Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What can Riga do to get the players in the right mindset?

Comments

• Will he consider selecting Ansah, Pigott and Obileye rather than some of the more expensive names on the pay-roll?
  • I hope not, as they are not going to save us.
  • Riga could probably get a deal on a job lot of these.
  • Interesting summary ... I agree with the conclusion
  • Waterboarding.
  • I understand people frustration and major disappointment over the players performances this season to this point but whether we like it or not there is simply nothing to be gained from reflecting on the past 10 days. Saturday to all intense and purposes was an audition for those selected. Everyone will know how badly they have performed. The issue is very simple. It is the future battle facing the club.

We now face a 19 game season which we start with a 5pt penalty.

Riga has to assess which players he feels CAN contribute to the battle NOW. His assessment has to be made on the basis of their fitness, their experience, their playing attributes and their appetite for the fight.

At that point it is a straight, hard talking individual dialogue with each chosen player to determine just how much they are up for the task ahead and for working, no matter the other personalities involved, for the team, for the club, for the supporters, within a team discipline he defines. No ifs, buts, maybes you are either in or you are out.

It is a zero tolerance exercise.

Make no doubt there are those who can play and be successful at this level. Whether at present there are enough with the fitness, appetite and spirit for the task in hand is another question. Hence Riga's call for additional help.

There are not enough leaders on the pitch/ in the squad. Those we do have are now showing the strain of having had to carry the burden, of this appallingly constructed squad, until this point.

Due to executive pressure successive coaches have blurred the edges of the objective. Such lack of focus has been football suicide. There is now no more time for people to adjust to the Championship, be their recent origins the European mainland or India. We have no time for youngsters to develop. We have no time to carry those still recovering from long term. You can either play/ compete at this level now or should not play at all.

Much will depend on the resources made available and the short term fitness prospects of Bauer, Diarra, Lookman.

To date the squad has been assembled on a "fingers crossed", "all being well", and "with a following wind" basis. Amateurish does not even begin to describe it. There is barely a player who does not have a question mark against their ability to contribute to the battle.

There are circa 50 players registered.

1. BG - very good player, does not appear mentally strong and has lost his appetite for the game
    2. Cousins - good player, mentally strong, starting to look weary but will be important in the trenches
    3. Harriott - a good player when confident - confidence is the key
    4. Henderson - good keeper, mentally strong, a leader but an injury risk
    5. Jackson - good player, mentally strong, a leader at 33 does he have enough legs for the weekly fight?
    6. Pope - good keeper but does he have the mental strength to step up to the plate if needed
    7. Poyet - good player, mentally strong still a relative novice
    8. Solly - good player, mentally strong, has to manage a long term injury and already looks fatigued
    9. Watt - very talented player, not mentally strong but if channelled can have an appetite for a fight

Short Term Injured?
    10. Bauer - good player, seems mentally strong, will he be fit enough to return for the battle?
    11. Diarra - very good player, mentally strong, a leader, at 34 does he have enough legs for the weekly fight?
    12. Lookman - very promising player but temperament unknown - big ask for a young player

BIG Question Marks

13. Ba - Inconsistent - will the same player turn up 2 weeks running?
    14. Fox - There is a player there but lost his way - has long needed a rest
    15. Johnson - Was a good player but it is a big ask to come from playing in India to get back up to speed
    16. Makienok - There is a player here if played in the right system with the right support - can he fit in?
    17. Vaz Te - Can be a very good player if used in the right way - suspect temperament can Riga get him right?

Not fit for purpose

18. Bergditch - decent pedigree but when you consider the struggles at left back where the hell has he been?
    19. Reza - good player, far too inconsistent far too unreliable

Long term injured/ Not Championship Match Fit

20. Kashi is out for the season
    21. Vetokele should be deemed out for season - it is unlikely he will recover full fitness and form this season
    22. Cebellos should be deemed out for the season - luxury player who has barely played for 2yrs
    23. Moussa should be deemed out for the season - has barely played for 18 months
    24. Williams should be released back to Middlesboro - has barely played for 2yrs

Not Ready for this Championship survival battle

This not a job for kids

25. Charles Cook, 26. THD, 27. Kennedy, 28.Konsa, 29. Lennon, 30. Mitov, 31. Pigott, 32. Sarr, 33. Thomas 34. Umerah

Other young professionals

35. Ansah, 36. Aribo, 37. Barnes, 38. Edwards, 39. Hanlan, 40. Kelly, 41. Lapsie, 42. Obileye, 43. Staunton

On Loan

44. Ahearne-Grant 45. Dmitrovich 46. Muldoon 47. Parzysek 48. Phillips 49. Sho Silva 50. Tucudean

Acquisitions will be key - There is quite literally no spine to the team/ squad thus there is no shape, no pattern to work to, no default set up which players can work with. It is not something you learn over night.

