Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

7-6 Yes I was there

2»

Comments

• I like Ross was 12 when I saw that great game, but Ross remembers it a lot better than I did, I went with my cousin and we would never leave a game early those days when they got back to 6-6 I thought it was still great for us getting a draw but then to go on to win it brilliant, in those days we had no floodlights 2-15 kick off and by the time we had gone on the pitch after the game and the players had come out it was quite dark.
    In the 1960 6-6 with Middlesbrough Brian Clough played for them, and from the Huddersfield game Ray Wilson went on to play for England in the 1966 world cup final
  • I was there, standing halfway up the East Terrace and staying until the end- the first time (of not many) that I ran onto the pitch at the end (albeit the iron fence on the surround wall was only about 2ft high). The pitch was very muddy at the end, and we congregated by the grandstand chanting 'We want Summers' -the great man appeared briefly a few minutes later, waved shyly at the gathered throng then went back down the stairs. A mucky, grey, damp day, but what a memory!
  • Im pleased to say I was there and have since discovered there were about 500,000 others.
  • I was there at 10 years of age. I lost count of the score (my maths has since improved - I think)
  • edited December 2015
    I was there also aged 12. Never will I see another comeback like that. Truly the best game of football I have ever witnessed. In the dimming light I too recall the final goal being a diving header from Buck Ryan at the Jimmy Seed end. Possessed by pride and excitment I ran onto that muddy pitch afterwards and was part of the joyous throng demanding repeatedly, "We want Summers" (perfectly described by chilam above). I also remember the BBC whisking Johnny Summers off after the match to interview him on the television news to recount his experience. In memory of the match I purchased a brick and dedicated it to that remarkable game. "21st of Dec 1957, a glorious Summers Day".
  • Uboat said:

Did anyone leave at half time?

No but the fans booed relentlessly from the time Hudds' 3rd goal went in and it obviously did the trick.
  • Uboat said:

Did anyone leave at half time?

No but the fans booed relentlessly from the time Hudds' 3rd goal went in and it obviously did the trick.
    I can't remember any booing but after that result it's quickly forgotten.
  • Dad was there. Clearly a few old lifers around, not that these stalwarts mean anything to our owner, but they are as much part of our shared history as the players. When the players managers and owners have moved on its these oldies that keep our history alive.
  • edited December 2015

I like Ross was 12 when I saw that great game, but Ross remembers it a lot better than I did, I went with my cousin and we would never leave a game early those days when they got back to 6-6 I thought it was still great for us getting a draw but then to go on to win it brilliant, in those days we had no floodlights 2-15 kick off and by the time we had gone on the pitch after the game and the players had come out it was quite dark.
    In the 1960 6-6 with Middlesbrough Brian Clough played for them, and from the Huddersfield game Ray Wilson went on to play for England in the 1966 world cup final

Was just too young to be there but pretty sure my late father was. However I was at the 6-6 draw v Boro, the 7-4 and 6-4 home wins over Pompey and Plymouth respectively. We also beat Swindon 6-2 at home in that 1960/61 season but don't remember being at that one. We finished 10th in the old Div 2 scoring 97 (60 at home 37 away) and conceding 91, as you can see defences were on top in those days. :wink:
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406510556

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/