Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton join Arsenal and Liverpool in hunt for Charlton prospect Lookman

Exclusive: The Saints' chief scout travelled to Burnley on Saturday and was "disappointed" that Lookman didn't feature in the match.

Full story:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14159784.Southampton_join_Arsenal_and_Liverpool_in_transfer_battle_to_sign_Charlton_Athletic_prospect/

Comments

• Les Reed would do wonders with him .. that'll be 15 million please Les .. then he's all yours
  • Unfortunately I expect he will go, possibly in January but definitely by next summer. I just hope we can get a good fee, although that will be undisclosed.
  • The vultures are circling, He will be gone in the Summer.
  • Could the season get any more depressing? Yup, yup it could.
  • Am I the only season ticket holder that is yet to see him play for us?...........
  • edited December 2015
    foxjam said:

Unfortunately I expect he will go, possibly in January but or definitely by next summer. I just hope we can get a good fee, although that will be undisclosed.

Fixed that for you.
  • The two bits of 'news' from RM when the takeover happened...

- With this new lot in charge we will not have to sell our youngsters for low prices.
    - RD is so old he will want to get us promoted quickly as his time is running out.

Neither has really worked well to date.

We will never build a team to get out of this league when we sell our best kids after half a season of games for us.

Clearly not blaming RD or anyone apart from the reality of modern day football for this but it is somewhat depressing to think of a team with Shelvey, Jenks, Solly, Poyet, Gomez, Lookman, Palmer, Cousins all playing. What a nucleus of young, English, homegrown players that would be.

We'd be put in the same bracket as Southampton and in the prem if we somehow kept hold of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also I can't help but chuckle and think of some bloke in a Southampton anorak scowling, screwing up his programme and going "owwww", stamping his feet when lookman wasn't even involved.
  • Am I the only season ticket holder that is yet to see him play for us?...........

No Les...we have so many no-shows, that we have more scouts who have seen him than season ticket holders!!
  • You would think they'd do their homework and see he wasn't likely to play given the injury.

Fecking all tinpot clubs down on the south coast
  • TelMc32 said:

Am I the only season ticket holder that is yet to see him play for us?...........

No Les...we have so many no-shows, that we have more scouts who have seen him than season ticket holders!!
    Les??
  • I can hear RD opening the champagne.
  • Chelsea according to this, with mentions from City and Spurs. Basically let's link half the premier league to him and eventually we'll be right.

Chelsea are leading the race to sign Ademola Lookman from Charlton Athletic.

According to the Daily Mirror, the Blues are ahead of Premier League rivals Manchester City and Tottenham as the race for the 18-year-old forward heats up.

Lookman has attracted attention after scoring three goals in Charlton's past four Championship matches following a stint playing park football with Waterloo FC.

It is believed that the Addicks have no intention of losing Lookman anytime soon and could offer the talented attacker a new and improved deal in a bid to fend off any outside interest.

Apart from Chelsea, City and Spurs, there is further interest in the youngster in the form of Arsenal who are also believed to be keeping tabs on his form.
  • We should play a little hard ball here. Offer a new contract to the lad and tell him that it is entirely his choice whether he signs it or not. Whether you do or not you will definitely not be sold in January unless it is an unbelieveable offer. We will then review the situation in the summer. We will not be railroaded into selling you in January by your agent or anyone else.
    No need to bully him, just make things very clear.
    I do not believe Roly wants to sell him....................yet.
    Bit simplistic I suppose.
  • I can hear RD opening the champagne.

Nah he's a cheap bugger remember... He'll only have had a bit of a sip from the Joe Gomez sale...

He'll just take another sip when Lookman goes and so forth
  • edited December 2015
    The odd thing is, that had we had better luck with injuries/bigger squad/main striker being a problem child, then Lookman probably wouldn't have got anywhere near the 1st XI yet.
  • Simonsen said:

The odd thing is, that had we had better luck with injuries/bigger squad/main striker being a problem child, then Lookman probably wouldn't have got anywhere near the 1st XI yet.

I have a feeling with Roly around he would. Any one between the age of 16- 21 is fast tracked.
  • Sponsored links:

• The News Shopper will be happy, as the BBC's Football Gossip page has linked to this story. All those extra clicks on their website!

• If there is even the slightest modicum of sense at the club !!!! Then we keep Lookman until this time next year. By then he won't be a punt but a very desirable asset and worth much more than he will be at the end of this season.

I think he'll be gone in August.
  • No need to buy him he can go on a free back to the lower leagues in Belgium!!!
  • If we are going to sell him better to do it now before he signs a new contract and his agent sticks a low trigger clause in like Gomez.
  • Before we let him go he surely needs to get some experience of playing at Ujpest or Alcorcon ...
  • They would be insane to sell him in January he is our leading Championship scorer after only 5 league games (one as a sub').
    But unfortunately most of the club's decision making after the Belgian invasion has been potty! Selling Kermy & Morrison unbelievable!!