Depending on the fitness of Bauer & Diarra if I were Riga I would be asking for a minimum of 3 -5 players - WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Central Defender
    Central Defender/ Left Back
    Attacking Midfield
    Attacking Midfield/ Secondary striker
    Striker

Riga is a decent coach but he is not the Messiah.

Thanks @Grapevine49. Enjoyed reading that.

I know this sounds crazy but I'm actually starting to look forward to the "Mission Impossible" facing Riga and the boys.

Avoid relegation and we would have see a bloody exciting end to the season!

COYR!
  • I understand people frustration and major disappointment over the players performances this season to this point but whether we like it or not there is simply nothing to be gained from reflecting on the past 10 days. Saturday to all intense and purposes was an audition for those selected. Everyone will know how badly they have performed. The issue is very simple. It is the future battle facing the club.

Riga has to assess which players he feels CAN contribute to the battle NOW. His assessment has to be made on the basis of their fitness, their experience, their playing attributes and their appetite for the fight.

At that point it is a straight, hard talking individual dialogue with each chosen player to determine just how much they are up for the task ahead and for working, no matter the other personalities involved, for the team, for the club, for the supporters, within a team discipline he defines. No ifs, buts, maybes you are either in or you are out.

Make no doubt there are those who can play and be successful at this level. Whether at present there are enough with the fitness, appetite and spirit for the task in hand is another question. Hence Riga's call for additional help.

There are not enough leaders on the pitch/ in the squad. Those we do have are now showing the strain of having had to carry the burden, of this appallingly constructed squad, until this point.

Due to executive pressure successive coaches have blurred the edges of the objective. Such lack of focus has been football suicide. There is now no more time for people to adjust to the Championship, be their recent origins the European mainland or India. We have no time for youngsters to develop. We have no time to carry those still recovering from long term. You can either play/ compete at this level now or should not play at all.

Much will depend on the resources made available and the short term fitness prospects of Bauer, Diarra, Lookman.

To date the squad has been assembled on a "fingers crossed", "all being well", and "with a following wind" basis. Amateurish does not even begin to describe it. There is barely a player who does not have a question mark against their ability to contribute to the battle.

1. BG - very good player, does not appear mentally strong and has lost his appetite for the game
    2. Cousins - good player, mentally strong, starting to look weary but will be important in the trenches
    5. Jackson - good player, mentally strong, a leader at 33 does he have enough legs for the weekly fight?
    6. Pope - good keeper but does he have the mental strength to step up to the plate if needed
    8. Solly - good player, mentally strong, has to manage a long term injury and already looks fatigued
    9. Watt - very talented player, not mentally strong but if channelled can have an appetite for a fight

Short Term Injured?
    10. Bauer - good player, seems mentally strong, will he be fit enough to return for the battle?
    11. Diarra - very good player, mentally strong, a leader, at 34 does he have enough legs for the weekly fight?
    12. Lookman - very promising player but temperament unknown - big ask for a young player

BIG Question Marks

15. Johnson - Was a good player but it is a big ask to come from playing in India to get back up to speed
    16. Makienok - There is a player here if played in the right system with the right support - can he fit in?
    17. Vaz Te - Can be a very good player if used in the right way - suspect temperament can Riga get him right?

Not fit for purpose

18. Bergditch - decent pedigree but when you consider the struggles at left back where the hell has he been?

21. Vetokele should be deemed out for season - it is unlikely he will recover full fitness and form this season
    22. Cebellos should be deemed out for the season - luxury player who has barely played for 2yrs
    23. Moussa should be deemed out for the season - has barely played for 18 months
    24. Williams should be released back to Middlesboro - has barely played for 2yrs

This not a job for kids

25. Charles Cook, 26. THD, 27. Kennedy, 28.Konsa, 29. Lennon, 30. Mitov, 31. Pigott, 32. Sarr, 33. Thomas 34. Umerah

35. Ansah, 36. Aribo, 37. Barnes, 38. Edwards, 39. Hanlan, 40. Kelly, 41. Lapsie, 42. Obileye, 43. Staunton

On Loan

44. Ahearne-Grant 45. Dmitrovich 46. Muldoon 47. Parzysek 48. Phillips 49. Sho Silva 50. Tucudean

Acquisitions will be key - There is quite literally no spine to the team/ squad thus there is no shape, no pattern to work to, no default set up which players can work with. It is not something you learn over night.

