Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SLP Article - Is José Riga a rebel?

Comments

• The truth is we have no option but to support the manager and hope he means what he says. He has not been found wanting when it came to being honest in the past. He got lost for words when he spoke at the valley at his last home game so I would say he IS an honest albeit diplomatic person. Karel was delusional, Jose deals in reality. Whether he can keep us up ? well I think we are down anyway so I am prepared to believe in him until he proves me wrong. Being 'here for Charlton' means he sees where we are at but has to not upset too many people if he is to get to the end of his 18 months.
  • @MickCollins comment is persuasively argued as usual, and I am certainly not going to claim that Riga is the best person we could and should have hired at this point.

However Mick's narrative has glossed over one small but important aspect of what we understood to have happened since Fraeye was finally booted out. We understood, from Richard Cawley was it not, that Riga was first lined up before the Ujpest guy. Somebody, authoritative enough for Cawley to take seriously, briefed him on that. Then it did not happen and Riga put out a statement saying he had not heard anything.

I would like to know more about this episode. At the time people surmised that at first Riga had dug his heels in before agreeing (although his reported statement goes against that).

I wonder, Mick, whether you can clarify this episode, and indeed if you know more about why the Ujpest guy did not come. Certainly in Hungary it is believed that he turned it down, although here in the centre of the universe the preferred narrative is that the regime bottled it in the face of the ferocious backlash on Charlton Life.

I understand you may not feel able to write freely but it would be good to get any insights you can provide, so that we understand better how this mad regime works.

I understand that our Katrien said that she would resign if the Hungarian was appointed and that also his son advised him not to take it because of the toxicity that surrounds the club (no doubt amongst other things). I also understand that Riga drove to Roland's house and pimped himself to get the job!!
    You would know about pimping yourself for the job, wouldn't you Karel!
  • @MickCollins comment is persuasively argued as usual, and I am certainly not going to claim that Riga is the best person we could and should have hired at this point.

However Mick's narrative has glossed over one small but important aspect of what we understood to have happened since Fraeye was finally booted out. We understood, from Richard Cawley was it not, that Riga was first lined up before the Ujpest guy. Somebody, authoritative enough for Cawley to take seriously, briefed him on that. Then it did not happen and Riga put out a statement saying he had not heard anything.

I would like to know more about this episode. At the time people surmised that at first Riga had dug his heels in before agreeing (although his reported statement goes against that).

I wonder, Mick, whether you can clarify this episode, and indeed if you know more about why the Ujpest guy did not come. Certainly in Hungary it is believed that he turned it down, although here in the centre of the universe the preferred narrative is that the regime bottled it in the face of the ferocious backlash on Charlton Life.

I understand you may not feel able to write freely but it would be good to get any insights you can provide, so that we understand better how this mad regime works.

I understand that our Katrien said that she would resign if the Hungarian was appointed and that also his son advised him not to take it because of the toxicity that surrounds the club (no doubt amongst other things). I also understand that Riga drove to Roland's house and pimped himself to get the job!!
    Excuse me! Sorry if I am 'off message' but this is true.
    If you could be bothered to look it up you could see that I have been a member since March 2014 and if you really believe me to be Karel then you must be a moron but maybe this is your form of sarcasm....
    Incidentally I think it was Riga that quickly jumped into Chris Powell's job was it not? They may have even passed each other on the drive at Sparrows Lane!
  • edited January 2016
    being a glass half empty character, I'm inclined to side with mick collins view.

I see no reason why riga would have any special affiliation to us, aside from avoiding relegation. he wasn't here long enough. and he isn't curbs or powell, who obviously do.

while I hope he does the trick. any words issued from a manager or the club are just part of the well oiled p r machine, so I really don't think we can read too much into what he says. I mean his hands are more than likely tied.
  • edited January 2016

mogodon said:

I've only lurked back to see how things are going, but I'm going to have a go at guessing this.

Jose Riga's come back to work for an owner who failed to re-hire him in fairly humiliating circumstances, after he'd achieved exactly what the bloke had asked him to achieve, the first time he had the job.

His major talent appears to be not taking personally, habitual and regular rejection from his employer. He's a rebel without a pause. If Charlton is like a shipwreck, sliding gently below the water, Jose Riga is merely the bloke currently wearing the captain's hat, not waving, but drowning. When he falls in (as he will) someone else will put it on.

The ship, I fear, will continue to sink. All very sad.

Really well-argued assessment. I harbour a suspicion - and I so hope I am wrong - that Riga's 'on your side' rhetoric is carefully crafted at winning over fans. Any PR consultant worth his salt will have advised him that is vital and that to do so, then there is a pressing need to publicly distance yourself from the unpopular owners. Few could survive the battering Fraeye endured and so, hey presto, the fans have the one RD manager not to have utterly failed to keep them happy.

RD doesn't do desperation. He could have hired anyone - there's no shortage of unemployed managers as today's announcement on sackings shows - so why hire someone who says he will do it his way and who 18 months ago was considered a worse option than the bellends who have followed.

It's all a bit designed to take the sting out of the protests. As will be the replacement of Meire which is sure to follow.
    "RD doesn't do desperation. He could have hired anyone.."

But he DIDN'T hire anyone.

