Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Challenging Mr D - some obstacles and a possible solution

2»

Comments

• I like the idea of buying a few £1 tickets. If 5000 tickets were bought, the club would have to have extra stewards and have extra catering as they would have to take the extra crowd into account. The attendance would be announced as 20000 with the ground still half empty that would embarrass KM.
  • Sorry GHF, this is not going to work.
  • edited December 2015
    I'm afraid it will only work if enough people are willing to try and make it work. That is the challenge. But it is a great idea. I'd find it nostalgic- almost a recreation of what the Valley and the club used to be. I appreciate, a good many supporters won't remember that time. The time when we sucked the ball into the net and won games for the team. The time when Sir Alex Ferguson said he found the Valley one of the most intimidating places to come. It would be great feeling that vibe for one day, even if it doesn't work with the arrogant fools we have running the club. But the message it sends out could have an impact beyond the day.

• Another thing - this would be a campaign, not a one-off. A chance for everyone to get the hang of it and for support to build.

Also, there would presumably be a significant cost for extra stewards/OB outside the stadium. How does that get explained away ?
  • The only way Duchatalet would take notice is if it physically affected him by him being there when protests happen. Would have to be non match days or in Belgium or at the airport etc though! Still think Miere gets off too lightly too.

• Another thing - this would be a campaign, not a one-off. A chance for everyone to get the hang of it and for support to build.

Also, there would presumably be a significant cost for extra stewards/OB outside the stadium. How does that get explained away ?

This is where I veer off- this has to be a one off or it wouldn't give the message that is required.
  • Dansk_Red said:

I like the idea of buying a few £1 tickets. If 5000 tickets were bought, the club would have to have extra stewards and have extra catering as they would have to take the extra crowd into account. The attendance would be announced as 20000 with the ground still half empty that would embarrass KM.

Not really - most stewards are required by the safety certificate anyway and catering costs have been outsourced.

This is where I veer off- this has to be a one off or it wouldn't give the message that is required.
    Perhaps you are right - certainly to wait to see what impact there is after the Big Day.

Incidentally, I discovered that Charlton is on more or less the exact same latitude as the Moehne dam (open Google maps and track straight East). Surely a good omen ?
  • I really can't support giving the club more money as a protest. M. Duchatalet appears to be spending the bare minimum on the club, we should be doing the same in return. Ms Meire is a slave to the pitiful budget given to her to to run the club. They weren't even going to replace the chief scout to save on salary ffs! Keep your money in your pockets, spend it on your family this Xmas. The fools that are running our club don't deserve another penny from us
  • edited December 2015
    I would do it to embaress the sh*te out of the owner and his inept CEO. Not as part of doing their jobs for them with no changes in their disgusting attitude to our great fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't disagree that my suggestion is highly implausible. However, the main purpose of this discussion was to provoke some thought about a strategy suitable for our difficult circumstances. Hopefully sooner or later that perfect idea will surface and off we go !!

In the meantime our dauntless Leader continues with his special experiment that turns diamonds into ashes ....
  • It is a nightmare. The only medicine we can easily apply to cure the affliction on our club, i.e. withholding our custom, may also be fatal to the patient!
  • LoOkOuT said:

There is an argument to make that if there is an explicit campaign to boycott catering, then there would be pressure brought on Katrien by Delaware North to explain what's being done about it. There may even be contractual obligations at stake.

Essentially, the contract between the club and Delaware North is a trade for access to the supporters that attend. A boycott that explicitly affects catering would expose the fragile nature of the club's ability to trade on access to supporters.

That's disruptive to the club's business relationships, embarrassing to club management and something that Katrien would be obligated to deal with.

The other aspects of your plan I don't think can be effective because of the amount of organisation and choreography that would be required, particularly because of the strong apathy and our relatively week supporters' groups (or to put another way, the supporters' groups aren't equipped or organised in such a away as to effectively execute these kinds of campaigns, because they haven't had to for 30 years).

I've always thought that boycotting the catering is the most effective option we have.
  • Missed It said:

It is a nightmare. The only medicine we can easily apply to cure the affliction on our club, i.e. withholding our custom, may also be fatal to the patient!