Depending on the fitness of Bauer & Diarra if I were Riga I would be asking for a minimum of 3 -5 players - WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Central Defender
    Attacking Midfield
    Striker

Has Grapevine ever answered a 'Would ya' thread?

;-)

• I did actually email KM with the suggestion or a history lesson for our players to get them to buy into CAFC a little more several months ago...but no acknowledgement.

I'm flabbergasted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Violence, they focus the mind
  • Very sobering post from the excellent Grapevine.

When you consider those players he lists from 1-9, they should be the "spine" of the team as it stands, albeit that 2 of them are 'keepers.

When the remainder are considered, I have my doubts that Bauer & Lookman will be seen again this season.

And the rest have huge question marks against their names for one valid reason or another.

Conclusion ?

We have barely 11 players that should be wearing the shirt as long as they stay clear of injury or suspension.

RD's policy of quantity v quality is there for all to see.

And it ain't working.
  • It's gana take a game where every player is giving it 1000% where they are all match fit plus a nice chunk of luck for us to win a game at the moment from here. It will be a nervy battled out 1-0 most likely, if when we do pick up 3 points.

Soon as we get the 1st win under Riga things might start looking like that have more possibility and heads may rise a bit. Confidence (although still extremely dented) increases.

This would be a very very hard job for any manager at this point. Can't believe I'm gana say this but to be fair to fraeye, even though he was out of his depth and by no means appropriate for the role, he inherited collectively a shit team that had lost a lot of self respect and belief. How the hell was fraeye out of anyone going to turn it around and make a difference? I know he didn't do himself any favours but he had a tough job even back then

I really don't want to say the damage has already been done but THIS will be one of Charltons hardest ever relegation battles in our history.

Have we got the spine and will power to see it through? After the week we've had, you would objectively have to say no.

I believe in you charlton, somehow.
  • Riga is a decent coach but he is not the Messiah.

That is my big problem with this appointment - it's lazy & harks back to a very short term success he had with us in entirely different circumstances a couple of seasons ago. I think we had one chance to get out of this mess & appoint someone, however expensive with the technical experience to get us out of this. Riga was a failure at Metz very recently, and his records with Blackpool (excusable) & his return to Standard were hardly awe inspiring.
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Grapevine - good detailed individual assessment.

I would say, we can only rely on 2,3,4,5,6,10 & 11. I would also include 9, but he's on the naughty step & 12 but he's likely to be sold anytime soon. 1& 17 have a proper sulk on. 13, 18 , 19, 22 & 23aren't good enough for Championship football. 14 & 16 are having a go, but have serious flaws in their games. I haven't seen 17 yet, on account of swerving away games after Reading away, where we took 27 passes to cross the halway line on one particular occasion. That was enough for me. 20. & 21 can't play 3 games in a row, but would improve the team if fit. 6 is back-up. 24 had a double Achilles tear, he shouldn't be here.

I agree we need 4/5 reliable players now to change the character of the squad. You have the list spot on. When we start up AFC Charlton in a few years time, put yourself down as a scout.

If it is true, that two senior players were dragged into a meeting with Miere, Murray and Fraye, to discuss the head coaches position and asked to take responsibility for the recent performances, then that's the dressing room gone. The players will have had a meeting to discuss it and decided they are employed by a regime that's trying to protect its own and doesn't give a toss about them.
    0-5 & 0-6 results on the trot, backs that up, and smacks of every man for himself from now on.

This squad is fractured and the dressing room is shot to pieces. Riga has an impossible job. He won't be able to get the necessary players in. The nutcase in charge thinks he's already done it!

LOL Tut-Tut I thought you were referring to squad numbers, as I went through them I was wondering what the bejesus you were on about!!!
  • The revival, if there is to be one, will need to start with clean sheets. At least with a clean sheet, we get a point. This means having Bauer and Diarra fit or getting in some experienced replacements that can just slot in. Sarr, Johnson and Williams are just not good enough and it is asking a lot of Lennon to be a key man at his age. It seems that Bauer is some way off being fit and getting good replacements in January are unlikely. It looks like a tall order to me.

Cheap points become available in the last month of the season but it is likely to be too late.
  • I do a bit of part time work for an old publisher in his 70s who has refused to move with the times, in short his empire is crumbling, if he took advice it might save his business, but he stoutly refuses too and when in a panicked situation tries to learn on worn out techniques that can't yield significant revenue.

