Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

7-6 Yes I was there

I was one of the genuine supporters who was there this day, behind the goal, which is now the Jimmy Seed stand

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2h2 hours ago
ON THIS DAY | In 1957, we staged the greatest comeback of all time, beating @htafcdotcom 7-6 at The Valley. #cafc

Comments

• Johnny Summers netted five, while 'Buck' Ryan scored twice as Charlton recorded an incredible 7-6 victory. #cafc

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2h2 hours ago
    With the Addicks 5-1 down, with 10 men, and just 27 minutes remaining, they rallied... #cafc
  • Old supporters will remember who their manager was that day
  • Did anyone leave at half time?
  • Must have been amazing to have been there - bet that's a memory that you'll always cherish.

Given that it's almost 60 years I wonder if there's a way of recording (through the museum perhaps) the memories of all the supporters still alive who were at that famous match so we can hold onto them forever ?
  • edited December 2015
    Uboat said:

Did anyone leave at half time?

Not in those days, wrong, yes they did
  • Did the manager say afterwards that we were the best team for 27 minutes?
  • How many were there? The atmosphere must have been incredible when we got back within a goal. When did they get their sixth?
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton Athletic (2–3–5): Willie Duff – Trevor Edwards, Don Townsend – John Hewie, Derek Ufton, Billy Kiernan – Ron White, Fred Lucas, Johnny "Buck" Ryan, Stuart Leary, Johnny Summers
    Huddersfield Town (2–3–5): Sandy Kennon – Tony Conwell, Ray Wilson – Ken Taylor, Jack Connor, Bill McGarry – Bob Ledger, Stan Howard, Alex Bain, Les Massie, Ron Simpson
  • Bill Shankly became manager of Huddersfield after Andy Beattie resigned in November 1956, so 1957–58 was his first full season in charge of the team. After the team's glory years in the 1920s, winning the 1922 FA Cup Final and leading the First Division for three consecutive years in 1923–24, 1924–25, and 1925–26, Huddersfield had been spent many years towards the bottom of Football League First Division. They were finally relegated at the end of 1951–52, but gained immediate re-promotion the following season. They came third in the First Division in 1953–54, only to be relegated again in 1955–56, and remained in the Second Division at the end of 1956–57.

Charlton Athletic had reached the First Division in 1936, been Division One runners-up the following year, and won the 1947 FA Cup Final, but were also newly relegated to the Second Division, having conceded 120 goals to finish at the bottom of the First Division at the end of 1956–57. Their manager, Jimmy Trotter, had replaced Jimmy Seed after his resignation in September 1956 ended Seed's 23 years in charge at Charlton.

The teams had already met on the first day of the 1957–58 season, at Huddersfield. Charlton were 3–0 up at half time, but Huddersfield scored 3 goals in the second half to secure a draw. After that, Huddersfield were having a moderately successful season in 1957–58, with 6 wins (3 away), 9 draws, and 6 losses (2 at home), but Charlton were doing better, and were in the race for promotion back to the First Division.

The teams met again just before Christmas.
  • ross1 said:

Charlton managed to keep Huddersfield at bay until half-time, and so trailed 2–0 at the break. Seeing little chance of a come-back, some of the crowd started to leave.

Charlton seemed lost, a man down and four goals in arrears, and an increasingly large number in the crowd turned towards the exits.

Hold on, Ross. That's not what you said earlier.
  • So it was 6-6 with a minute to go? Blimey.
    I don't think I would have been able to watch.
  • My Dad was there...said lots left at half-time...but he stayed.
  • Uboat said:

ross1 said:

Charlton managed to keep Huddersfield at bay until half-time, and so trailed 2–0 at the break. Seeing little chance of a come-back, some of the crowd started to leave.

Charlton seemed lost, a man down and four goals in arrears, and an increasingly large number in the crowd turned towards the exits.

Hold on, Ross. That's not what you said earlier.
    Sorry, but a long time ago and was only 12 surrounded by lots of people, apart from around me, it would have been difficult to see people in other parts leaving, but if the reported story says so, I must be wrong.
  • I was there when Charlton's 3rd team (I think) drew 6-6 with Snowdown Colliery in the Metropolitan League. Who else can claim that?
  • I was there and I'm sure it was a diving header from Buck Ryan,from J Summers cross.
  • My Dad was there...said lots left at half-time...but he stayed.

Same with my dad. One of my most treasured possessions is his programme from that game. I think there was a cup game against Huddersfield soon after because I recall he also had a Huddersfield away programme which he said had a higher than normal travelling away contingent....
  • CatAddick said:

My Dad was there...said lots left at half-time...but he stayed.

Same with my dad. One of my most treasured possessions is his programme from that game. I think there was a cup game against Huddersfield soon after because I recall he also had a Huddersfield away programme which he said had a higher than normal travelling away contingent....
    Didn't that one finish 0-0 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I was there, doing the breaststroke in Grandads bollocks!
  • I was there, doing the breaststroke in Grandads bollocks!

Was there enough room?
  • 400 million of us but plenty were moving out every night apparantly...
  • [ was also there .It was my first ever game at the valley [ was with my late father and my older brother who wanted to go home at halftime
  • My dad went with his next door neighbour who left when their 5th went in. Would not believe my dad when he got home and said we had won so he walked down and got both the evening papers (standard and express) to prove it.
    My dad played with Bill Shankley at Luton during the war and was also in the same RAF camp so knew him. Spoke to him after the match and he was surprised he was not angry with his side but seemed to be still in disbelief at what had happened.
    Still exciting reading about it after all these years. Must have been great to have been actually there.
  • First Charlton game I ever went to. My father had taken me to a couple of Millwall games, (sneaking me under the turnstiles) but on this particular Saturday I saw a poster on the bus shelter in Forest Hill for an excursion bus to the Huddersfield game and decided to go. I was hooked for ever. The rare occasions I can get to The Valley now, usually in the off-season, still brings tears to my eyes. Watching the Watford game this weekend reminded me of the warm glow supporters get leaving their stadium after a hard-fought win against a good team, there's nothing compares to that.
  • Bill Shankly never played Sandy Kennon in goal again after that game.
    So Derek Ufton told us at a Bromley (Widmore Rd) meeting, said he should have kicked the ball out!
    Pretty sure that Henry and a few other Charlton icons were at that meeting.
  • edited December 2015
    se9addick said:

CatAddick said:

My Dad was there...said lots left at half-time...but he stayed.

Didn't that one finish 0-0 ?
    Think it did. Definitely a draw.

[edit] Just looked it up 2-2 in 3rd Round of cup and we won the reply 1-0 (League game up there was 3-3 so that season we played 4 games and shared 24 goals)
  • My late Dad was there. He never left a game before the end.
  • I've seen the highlights on TV - black and white scarves everywhere