Exactly !! I refer the Hon Gentleman to my previous comments.

We are a club, a network, a clientele but above all a tribe, and once you're in, you're in for life !! It's both our greatest strength and our biggest weakness.
  • Dansk_Red said:

I like the idea of buying a few £1 tickets. If 5000 tickets were bought, the club would have to have extra stewards and have extra catering as they would have to take the extra crowd into account. The attendance would be announced as 20000 with the ground still half empty that would embarrass KM.

Extra catering.
    Ha ha ha ha.

• Such a dramatic display of disaffection would actually be very hard to ignore or explain away. One picture is worth a thousand words, right?

£20 per concessionary ticket seems very expensive. Just a thought - hi-jacking Kid for a quid would bring you TWENTY empty seats for your score ....

It's a question of finding winnable battles. It's simply untrue to say RD has done nothing good, nor is it feasible to attack a billionaire financially - his pockets are plenty deep enough. As for abuse, he's already seen and heard it all with Standard Liege - a lot worse, I imagine.

RD can only be persuaded or embarrassed into changing his ways. A sold-out stadium signifies a committed supporter base but when a third of the seats remain empty that sends the clearest possible message. Every ticket sold counts - use the club's own rule against it.

He certainly isn't going to be embarrassed but thousands of no shows, but who's to say he would even get to hear about it ? After all, Pinnochio is hardly going to tell him & I don't believe that he reads the Sun or indeed CL. He may well ask to be kept informed of how things are going supporter wise, what answer would he get ? My Target 20k is working, the ground is sold out even though we are rock bottom & heading to 3rd division, they seem so happy & we are even starting to attract Fulham fans to our games. I told you our drive into West London would be successful !
  • '
    se9addick said:

LoOkOuT said:

There is an argument to make that if there is an explicit campaign to boycott catering, then there would be pressure brought on Katrien by Delaware North to explain what's being done about it. There may even be contractual obligations at stake.

Essentially, the contract between the club and Delaware North is a trade for access to the supporters that attend. A boycott that explicitly affects catering would expose the fragile nature of the club's ability to trade on access to supporters.

That's disruptive to the club's business relationships, embarrassing to club management and something that Katrien would be obligated to deal with.

The other aspects of your plan I don't think can be effective because of the amount of organisation and choreography that would be required, particularly because of the strong apathy and our relatively week supporters' groups (or to put another way, the supporters' groups aren't equipped or organised in such a away as to effectively execute these kinds of campaigns, because they haven't had to for 30 years).

I've always thought that boycotting the catering is the most effective option we have.
    I think this is the way to go. I boycott them anyway as the service is terrible, the product is no good and it's vastly overpriced.

Delware North are a massive multi-national company. Ms Meire might be able to dismiss and ignore us but getting grief from a major contractor like them will cause her all sorts of dramas.

• Oh, I think Mr D would find out. I have just sent him a Christmas gift marked Personal and addressed to Fam. Duchatelet, c/o Stadion Stayen, Sint Truiden.

• Oh, I think Mr D would find out. I have just sent him a Christmas gift marked Personal and addressed to Fam. Duchatelet, c/o Stadion Stayen, Sint Truiden.

Sorry BQ but do you really think he'll be taking your gift home to open round the family Christmas tree. One of his "slaves" will open it at the ground & if not "required" will go straight into the bin.
    Wish i could be positive but I just don't believe your gift will get anywhere near the owner.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
    Boycott the catering, crossbars, Bartrams, Matchday programmes, Club Shop, Jackpot tickets, hospitality. Especially if you have already have a season ticket.

Sorry BQ but do you really think he'll be taking your gift home to open round the family Christmas tree. One of his "slaves" will open it at the ground & if not "required" will go straight into the bin.
    Wish i could be positive but I just don't believe your gift will get anywhere near the owner.
    Maybe you are right but it must be worth a try. I hope that in due course I get a nice reply (and not a restraining order).

