Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Credit to Curbishley

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
I know many on here want to rewrite history and deny the tremendous job he did for Charlton but it cannot be denied that he has galvanised a dispirited, disorganised West Ham side and saved their Premiership status.

He has now indisputably proved what a great manager he is. Sadly it is at our expense.

Comments

• Options
    Not now, eh Len - not exactly the time for that sort of post is it?
  • Options
    has he fuck - they've cheated the system simple as
  • Options
    cheating fookers deserve to be relegated even if Curbs is in charge.....
  • Options
    yer but we all know they won't.It's called sods law and sods law never ever goes in Charlton's favour.
  • Options
    Bottom line is that it's not fair- it's not right, but it is happening.

I think Len is right about what he says about what Curbishley ( note he's not Curbs anymore) has seemed to have managed to do.

But I'd rather talk about it a little later! It's pi$$ing me off bigtime now.
  • Options
    I agree with you Len but if we are to go down and WH stay up then I fervently hope we finish 2nd bottom and NOT 3rd bottom as this Tevez thing is a bloody disgrace.
  • Options
    Nothing like a smug so and so saying 'I told you so' is there?

He's done well with Pards squad, and Pards has done well with the shit left to him
  • Options
    agreed. With the added help of the F.A.
  • Options
    How about the amount of dosh and luck he has had.
  • Options
    Most managers could have kept the Hammers up with 18mill to spend in January.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You ask any west ham fan, they all say the same thing "with 18 million I could have kept us up"

Alot of that team were bought by Pardew our current manager.
    Carlos Tevez, the goalscorer of TWO thats right TWO goals today shouldn't have been playing for them all season.

They should have been docked points FACT.

Its not an excuse its just a little something called justice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]How about the amount of dosh and luck he has had.

The "goal" at Blackburn springs immediately to mind.
  • Options
    the million chances Arse missed against them...it all started when he left...and by the way we gave Dowie 12m...Curbs is a good manager....Pards is good but I do question tactics against Readning and Man City away.....
  • Options
    Yeah but Curbishley was given £18 million in JANUARY. Thats after spending on players in the summer.

You can't question Alan Pardew. Christmas eve we was dead and buried and hes turned it into a good old fight and we aint dead just yet. Pards will motivate them. If we didn't have pardew I don't think we would have even made over 25 points.
  • Options
    west ham have had ridiculous luck. Allardyce leaving, arsenal playing like turds, goals being given to them, premier league hearings going for them and all at just the right time to boost them. No doubt man u will have safely wrapped up the title so they have an easier ride there.
  • Options
    They've certainly had some luck, but they've made the most of it and have picked up the points when they absolutely had to.

I think we'd have given it a go in last few months with any manager (i.e. not Uncle Les) worth his salt, but we've fallen short at the crucial time.
    Bolton might have played poorly today, but is anyone sure that we'd have got a similar result if we'd have been playing them?
  • Options
    We have to finish above Wigan - just 18th and then take West Ham to the cleaners via the Premier League - 10 points deducted please ;-)

Pardew is turning our club around and it's a shame he wasn't available earlier.

Curbishley / West Ham have been lucky and we will have to wait and see if the legal advice to the four clubs amounts to anything next week.
  • Options
    Curbishley is an excellent manager, one of the top ten working in this country. There can be no doubting that, we knew it for a number of years, and now it is happening somewhere else.

But he is no 'god' Len, that's for sure.He left us with a squad that the majority of us said 'is going down next season'. It appears as if the omens are conspiring in their favour; the dodgy win against Blackburn with the false goal, the win against Arsenal when they could lost 9-1, the incorrectly signed player suddenly turning into one of the top 3 influential players in the Prem, the Premierships ridiculous sentancing, everything has gone their way. He has galvinised then enough to take advantage of it, but to me its still more luck than judgement. I still won't have anyone say he is not a very good manager though.

If we go down, so be it, we're all brave enough to live with it. But West ham won't solely be kept up by Curbs miracle working.
  • Options
    Curbs did a great job for us but with the benefit of hindsight it is clear that once Parker the rot set in - face facts Len, he left us with sh*t squad and we were in dire relegation form since October 2005.

I would rather be where we are now than still have had Curbs in charge because the last two or three seasons were sh*t to watch - I honestly could not bear it.

As for West Ham, Tevez who shouldn't even be there is the ONE AND ONLY reason they have been winning - watch Match of the Day if you don't believe me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Nothing like a smug so and so saying 'I told you so' is there?

He's done well with Pards squad, and Pards has done well with the shit left to him

Not often we agree Rothko but you are absolute unequivocally SPOT ON MY MAN
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I know many on here want to rewrite history and deny the tremendous job he did for Charlton....

Time to name names Len. Who are the many on here then?
    I reckon I am on this board as much as anyone I cannot recall EVER seeing anyone say what you have suggested.
    In a recent poll on here 99.9% agreed that he should have gone, yourself included. Many believed he stayed too long.
    HE needed a change and so did we.
    Personally I didn't have any affection for him, but to be fair I do not think that was something he ever courted. I found him dour and cold and his post/pre match interviews repetitive and inarticulate. The football he served up to the home fans over his last 2 years was shocking.
    However, I have never and would never undermined what he achieved for the club over his 15 years. I have total respect for the man as a football manager as a whole.
    If you are going to make such statements Len you need to back them up with hard evidence.
    He is not anything to do with us anymore and never will be again.
    I have two words to say to you Len:

MOVE ON!
  • Options
    I think you're right there Chirps.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I reckon I am on this board as much as anyone I cannot recall EVER seeing anyone say what you have suggested.
    In a recent poll on here 99.9% agreed that he should have gone, yourself included. Many believed he stayed too long.
    Personally I didn't have any affection for him, but to be fair I do not think that was something he ever courted. I found him dour and cold and his post/pre match interviews repetitive and inarticulate. The football he served up to the home fans over his last 2 years was shocking.
    However, I have never and would never undermined what he achieved for the club over his 15 years. I have total respect for the man as a football manager as a whole.
    If you are going to make such statements Len you need to back them up with hard evidence.

