Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Awkward looking footballers

Comments

• Sam Bartram. He hasn't moved from the car park for years.
  • Les Berry
  • Len Glover. ..Maurice Setters
  • Akinfenwa is a secret cult hero of mine.
  • We bored of naming footballers of West African descent now?
  • Raheem Sterling and Aaron Lennon have awkward running actions
  • Sam bartram
    Les berry
    Len glover

All West African amazing
  • Lawrie Madden

Yes definitely in my charlton experience used to walk and run as if he had 100 quids worth of loose change in one pocket with one leg being 6 inches longer than the other

...maybe a future career as a carpark attendant

• Leuth said:

We bored of naming footballers of West African descent now?

You fucking love it don't you.
  • Leuth said:

The one has turned up.
  • Sponsored links:

• I read a report a couple of years ago and it said that some coaches reckon that if they get a big strong fast fella, who maybe has not played much football then he can be taught to play, and potentially reach a good pro standard.
  • Greenie said:

I read a report a couple of years ago and it said that some coaches reckon that if they get a big strong fast fella, who maybe has not played much football then he can be taught to play, and potentially reach a good pro standard.

Should've stuck with John Regis then
  • Always thought Ricardo Fuller had an odd way of not looking like he was in control of the ball, yet then skipping between three players and still having the ball at his feet.

Jamaican, so not West African - still black though I suppose...
  • A mate went to see England v Brazil years ago and have always remembered him saying that despite being World Class; Ronaldinho always looked like he was going to fall over his feet at any second whilst running
  • I feel like there is not enough caucasian representation on this subject.

Sincerely,
    Offended of Bexleyheath

The Cl "awkward oscars" !

• Danny Haynes had a strange running action.

• Jamaican, so not West African - still black though I suppose...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Not having a go at you lot, just saying that physiological phenomena we might find awkward are fairly endemic and decidedly normal for certain racial types, and so describing an abnormally large number of footballers of these types as 'awkward' is a bit…problematic.
  • Harry Cripps was a very unlikely looking professional athlete.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    Leuth said:

Not having a go at you lot, just saying that physiological phenomena we might find awkward are fairly endemic and decidedly normal for certain racial types, and so describing an abnormally large number of footballers of these types as 'awkward' is a bit…problematic.
    Christ.

Raheem Sterling runs a bit funny and El Hadji-Ba doesn't look like a footballer at all. That's all people are saying.

Do you remember the time I said this "unnecessarily complex lexis married with wild hysteria" about one of your posts. This is one of those moments.

Also, regarding the link ... I'm not an idiot.
  • surprised no one has mentioned Steve Jones, a footballer whose brain was often betrayed by his body!
  • edited February 2016

Leuth said:

Christ.

Raheem Sterling runs a bit funny and El Hadji-Ba doesn't look like a footballer at all. That's all people are saying.

Do you remember the time I said this "unnecessarily complex lexis married with wild hysteria" about one of your posts. This is one of those moments.

Fine, fine. I'm sorry if you felt patronised, but I had said 'of West African descent'. However, we don't know Ricardo Fuller's entire genealogy so it would be wrong to presume he is purely of West African extraction.

I know I sound like a complete dick here and I really don't mean to have a go at individuals but I do sincerely think that the fact that, say, Robert Pires hasn't made it but Danny Welbeck has is quite annoying.
  • Leuth said:

Did you ever script write for 'Yes Minister'?

• Missed "descent" - fair do's.

I still think you're reading into things that don't need to be read in to.
  • edited February 2016
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Christ.

I know I sound like a complete dick here and I really don't mean to have a go at individuals but I do sincerely think that the fact that, say, Robert Pires hasn't made it but Danny Welbeck has is quite annoying.
    Pires is a half Spanish, half Portugese, Frenchman.

Don't you think he has big enough problems without you having a pop at his gait?

• Possibly, yes. I know the English way is to try to not 'see' race - and so thinking of it as 'awkward' when a player seems to have an unusual running style, regardless of race - I am by no means accusing anyone here of racism - but there is no coincidence in a lot of these 'awkward' styles belonging to a certain body type - at which point I think it best to acknowledge that this body type runs often runs differently, but no less effectively. 'Awkward' has negative or alienating connotations.

Roger Johnson, now there's an awkward looking footballer, at least when he's trying to control a ball.
  • Malcom Mcdonald

You drive a bus through his legs he was that bandy
  • Leuth said:

Hmm, the Loony Left awakes, after taking one hell of a beating.
  • Anthony Watt.............................................................

..............popcorn is ready.