't know.
  • NelsonsFU said:

history has shown us that a huge club (which is what we were) can become a small club when starved of success. A club which averaged over 40,000 became one which was playing in front of 3,000 in the space of 25 years. We had a brief resurgence in the late 60s when we nearly got promoted and the fans came flooding back, only to have their hopes dashed by a board who had no interest and little ambition (Michael Glikstein era) . I personally think that Roland will run this club into the ground and use a lack of support as the excuse he needs to move the club and redevelop the Valley. The question is whether the planning authority will stand in the way this time - the areas gentrification and standing of the club with the LOCAL community has changed and I'm not sure that we really command the loyalty of Greenwich residents as we once would of. I hope I'm wrong but as an unglamorous club on the wrong side of the Thames I can see us being expendable and the rest of football will stand by and watch and wring their hands - another Wimbledon.

As far as a boycott is concerned I think that the poor football served up will ensure that by the end of this season we will be playing in front of a crowd that we could fit in the West stand.

I understand what you are saying, but I believe somehow US fans will force them out, one way or another.
  • I think we should emulate the Liverpool fans and choose a particular minute in the game and just up and walk out- irrespective of the score and do it at every game. Appears to have worked for them, the owners are reconsidering their ticket prices. Say what you like about the scousers (personally I love Liverpool and have spent several great weekends in the city) they know how to fight and win... question is, do we?

Will the "I've paid for my season ticket" brigade and their ilk veto it?

Well, let's see how many of them renew their season tickets for Third Division 'hoofball' next season.
    After 50+ years, I for one wont be and will, albeit sadly, abandon CAFC until these awful people have gone.

I can't take any more, although I would still be up for protests etc if it means we can force this regime out.

Sadly, until someone comes along with the right amount of cash I can see them here for the long run, much to the detriment of the club.
  • They don't care if ST's are renewed or not. Surely by now people must realise that they don't mind us going down to play in front of 6-7000 every week.

I actually think a lack of ST renewal would hurt them. At the moment I believe they think this will blow over, gambling on survival, a few good results and a following wind. They also are misguided enough to think they are right and we will wake up and see that.

But ST's form a large income stream and they rely on these to pay bills over the summer, fund salaries etc. If RD has to cough up because fans haven't, then they have a problem.

Also, they count STs in attendances and also in effect it's a 23-match guaranteed income. Most fans without STs would not turn up to a number of games, and that would fall away more if the team does not do well. That has an impact on sales on match days as well.