Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another brilliant long article from The Guardian

1235»

Comments

• CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Storm the boardroom, smash the place up

• Henry irvings comments under the article certainly pull no punches lolz

Oh dear, I don't think the "real" @Henry Irving is going to like that much.

Don't really care that much. Can't decide whether it is sad or just funny, or maybe both, that Nick Gray is embarrassed to put his own name on his inane comments.

Anyone who matters knows he's just another desperate troll. Got boring a long time ago.
  • edited January 2016

Henry irvings comments under the article certainly pull no punches lolz

A. Do you think Steve Clarke Is Henry ?
    B. Yet another in joke ?
    C. Power is going to My(your) head. ?
    D. Anyone that doesn't agree with me is an enemy
    E. Whooooooosh.
    ????!
    Cut and paste next time Rodders.

Found it, and accept a 1000 apologies.

will be protesting as loud as anybody tomorrow.

all this complaining is going to my head. :blush:
  • Think Owen was charmed by her in the end. He replied to my tweet saying it could be down to her second language. Not join. That, she is fluent in English

I am sure this is deliberate strategy ... charm a few hand-picked journalists, make the local media feel special by giving them leaked exclusives (in the hope they go easy on the club for fear of having that channel shut down), make the right noises without necessarily any intention of fulfilling promises, and send a clear message that the owner will not sell and will do things his way. Also get in a manager who will not piss everyone off and then get him to make noises about how he is his own man, loves the club etc etc.

If I was the new Head of Communications that is exactly what I would advise. Win over the waverers, put doubts in the mind of all but the most vociferous protesters and try to weather the storm in the hope it runs out of steam or that results improve.

Results likely to keep playing into protesters hands, but whether the momentum can be maintained into next season (when results are likely to get better because it's Division 1!) and whether it is too late for Meire to save her sorry ass remain the issues.
  • Henry irvings comments under the article certainly pull no punches lolz

A. Do you think Steve Clarke Is Henry ?
    B. Yet another in joke ?
    C. Power is going to My(your) head. ?
    D. Anyone that doesn't agree with me is an enemy
    E. Whooooooosh.
    ????!
    Cut and past next time Rodders.

Found it, and accept a 1000 apologies.

will be protesting as loud as anybody tomorrow.

all this complaining is going to my head. :blush:
    Ha ha no worries
  • The best article yet and one which well and truly holds Duchâtelet up to the light. The input from the Belgian journalist is particularly interesting and insightful, particularly for readers who are more distant from the crisis at our club.

In addition to the sheer quality of Owen Gibson's article, it serves to push us further up the news agenda and sets the scene nicely for Saturday's demonstrations.

As for Katrien's latest gibberish, for me, it only serves to underscore the fact that the enemy are well and truly on the run. Onwards !
  • Excellent article; well-informed and sympathetic, rather than just easy ridiculing of the current on-pitch form.
  • edited January 2016
    LuckyReds said:

Think Owen was charmed by her in the end. He replied to my tweet saying it could be down to her second language. Not join. That, she is fluent in English

This excuse sounds like complete unadulterated BS.

I understand it's different, and that the Swedish education system is generally looked upon as one of the best in the world, but whenever someone talks about second languages in business I remember a conversation I had in a sports bar in Lund, Sweden. I got talking to a chap who used to work at Sony, and now worked across the water in Copenhagen - I asked him about his Danish, or whether Swedish was close enough to be understandable in the context of the workplace. His repsonse was, to quote, "This is business. In business you either speak English or you die, I even haven a t-shirt with that on it.".

He even bemoaned having to deal with clients in Newcastle because their English was poor, naturally I told them they were essentially foreigners to us Englishmen too. ;)

However, anyone I've liaised with professionally from another country has had impeccable English. I have worked with people from all over Europe, and a few Eastern European countries aside (predominantly ex-soviet countries which still seem to identify with the Russians - i.e Latvians), their English has far surpassed that which would explain Katrien's performance as mere linguistic nuances.

A deeply unfair excuse to hide behind because it gives others a bad name and is an injustice to those who work and run businesses here without any such nonsense.
    Very true. I've managed teams pretty much all over the world. Amazing that the ones whose grasp of English suddenly became much sketchier were the ones I was giving a hard time for not getting the job done well enough on time.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a terrific article and really gets to the main issues that are destroying our club by exposing the ineptitude of the CEO but also highlighting that she is also being hung out to dry by her boss. If I was her I would be updating by CV and getting the hell out that would be the best result for her and the club.

It also highlights the main flaw in the grand design and that is the money invested has gone in the wrong direction instead of building a Championship standard team that could be augmented by the youngsters coming through he has piled money into the academy but ignored the fact that you need a decent team to play week in week out.

I have to ask myself how the hell this guy made his money if this is how he formulates strategy within his businesses. It proves that you cannot be an expert at everything and that different disciplines/businesses have completely different requirements to gain success and this guy doesn't recognise it.

We all have our failings but one of the worst is believing without any doubt that you are always right, that is going to lead to disaster at some point and it has at our club. I just wish he would go away and exercise his delusions elsewhere.
  • Allison, shut your mouth was the deafening chant the covered sang to Malcolm Allison back in the early 70's during a game against Palarse, just needs Katrins name or even Pinocchio inserting instead on Saturday. Plain, simple and to the point
  • I have no wish to offend the legal profession but with your legal background you appear totally absorbed by "representing the client" where you focus exclusively on presenting the arguments of your client and/or his company in the face of ever mounting evidence and public condemnation of crimes against professional football in general and Charlton Athletic in particular.

