Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton join Arsenal and Liverpool in hunt for Charlton prospect Lookman

2»

Comments

• I can't believe how many times I've seen the word "If" in this thread.

There's still a little optimism left at least.
  • edited December 2015
    We may never see him play for us again ! Will stay out injured until midnight on the 31st of December. Then a new year miracle recovery will see him transferred. Fee undisclosed.
  • Why are we worrying what the fee might be,? it wont be reinvested into the club.

To be fair, it probably will, it'll just be on some third choice u21 Moldovan keeper and a 22 year old centre half from La Liga who has played 4 games in 5 years
  • Why are we worrying what the fee might be,? it wont be reinvested into the club.

Or announced. It'll be undisclosed with rumoured prices ranging anywhere from 2m up to 8m if he scores a hat trick in the 2022 world cup final
  • _MrDick said:

Before we let him go he surely needs to get some experience of playing at Ujpest or Alcorcon ...

No, that's where his replacement will come from.
  • Also I can't help but chuckle and think of some bloke in a Southampton anorak scowling, screwing up his programme and going "owwww", stamping his feet when lookman wasn't even involved.

Actually, I think the Southampton Anorak would have been quite happy. At least it was an opportunity to run another eye over Bergditch before they offer silly money for him ;-)
  • Seriously, I'd think Soton would be a good move for Lookman. A premiership team with a good coaching set up that's noted for producing stars of their own. Do some time there, get a couple of dozen Premiership games under the belt and then move to one of the really big boys at a price they'd never pay us.

As for us, I'd be amazed if we keep him for six months (if that). Still, it hardly matters, there's a never ending stream of young talent in the pipeline isn't there. Isn't there?
  • They would be insane to sell him in January he is our leading Championship scorer after only 5 league games (one as a sub').
    But unfortunately most of the club's decision making after the Belgian invasion has been potty! Selling Kermy & Morrison unbelievable!!

Indeed. What a shocking reflection that our most attacking players - Mak (2), Watt (2), Reza (2), KAG (1), JBG (2), Igor (0), Vaz Te (0) have had 59 starts between them and managed just nine goals in total.

• Stig said:

Seriously, I'd think Soton would be a good move for Lookman. A premiership team with a good coaching set up that's noted for producing stars of their own. Do some time there, get a couple of dozen Premiership games under the belt and then move to one of the really big boys at a price they'd never pay us.

As for us, I'd be amazed if we keep him for six months (if that). Still, it hardly matters, there's a never ending stream of young talent in the pipeline isn't there. Isn't there?

Imagine if our CEO was smart enough to negotiate an "undisclosed" sell-on fee too!
  • pettgra said:

We should play a little hard ball here. Offer a new contract to the lad and tell him that it is entirely his choice whether he signs it or not. Whether you do or not you will definitely not be sold in January unless it is an unbelieveable offer. We will then review the situation in the summer. We will not be railroaded into selling you in January by your agent or anyone else.
    No need to bully him, just make things very clear.
    I do not believe Roly wants to sell him....................yet.
    Bit simplistic I suppose.

FAR too simple for this regime, mate.

"Logic" is yet another word that has a different meaning in Flemish.

• Sponsored links:

• true i mean who would have thought that the word "competitive" in Flemish translates to "dog shit" in English ?
  • apart from being a terrific young player with lots of potential, another thing I REALLY like about Lookman .. is that he only has a single surname .. so easy to type
  • We said it about Poyet, Gomez..... Offer a big pay rise and keep him with us for two years and let the price go up. (Obviously that involves professional managers and coaching staff, not Fraeye and the Marx Brothers who have engineered the current fitness levels our squad are exhibiting). Don't just sell to the first idiot who comes by with a pony in his wallet.
  • pettgra said:

We should play a little hard ball here. Offer a new contract to the lad and tell him that it is entirely his choice whether he signs it or not. Whether you do or not you will definitely not be sold in January unless it is an unbelieveable offer. We will then review the situation in the summer. We will not be railroaded into selling you in January by your agent or anyone else.
    No need to bully him, just make things very clear.
    I do not believe Roly wants to sell him....................yet.
    Bit simplistic I suppose.

FAR too simple for this regime, mate.

"Logic" is yet another word that has a different meaning in Flemish.

You are so right unfortunately. Sigh.
  • They would be insane to sell him in January he is our leading Championship scorer after only 5 league games (one as a sub').
    But unfortunately most of the club's decision making after the Belgian invasion has been potty! Selling Kermy & Morrison unbelievable!!

Indeed. What a shocking reflection that our most attacking players - Mak (2), Watt (2), Reza (2), KAG (1), JBG (2), Igor (0), Vaz Te (0) have had 59 starts between them and managed just nine goals in total.

Don't want to flag this, but we really need something the opposite of Like/Lol!!
    TelMc32 said:

Am I the only season ticket holder that is yet to see him play for us?...........

No Les...we have so many no-shows, that we have more scouts who have seen him than season ticket holders!!
    Sorry @tangoflash I was going for a whoosh moment with the news of the Southampton scout / Les Reed missing out on seeing him. Must remember to be less subtle in future!! :wink:
  • Southampton buy Lookman for undisclosed fee and after one or two seasons flog him to Man' City for £30m and they were in administration six years ago!
    Is there that much to fear if Roland decides he's had enough.
  • Surely all Southampton players go to Liverpool or has that ended now that Rodgers has gone?
  • edited December 2015