MOVE ON!

Brilliant post, seconded!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I know many on here want to rewrite history and deny the tremendous job he did for Charlton....

MOVE ON!

OK, when I said "on here" maybe that should more accurately have been here and netaddicks. DFT, Greekmaster, Golfaddick and Bournemouth addick are 4 off the top of my head that have directly blamed Curbs for our predicament. Plenty more have made comments along the lines of well Curbs kept us in the Prem but the football was boring. Still more have said that we are in the position we are in because of the sh** squad he left us.

I reproduce from another thread my thoughts on that:

Curbishley was offered but rejected a new 4 year contract a year before his existing contract expired.

He was prepared to see out his existing contract but The Board, Richard Murray, whoever decided that he should leave immediately.

I'm not going to express an opinion here as to whether that was the right or wrong decision.

However it is an undeniable FACT that nobody knows what squad changes Curbishley would have made had he stayed because he wasn't given the opportunity!!

That is why it irritates me that people whinge about the sh** squad Curbs left us with. Curbs was never allowed to see out his contract and finish the job. It is therefore wrong and unfair to lay any blame at his door for the events of this season.

To tackle the other points you raise:

1) the poll. Yes I questioned whether Curbs should have been offered a 4 year deal. However (admittedly maybe with an element of hindsight) I would have liked him to see out his contract to enable us to get the right man first time.

2) I have "Moved on" I just don't like seeing Club legends rubbished or unfairly blamed.

Most people on here (and netaddicks) know that I am and have been a staunch defender of Radostin Kishishev. It is apparent that Pardew does not rate him otherwise he would not have let him go to Leeds on loan.

More than once I have stated that I am so confident in Pardew that I accept his decision unquestionably about a player I personally think still has something to offer.

Nowhere have I questioned Alan Pardew. I think that suggests that I have "moved on!"
  • Options
    Curbishley, no doubt, is a legend as far as Charlton are concerned.

I personally feel he stayed a season or two too long, and had lost his drive and run out of ideas.
    But take nothing away from the man. He deserves all the plaudits going - and also had the integrity to realise his time was up at The Valley and to move on.

And he did.

Anything else is just conjecture.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think that's he is a tosser personally. You can never underestimate what he done for us and for that I'm grateful but now he's gone he's really getting on my t*ts. His latest pop at the loan system for example. Didn't mind taking advantage of it when he was our Manager but now he says it's wrong. Well if it's wrong why did you previously take advantage of it ? Anyone with principle's would'nt have used it and to have done so and to now bleat about it is very two-faced. He wouldn't have railed against it when our Manager because he would have thought that it didn't carry enough clout but now he manages a 'big' Club he thinks his views will be more respected than when manager of Little 'ol Charlton. Sorry but I'm really beginning to dislike the man.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm in the "Len" camp on this one. I still find it hard when watching Curbs with his slightly hounded look, to think of him other than our manager. Am I weird? Probably but when somebody did for our club what that man did week in week out, year in year out for 15 plus years; when he spend night ,after night, after night travelling across the country and into Europe trying to dig the valued gems to enhance our squad, I WILL NEVER LOOK UPON HIM WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN TOTAL RESPECT AND AFFECTION.

That he has gone back to his "roots" is fine. I have two adopted children, they have two families, the ours and their birth one. Their past is part of them and what makes them special. When they are old enough, they may want to contact their birth family. I don't despise them for that, it's part of their life and I will encourage them and support them if they want to do this. So for me it is the same with Curbs. He's a Hamsters boy, I don't begrudge him for one second wanting to be the Hamsters manager. We are rivals now and that is perfectly fine. I wanted us to stay up, if necessary at West Hams expense. I wanted us to stuff West Ham in February. Pards is our manager now and I give him my total support in that role.

Curbs is still one of our family though and a legend here. For me that will never change.
  • Options
    Curbs is still one of our family though and a legend here. For me that will never change.

+++++++++

Could not have put it better myself, well said Bing.
  • Options
    Count me in that camp as well Bing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'm in the "Len" camp on this one. I still find it hard when watching Curbs with his slightly hounded look, to think of him other than our manager. Am I weird? Probably but when somebody did for our club what that man did week in week out, year in year out for 15 plus years; when he spend night ,after night, after night travelling across the country and into Europe trying to dig the valued gems to enhance our squad, I WILL NEVER LOOK UPON HIM WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN TOTAL RESPECT AND AFFECTION.

That he has gone back to his "roots" is fine. I have two adopted children, they have two families, the ours and their birth one. Their past is part of them and what makes them special. When they are old enough, they may want to contact their birth family. I don't despise them for that, it's part of their life and I will encourage then and support them if they want to do this. So for me it is the same with Curbs. He's a Hamsters boy, I don't begrudge him for one second wanting to be the Hamsters manager. We are rivals now and that is perfectly fine. I wanted us to stay up, if necessary at West Hams expense. I wanted us to stuff West Ham in February. Pards is our manager now and I give him my total support in that role.

quality.