You appear completely incapable of understanding the value of the arguments put forward by others, dismissing and as if in some fictional episode of Law & Order, trying to discredit their evidence as coming from the aged, infirm, fundamentally weird and/or 2%. Though it could be argued we do fall under the "Special Victims" category.

Fabulous insight - spot on.
  • Blucher said:

As for Katrien's latest gibberish, for me, it only serves to underscore the fact that the enemy are well and truly on the run. Onwards !

Roland always running
    Katrien running too
    If you come round The Covered End
    We'll be running after you

Charlton Charlton (I'm forever blowing bubbles)
  • edited January 2016

Allison, shut your mouth was the deafening chant the covered sang to Malcolm Allison back in the early 70's during a game against Palarse, just needs Katrins name or even Pinocchio inserting instead on Saturday. Plain, simple and to the point

You start it and I'll join in. We won 1-0. Killer scored, a Friday night iirc, att 28,000.
  • SDAddick said:

This is a big deal. It should be noted that Owen Gibson is their (or one of their) #1(s) for the print paper. He has done a lot of investigatory work around FIFA, the Olympic stadium, and various other high profile causes, and he is a very good, proper investigative journalist. It's great to see him pick up this story, and the Guardian is usually good that once they get a story/expose, they write follow-ups.

Owen Gibson lives in Charlton, attends matches at The Valley five or six times a season with his child (though supports Chelsea). He was guest speaker at Trust AGM which he mentions in article. He's a really good guy and credit should go to @PragueAddick for building a relationship with him through the Olympic Stadium campaign.

I agree - a good balanced article. But how will RD as 100% owner respond? His other 4 clubs are doing well: St Truiden in a play off position for the Europa League, Ujpest in 2nd position in Hungary with automatic qualification for the Europa League, AD Alcorcon are in the play offs slot for promotion to La Liga, Carl Zeiss Jena are 3rd in Regional League North-East in Germany (and have conceded just 9 goals in their opening 18 matches). He might regard 4 successes out of 5 as being a good return and just allow himself more time to ''turn around'' Charlton.

The picture of him from Belgian reports as an inflexible arrogant multi-millionaire may well be true - but if he isn't selling, then........?

If we go down and stay down or drop further he might sell up I guess, but to whom, and at what price?

In the meantime we should hope Riga might just turn it around and keep up the pressure via local MP's and the local authority for more dialogue with the supporters.
  • Charlton was ahead of everyone else in having a fan on the board. It opened its doors to the fans very early on and didn’t suffer at all and gained from it,” said Efford. “Perhaps Charlton could consider reintroducing that in the near future to take the fans with them.”
    Quite, whatever happened to that?
    Millwall still do

They must have found a legal loophole that allows people to be directors.
  • Allison, shut your mouth was the deafening chant the covered sang to Malcolm Allison back in the early 70's during a game against Palarse, just needs Katrins name or even Pinocchio inserting instead on Saturday. Plain, simple and to the point

Several chants at Hull/Huddersfield of " Lie in a minute. She's gonna lie in a minute"

• SDAddick said:

This is a big deal. It should be noted that Owen Gibson is their (or one of their) #1(s) for the print paper. He has done a lot of investigatory work around FIFA, the Olympic stadium, and various other high profile causes, and he is a very good, proper investigative journalist. It's great to see him pick up this story, and the Guardian is usually good that once they get a story/expose, they write follow-ups.

Owen Gibson lives in Charlton, attends matches at The Valley five or six times a season with his child (though supports Chelsea). He was guest speaker at Trust AGM which he mentions in article. He's a really good guy and credit should go to @PragueAddick for building a relationship with him through the Olympic Stadium campaign.

I agree - a good balanced article. But how will RD as 100% owner respond? His other 4 clubs are doing well: St Truiden in a play off position for the Europa League, Ujpest in 2nd position in Hungary with automatic qualification for the Europa League, AD Alcorcon are in the play offs slot for promotion to La Liga, Carl Zeiss Jena are 3rd in Regional League North-East in Germany (and have conceded just 9 goals in their opening 18 matches). He might regard 4 successes out of 5 as being a good return and just allow himself more time to ''turn around'' Charlton.

The picture of him from Belgian reports as an inflexible arrogant multi-millionaire may well be true - but if he isn't selling, then........?

If we go down and stay down or drop further he might sell up I guess, but to whom, and at what price?

In the meantime we should hope Riga might just turn it around and keep up the pressure via local MP's and the local authority for more dialogue with the supporters.
    Doing well in leagues that are not that good to be honest.
  • Sickening. She will say anything to save her bacon. One lie after another as per usual. "The beauty of the Championship is it's the most competitive league in the world." This is why they won't shed a tear when we go down. It will enable them to gear down the running costs of the club. There will be far less supporter expectation and we might be more competitive so they will get less heat. Their record will tell it's own story when they are gone. The people always win in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's the most competitive league in the world yet they give us a League 2 budget

and expect us to compete

again
  • If you come round The Covered End
    We'll be running after you

Too much information