I think our RD is in a very similar mind set, for him to keep going to a well that is dry, in this situation, when everything points to the need to entirely alter the approach or watch the club go into free fall, is madness.

If Curbishley was brought in he might say similar things to Grapevine, yet it would be met with constant interruptions whilst presenting, constant justification as to why a certain decision was made, as opposed to recognition that the approach is not viable.

We are like North Korea, cut off from interaction, unable to attract anyone sane to dig us out and at the mercy of a maniac.
  • In fairness, Kim Jong-il does communicate with his people. And executes badly-performing underlings.
  • mogodon said:

In fairness, Kim Jong-il does communicate with his people. And executes badly-performing underlings.

From the grave, impressive.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2016
    I really was hoping that whichever manager they found would come as part of a set backroom team that they could install. Many good managers only function with their one or two most trusted advisors/sounding boards to operate with as a tight-knit team. Euell could go back to learning his trade, inter-Wim could disappear into the ether.

It seems so far that Riga has just shown up on his own, and will be working with one assistant that should be nowhere near that team, and another that has barely any experience at all.
  • After a couple of losses, Curbs used to stop the rot with a defensive team. 5 across the MF with wide right and left being able to defend. In fact he never had a wide player that was not prepared to graft and could defend. 1st job - don't lose.
    If Gudders and Harriott not up for the job then only leaves Homes-Dennis and Charles-Cook to play those positions.
    I think Harriott will be. That still leaves us 1 short in midfield if we do not play kids - and that is just to get a first team out with JJ playing. So two more MF needed urgently.
    Two centre halves urgently needed. Arsenal have a few and so do Liverpool. It is this sort of quality we need. We all know the 'buts'.
    This is what I think is a minimum to give us a chance of staying up.
    Oh, and we need them in today. Finger out RD.

• I understand peoples' frustration and major disappointment over the players performances this season to this point but whether we like it or not there is simply nothing to be gained from reflecting on the past 10 days. Saturday to all intense and purposes was an audition for those selected. Everyone will know how badly they have performed. The issue is very simple. It is the future battle facing the club.

Due to executive pressure successive coaches have blurred the edges of the objective. Such lack of focus has been football suicide. There is now no more time for people to adjust to the Championship, be their recent origins the European mainland or India. We have no time for youngsters to develop. We have no time to carry those still recovering from long term injuries. You can either play/ compete at this level now or should not play at all.

Short Term Injured?

BIG Question Marks

Not fit for purpose

This not a job for kids

On Loan

Central Defender
    Attacking Midfield
    Striker

Really good summary... Only blot on your workbook is the fact that Sho Silva has returned from Inverness
  • Am I the only one that finds it shocking we have 50 (fifty) players there or thereabouts in our squad? Yet hardly any of them good enough. Omnishambles.
  • We will be better with Bauer, Diarra and Watt back. Good enough to avoid relegation? I don't think so, but good enough to win some games.
  • Blackburn and Rotherham are massive games. Winnable if we can strengthen a bit. We need to see one or two of the right type in by Wednesday at the latest, and |Watt back in the team for Saturday!
  • We will be better with Bauer, Diarra and Watt back. Good enough to avoid relegation? I don't think so, but good enough to win some games.

But not sure Bauer (groin injury still under investigation) and Diarra (broken metatarsal) will be back that soon.

• rikofold said:

I think his post-match interview was excellent, and suggests he already has a clear idea of what he wants to achieve in training. He also implied he would need some incoming transfers - 'help' as he called it. World apart from Fraeye and Luzon. Fingers crossed.

"help to me suggests more old boys in on loan. Alternatively, we could start advertising ourselves as a sort of footballing equivalent of the 'priory'. Players check in for various reasons, on a short term basis - use us to get fit, sort out their behaviour, anger issues, etc. then move on to where they really want to go".

Oh sorry......we already do that, do we? Fair enough.

But not sure Bauer (groin injury still under investigation) and Diarra (broken metatarsal) will be back that soon.

They won't. Unless they get injected up.
  • When you read Grapevine's post, it is staggering that with so many players on our books we are still unable to put out a competitive team. His assessment of the players is pretty much spot on. But that is based on their performances to this point. We have seen before that Riga has the ability to bring the best out of some players. Where he differs from other appointments, is that he seems to be a man who is firmly on the side of the players and the supporters and has in the past, gained their respect. One can get the impression that he tolerates his boss only because he has to, but he is really working for us the fans and for CAFC, the club. It is my hope that the players will see this very quickly, and will fight for Riga and for us, in a way that we haven't seen for a very long time.