Partly because a British manager would have meant dishing out too much of his "hard earned" and we know how tight he is. But there aren't many options left inside his network.

Maybe, it has finally dawned on him that relegation would seriously damage his financial aims for our Club and feels that Jose is the only available manager he knows who might be our saviour again....In effect, the Second Coming.

I could be wearing rose coloured specs of course, but I'm giving JR the benefit of the doubt & hope others will too.

He came in & quickly made an impression last time so why not again ?

Time is something he doesn't have though & I sincerely hope he has something in place with RD regarding bringing in the necessary reinforcements.

We are so used to disbelieving everything that the Belgians say - let's not tar our new manager with the same brush.

Keep the faith.
    Because he inherited the remains of an alrightish side, still with a bit of fight left. Now he gets a group of individuals, some of whom seem to be trying to throw themselves through the exit door.

(having said that, Fraeye is supposedly not here now , so it's not all bad!)
    are you sure?
    Well, as far as we can tell. But it wouldn't surprise me if there is a bell tolling for him at somewhere else in the network
  • I think is his own man and will say what he thinks, his time at Blackpool hints at that as much as any of his dealings with CAFC and RD. Whether or not what he says will always be right and whether or not RD will take nay notice or not I don't know.
  • The whole Hungarian Hokey Cokey was staged to give Riga an - I'm my own man image - all utter bollox

If you could be bothered to look it up you could see that I have been a member since March 2014 and if you really believe me to be Karel then you must be a moron but maybe this is your form of sarcasm....
    Incidentally I think it was Riga that quickly jumped into Chris Powell's job was it not? They may have even passed each other on the drive at Sparrows Lane!
    So as much as you loved Karel, you now seem to dislike Riga? All very odd.

Also intrigued how you are now aware that Karel is unemployed for the first time in his life?
  • Karel got the Job as Riga's assistant in March 2014

I've been found out......

Karel told me that he is unemployed for the first time in his life - not that it will get any sympathy from many on this forum!
  • Sponsored links:

Dammit - is there no way we can get the Hungarian to make this happen? Riga Out Riga Out Hungarian In Hungarian In

Apparently you'd be the one to know as you were sat next to him "masterminding" his driving :wink:
  • Riga is the only man roland can call on when the shit its the fan, I do have faith in riga,and i am optimistic his input can save us from league 1, looking forward to Saturday for the first time this season, it's still black and white for me, I'm gonna support the team and protest to the regime, no matter what the result.
  • Given Riga's first signing and the rest of the obvious BS all you naive fools are missing, I'd say Riga is a better coach than the rest but one frequently employed by RD. There is a reason why that is and RD is no shrewd employer is he? Let's try and fill in the gaps here shall we...
  • Nice try but no hot dinner for you.
  • Sponsored links:

Desperate, I think what you've said is plausible.

However, when defending Fraeye previously, you claimed it was on the basis of one conversation at somewhere like a football club (not Charlton).

So how are you now so knowlegeable ?

Genuine question, because I'd like you to somehow substantiate, what you've said please.
  • Karel got the Job as Riga's assistant in March 2014

I've been found out......

Karel told me that he is unemployed for the first time in his life - not that it will get any sympathy from many on this forum!

To be honest , I am one of the few who does have sympathy for you/him. He was offered a job that was beyond his capabilities and unsurprisingly came unstuck pretty quickly. The true blame lies with Roland because he put him in that position and hoped for the best and if he is now unemployed then RD really has a lot to answer for.

Hopefully something else crops up soon because, underneath the pro network facade we were subjected to in your post match interviews and beyond, there is a decent guy just trying to make his way as a coach. Maybe a change of employer might be just what he needs.
  • @MickCollins Yep that sounds all possible. Like the analogy of Riga as most recent blast shield.

Difficult for me to see Duchatelet selling unless he has 500 people amped outside his house making it personal to him.

He thinks he has a plan, experimental but affordable to him. He is probably sheltered by enough 'Yes' people to mean that even the press coverage in the UK which is quite significant, can pass him by as he wont be told about it.

But, the longer, the noisier and the closer the protests get to his shield wall, the more he must think about what it's taking to keep his limited balls in the air. He must have had to deal with Fraye and Riga himself and for sure his family is involved as they run Ujpest. So it may not be sudden but the pressure will mount and he will be spending too much personal time for what should be, in his mind, a sideshow run by trusted lieutenants.

Keep the pressure on.
  • Yeah I agree. Big on supporting the dignified protests, hopeful they may have enough impact to, if not shake out Roland then at least make the rat change its behaviour.

Not hopeful we can achieve removing him without it being in his face in his back yard which I can't see happening.

Unless we sponsor the Calais refugee camp to move to outside his house. Which we can't.
  • The experimental subject can change the experimenter and the experimental techniques. Any serious experimenter has to react to the perceived results of the experiment in later design of the test
  • DOUCHER said:

The whole Hungarian Hokey Cokey was staged to give Riga an - I'm my own man image - all utter bollox

Agree. Give Meire a low profile and appoint Riga whilst quoting a soundbite from Duchatet.

Trying to play supporters like a fiddle.

Good article but Riga is no more a rebel than vegetarian spouting the virtues of broccoli whilst managing a branch of McDonald's. Lip service and a nice man but another network yes man.