• shirty5 said:

Boycott the catering, crossbars, Bartrams, Matchday programmes, Club Shop, Jackpot tickets, hospitality. Especially if you have already have a season ticket.

I think Delaware North should be specifically targeted for a boycott and it should be made absolutely clear in flyers/publicity that it is Delaware North that we are after. A general reduction in revenue can be explained away with falling attendances. Direct action against their sub-contractor demonstrates focus and intent by the fans and has an actual effect in the boardroom where they will have to deal with a stroppy client.

I guess its the business equivalent of "do as we say or the puppy gets it" but the owners care more about their budget and the bottom line than us. That's where we have to kick them and I reckon Delaware North have bigger boots than me
  • Sorry GlassHalfFull, but any ideas need to reasonably straightforward, in order to work. There is not a chance in hell that your idea could work.

If thousands have already boycotted, they are not then going to buy a ticket and still not turn up, let alone all dress in black etc. Sorry mate.
  • Missed It said:

shirty5 said:

I think Delaware North should be specifically targeted for a boycott and it should be made absolutely clear in flyers/publicity that it is Delaware North that we are after. A general reduction in revenue can be explained away with falling attendances. Direct action against their sub-contractor demonstrates focus and intent by the fans and has an actual effect in the boardroom where they will have to deal with a stroppy client.

I guess its the business equivalent of "do as we say or the puppy gets it" but the owners care more about their budget and the bottom line than us. That's where we have to kick them and I reckon Delaware North have bigger boots than me
    Delaware North and the company that runs the club shop must be one of the first lines of attack. Don't buy anything. However saying it on here is not enough.

Maybe a hand from our local papers would suffice
  • What ever action is taken it needs to be short, sweet and highly effective. We are at a critical stage of the season and our destiny is still very much in our own hands. We must try to avoid damaging the team as far as possible. I would much rather see a total and complete boycott of one unwinnable home game, than this gradual and continual drop off in attendances. Better to get it done, send out a very strong message with the threat that it will happen again unless something changes. We then all return and get 100% behind the team in the quest to avoid relegation. Three good signings, bring back Harriott and Watt, and a new manager and we can get out of this mess easily. As I see it we have a month to save our season and possibly the long term future of the club.
  • vffvff
    edited December 2015
    I have stopped buying anything in the club for a long time, no hot drinks, pies, or programmes. I have not been in the club shop for many, many months. I am not sure how bothered the club are by that. They were rumours of plans of selling the club shop and closing / drastically reducing the ticket office. It is like Duchatelet is really not bothered by this kind of income and alienating supporters further, who are walking away.

Duchatelet is a wealthy man, he does not seem to care about what is going on at the club, apart from setting a low budget, and trying to get a team for as cheap as possible. Apart from the Meire 20,000 lip service, I get the impression that if no are very few supporters turned up that would bother Duchatelet at all.

A good old fasioned protest after the game, may be good. That did for Pardew and the 1-5 against Sheffield United.

Like the idea of the thread though as trying to protest in a creative or positive way. The Poznan is good. I do think that he and definitely Meire are uncomfortable with negative publicity. Making sure that this gets heard and seen in Belgium is a good idea, I have read about. I have also heard about phone lights at a certain point of the game for all those not happy, a variation of Joe's spell it out posters. Could look good on dark late afternoons and very visual.

Something's got to be tried this season, as next season, there will be far fewer season ticket holders in the Championship, if Charlton manage to survive or get relegated to league one.

• What ever action is taken it needs to be short, sweet and highly effective. We are at a critical stage of the season and our destiny is still very much in our own hands. We must try to avoid damaging the team as far as possible. I would much rather see a total and complete boycott of one unwinnable home game, than this gradual and continual drop off in attendances. Better to get it done, send out a very strong message with the threat that it will happen again unless something changes. We then all return and get 100% behind the team in the quest to avoid relegation. Three good signings, bring back Harriott and Watt, and a new manager and we can get out of this mess easily. As I see it we have a month to save our season and possibly the long term future of the club.

We have so much choice..........
  • Surely the obvious time to do something is around Football for a Fiver? Might be too late by then, mind you...