Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Awkward looking footballers

Comments

• edited February 2016

Danny Haynes had a strange running action.

That was called "limping in pain"; easily confusable since he seemed to do it pretty regularly sadly. :(

Regardless of his running style though, when he was fit he was fast.
  • edited February 2016
    Leuth said:

Jamaican, so not West African - still black though I suppose...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Not having a go at you lot, just saying that physiological phenomena we might find awkward are fairly endemic and decidedly normal for certain racial types, and so describing an abnormally large number of footballers of these types as 'awkward' is a bit…problematic.
    Wow.

Only on CharltonLife can a discussion about "awkward" players get Slavery thrown in to the mix. Words absolutely fail me for the ridiculousness of this.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Not having a go at you lot, just saying that physiological phenomena we might find awkward are fairly endemic and decidedly normal for certain racial types, and so describing an abnormally large number of footballers of these types as 'awkward' is a bit…problematic.
    Christ.

Raheem Sterling runs a bit funny and El Hadji-Ba doesn't look like a footballer at all. That's all people are saying.

Do you remember the time I said this "unnecessarily complex lexis married with wild hysteria" about one of your posts. This is one of those moments.

Also, regarding the link ... I'm not an idiot.
    Fine, fine. I'm sorry if you felt patronised, but I had said 'of West African descent'. However, we don't know Ricardo Fuller's entire genealogy so it would be wrong to presume he is purely of West African extraction.

I know I sound like a complete dick here and I really don't mean to have a go at individuals but I do sincerely think that the fact that, say, Robert Pires hasn't made it but Danny Welbeck has is quite annoying.
    I'm expecting an imminent petition to have the name of The Antigallican changed....
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Akinfenwa....

Looks like a fat kid in PE, just doesn't belong.

I am aware he is a brick shit house, but is ensuring you are the strongest player on Fifa really the legacy you want in football.

he's also one of the better players in his league... and could have gone on to do well if it were not for a nasty injury in his youth.
  • Just so I can offend all white people on this thread I give you Peter Crouch, because he looks like a pair of drain pipes with football boots on and runs like a giraffe on Valium.
  • Adebayor, Kanu, Bobby Bowry, Simon Church and Andy Cole.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Possibly, yes. I know the English way is to try to not 'see' race - and so thinking of it as 'awkward' when a player seems to have an unusual running style, regardless of race - I am by no means accusing anyone here of racism - but there is no coincidence in a lot of these 'awkward' styles belonging to a certain body type - at which point I think it best to acknowledge that this body type runs often runs differently, but no less effectively. 'Awkward' has negative or alienating connotations.

Roger Johnson, now there's an awkward looking footballer, at least when he's trying to control a ball.

to a degree i take your point as most of those posting maybe seeing things through "south east london eyes"

but where does the slavery link come in? i dont follow that bit
  • Surprised nobody's mentioned the late great Gary Doherty
  • Sponsored links:

• Theo Walcott
  • Mertesacker always looks like he's running through treacle.
  • Ray Hiron - Portsmouth FC in the late 60's/70's. Arms and legs like spindles but hard as iron.

Like Sir Clive, always guaranteed to score against us.

• Why are there not 50 odd Comments all saying jinky djimi traore?
  • edited February 2016

Can definitely agree with Crouch. I think his lanky frame was pretty awkward, and to a lesser extend the same goes for Makienok.

There's something about tall/lanky players running which puts me on edge a bit.
    lolwray said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Possibly, yes. I know the English way is to try to not 'see' race - and so thinking of it as 'awkward' when a player seems to have an unusual running style, regardless of race - I am by no means accusing anyone here of racism - but there is no coincidence in a lot of these 'awkward' styles belonging to a certain body type - at which point I think it best to acknowledge that this body type runs often runs differently, but no less effectively. 'Awkward' has negative or alienating connotations.

Roger Johnson, now there's an awkward looking footballer, at least when he's trying to control a ball.

to a degree i take your point as most of those posting maybe seeing things through "south east london eyes"

but where does the slavery link come in? i dont follow that bit
    Clearly because everyone in Western Africa is the descendant of a slave, and that form of stereotype in itself is in no way offensive what-so-ever...
  • Martin Pringle
  • Sailor Brown
  • Awkward is a great category. Like crouch used to look like plug.off bash St kids so he is awkward looking. Plays superb though and he don't look a plug no more.

The kind of player that you hold your breath when they pass it to him as he can't trap a bag of cement. Jamie Stuart

Paul bacon also could neither control nor kick a football.

Morgan Fox has a plank of wood for a right leg so he can go in here as well.

Carlton palmer and akinbyi can't cross a road without stumbling.

Fellani. No touch

Pringle Deffo.

Jonny Robinson also as a controversial one. Great player, awkward control a bit and just a damn awkward nuisance on the pitch.

Arise claus Jensen the most unawkward player player ever.
  • Blimey obviously rufus of course. Could not play football to save his life but the best destroyer of any strikers game.

Awkward footballers such a great thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great player though!
  • edited February 2016
    This is bit of a controversial one (though probably not as controversial as the 'problematic' posts with ''racial connotations', give me strength)....

Neymar. One of those players who seems to find a way through players and produce brilliance even though his control seems a bit Jordan Cousins' like at times. Of course that doesn't include the times he does the showboat tricks, but more when he is in plain possession of the ball. I can't really explain it!
  • Who remembers Kevin Francis the 6' 7" striker for Stockport in the 90s? He was very immobile but still scored a few goals.

Also tip in the Brum striker Zigic and that bald, beanpole German striker who played for them when we won 5-1 in Munch.
  • Paulo wanchope.
  • Ian Dowie and Peter Beardsley. Both very awkward looking!
  • Lawrie Madden

THE most ungainly looking footballer to play for us in the last 50 years. Made Quasimodo look athletic.

I think it was this that took me so long to warm to him but, by the end of his time with us, he did change that opinion.

• Clearly because everyone in Western Africa is the descendant of a slave, and that form of stereotype in itself is in no way offensive what-so-ever...

I think it was more that the majority of Jamaicans were of West African descent via slavery, rather than everyone in west africa being descended from slaves... Which would be an inflammatory suggestion to say the least
  • Riviera said:

Have I miss understood the title of the thread?

If you have then you've disgraced yourself by not starting out with this pic...
  • The 2011/12 West Ham squad.