Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn. Post match views 2015/16

Comments

• Thought it was a better balanced side, terrible time to lose the goal, the but for me was drawing with a poor Blackburn side, small signs for optimism.
  • ross1 said:

Curbs always said, when on a bad run, strengthen defence, get a few draws and then move onto wins. The only trouble is, we have not got time to wait for the wins

True enough, as we chose to spend months with a crass amateur as manager. Like his previous stint, Jose Riga seems to be able to play players in their correct position. It's not rocket science. But mr 6-1-3, 2-2-6 formations preferred to try things that would only work on a Playstation 1 football manager game.

• Next two games will decide our fate

Actually, the next 18 games will decide our fate.

Although we do ourselves a big favour if we take points from Rotherham and Bristol City.

• 2nd half was up there with the worst 45 mins of football I think you'll see in the championship, both sides lacked any quality. Ref was toilet, and Henderson was unbelievably frustrating with his timewasting. Draws are not enough.
  • agree with others that Fox was much improved, reckon it was partly due to having Bergdich in front of him who helped out.
  • purdis said:

Poor game, very little quality on show. Our midfield has no creativity.

Can't see this team winning games.

This has been a problem for too long now. We're in desperate need of some creativity in the middle. If JBG was interested he could play in the number ten role.
    I suggested the same thing the other day and was shouted down - no offence taken, of course!

The few times he had a chance to create things from midfield today he either held the ball too long and got closed down, failed to have his head up to see what was on or was muscled off the ball.

I'm a big JBG fan based on last season but he's not our answer to a playmaker.
    Big fan of his but he clearly doesn't want to be here. Disappointing, and pretty disgraceful if I'm honest. If Riga feels like he can't get anything out of him then I'd have no problem cashing in if we spent it on suitable replacements.
  • Sponsored links:

• JBG offered nothing - doesn't look like he is up for the fight...!
  • Was at the game, but having just seen the highlights, Lennon made two big errors, fortunately, only one of the errors cost us a goal. For the Blackburn goal, Lennon lost Rhodes in the box. The second error, was the Simeon Jackson penalty claim, Lennon should have dealt with the ball, but didn't and luckily we weren't punished. I didn't realise how good a save Henderson made, when Harriot fluffed his header. Hendo was so quick off his line, to get to Rhodes! If we are to stay up, we need Rojo in next to Texeria, than put Bauer in when he is fit. Harriot, I'm afraid isn't cut out for this level.
  • Rojo in?! Didn't we sign The Fly because it was quite clear that Rojo was a disaster signing on a monumental and irrevocable scale?

I'd try Sarr for the next game, then Bauer or Diarra when fit
  • Was at the game, but having just seen the highlights, Lennon made two big errors, fortunately, only one of the errors cost us a goal. For the Blackburn goal, Lennon lost Rhodes in the box. The second error, was the Simeon Jackson penalty claim, Lennon should have dealt with the ball, but didn't and luckily we weren't punished. I didn't realise how good a save Henderson made, when Harriot fluffed his header. Hendo was so quick off his line, to get to Rhodes! If we are to stay up, we need Rojo in next to Texeria, than put Bauer in when he is fit. Harriot, I'm afraid isn't cut out for this level.

I'd rather have a traffic cone stood at centre half than Roger Johnson, it would certainly do a better job.
  • PWR
    Improvement, but I fear too little too late. I honestly believe we are 90% down.
    Sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• Firstly, was pleased JR got a good reception from the West where I sit, even if BDL didn't announce him back until the start of the second half. At least most of the team looked to be trying yesterday. They must be so short on confidence and hope a point is the turning point for us. We need points from the next two games. Pleased to see Watt back, and he does make an impact, but sadly, the boy still wont pass when he should. Hope JR can teach him when not to be selfish. Fox was much better, and Bergdich, who I didn't want to ever see again, played surprisingly well. Must give him credit where its due. The man of the match for me was new boy Tex, a solid debut, won everything in the air, and made a crunching (but, fair) tackle which got the ball into touch. Very impressed with him, and can't wait to have him and Bauer together at the back. I must credit Henderson with how quickly he came out of goal to meet Rhodes I think on a one to one, that was never a penalty, he got the ball. Even the ref didn't think so and he was Blackburn's best player, never seen quite so many decisions go to the opposition unfairly. How he gave a foul against Reza when their keeper charged well outside his area to clatter him, I shall never know. Hope JR can get a couple more players, especially ones like Tex, and we may have a chance yet.
  • purdis said:

A positive home start for Jose Riga - much more organised and definitely in the right direction.

We had a better balance today and we regained our shape in the way Luzon used to like - that is a real positive.

Probably too much long ball second half and poor old Igor was up against it accordingly. Because of this, I was quite surprised that he brought Reza on ahead of Big Mak but in Jose, I trust.

I mentioned the word balance and I cannot overstress how crucial Watt & Igor were to provide this balance.
    Igor was superb off the ball and always looking to use his pace to pressure the defence.

I honestly believe that if we sell Tony Watt, we are likely to go down - he's that important to us and to the balance of the team.

Finally, as much as I respect the RD out lobby, singing RD out songs ten minutes from time when we're fighting to stay in the game was not that bright an idea - the players do get affected by negativism and what they needed today was the crowd behind them for the full 90.

I thought Igor made a bigger difference than Watt to the balance of the team. I like Watt but he reminds me of Andy Reid a little in that he doesnt release the ball quickly enough. When what he's trying comes off its devastating, but he needs to learn when to take on the defence and when to recognise the attention he's drawn has created space for a team mate.
  • Solid performance and was pleasantly surprised by the fitness/sharpness shown by two men who haven't played much in ages...Bergdich and Vetokele.

Very impressed with Texeira. He read the play superbly and didn't piss about when a clearance was needed. Seems to have good movement in the oppo's penalty area too.

There has obviously been a lot of work done on the training ground regarding defensive shape and playing Bergdich to offer more cover was a good move. After a couple of thumpings, the rot had to be stopped rather than go chasing the game.

I thought the ref was fussy and there were far too many free-kicks for the most basic of bodily contact. At least he didn't wave the cards about though.

Clean sheet needed at Rotherham. We might have to go 4-5-1 (with Watt on the bench).
  • For Cafc to stay up we need a strong spine.
    The midfield is a real problem with no Playmaker,
    Cousins will run all day,

Assuming we don't get any more new players.... maybe Cousins to the right of midfield and JBG into the centre?

Cousins has got the energy/heart for the up and down role whilst JBG has the passing range and might warm to the task.

In Championship terms....think Cousins as a Graham Stuart and think JBG as a Claus Jensen.