Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Challenging Mr D - some obstacles and a possible solution

The Addicks faithful are nonplussed as, before their eyes, our fortress turns into a sandcastle.

Taking up the fight - the ultimate in friendly fire - seems unthinkable. For one thing, the "opposition" is extremely wealthy, a self-made man whose career and achievements command the greatest respect. He is our latest benefactor and has unquestionably done many good things for the club. How is it possible that he seems to have got this so wrong, and how do you tackle such a powerful guy ? He's clearly unafraid to follow his own path. Besides, being Belgian he's not bothered about confrontation, a place where you may not speak to (certain) neighbours for decades .... did you know that after their general election early in 2010 the Belgians took 589 days to agree an official government ? Twenty months from now could see us well on the way to League 2.

And even more daunting - to see our special club, our unique club ripping itself apart is just heartbreaking. Civil wars seldom produce a winner, only varying degrees of hurt and loss, and an infinite legacy of bitterness.

So how to change things, especially when the opponent has written the rules of engagement and holds the high ground - such a battle is surely unwinnable ?

Well, consider this. If an obstacle is insurmountable it is always possible to swerve past it and try from a different direction, so I propose the Charlton Sell Out Day.

On a day when the JS is likely to be full we too sell out the home areas. If you don't want to pay the full tariff you can always buy tickets for your granddad or the old guy down the street who used to go, or the kids and their mates. But, of course, many tickets will be a no-show. In a sold-out stadium there could be 8000-10000 empty seats, every one a silent accusation, the unmistakeable sign of an alienated supporter who has chosen to stay away.

Then - for the first half everyone dresses in black/dark clothes - not one bit of colour- and regardless of events on the pitch we sit in stony silence, the only exception to give a home goal a brief hand-clap. In such monochrome surroundings every scarlet seat stands out as stark as a gravestone. As the half-time whistle goes there is an almighty roar and all the black disappears to reveal the notorious sea of red. The second half is played out to wild enthusiasm, with every kind of celebration for the merest throw-in, bouncing, Poznans in the NU and so forth. The audio-visual impact of the respective halves would be inescapable and huge.

It's affordable, it's respectful and non-violent, As one who finds CL currently resembling a Tourette's convention I for one would welcome such a user-friendly and inclusive form of protest. Oh well. just a thought ....

Comments

• Our benefactor has done many good things for the club..........but he couldn't be bothered to stay and watch the Leeds match last Saturday.

Turn our backs on them I say..........Poznan style, just like RD is doing with our current struggle.
  • What's a sell out on top of 12k season tickets and 4K in the Jimmy seed stand? 11k at an average of what £20 a ticket including kids (or less) so that's around £220k

I reckon RD may thank us for our efforts but probably not bother to ask why we all spent the dollar.
  • Thought this was the erectile dysfunction thread.... *closes*
  • Nice idea but as Alwaysneil puts above RD would take the cash and probably never even notice the rest and we are too low down the press interest curve for it to even make an impact. Think he gets enough of my hard earned already.

• Such a dramatic display of disaffection would actually be very hard to ignore or explain away. One picture is worth a thousand words, right?

£20 per concessionary ticket seems very expensive. Just a thought - hi-jacking Kid for a quid would bring you TWENTY empty seats for your score ....

It's a question of finding winnable battles. It's simply untrue to say RD has done nothing good, nor is it feasible to attack a billionaire financially - his pockets are plenty deep enough. As for abuse, he's already seen and heard it all with Standard Liege - a lot worse, I imagine.

RD can only be persuaded or embarrassed into changing his ways. A sold-out stadium signifies a committed supporter base but when a third of the seats remain empty that sends the clearest possible message. Every ticket sold counts - use the club's own rule against it.
  • I dont understand, are you saying we buy a ticket but then dont go? Or are all the empty seats those people who have season tickets but are not currently attending due to the shambles of ownership? A little clarification, for those of us who havent fully woken up yet this morning :-)

• Then - for the first half everyone dresses in black/dark clothes - not one bit of colour- and regardless of events on the pitch we sit in stony silence, the only exception to give a home goal a brief hand-clap. In such monochrome surroundings every scarlet seat stands out as stark as a gravestone. As the half-time whistle goes there is an almighty roar and all the black disappears to reveal the notorious sea of red. The second half is played out to wild enthusiasm, with every kind of celebration for the merest throw-in, bouncing, Poznans in the NU and so forth. The audio-visual impact of the respective halves would be inescapable and huge.

"Charlton! " The Musical - coming to a theatre near you ;-)

• Thanks, all, for your comments (and for keeping them polite).

A Charlton musical, btw, would surely be Les Miserables ....

The main point I was trying to make is that RD cannot be bullied or intimidated into change. He can only be persuaded, shamed or perhaps bored into it. Buying a match ticket is the clearest possible expression of active support, and a collective no-show is an unmistakeable expression of dissent.

RD was the only one to step forward to put his money down and keep us afloat (no pitch pun intended), and doubtless for his own reasons he continues to bankroll us.

The club's stumbling administration, combined with a feeling that we're some kind of giant ant farm that every so often needs poking with a sharp stick, is a big enough problem, but bigger still is the failure of player and coaching staff recruitment. This was meant to be the major Network benefit. Well, even so Roland is not alone in such misjudgements - just our history between 2006 and 2008 proves that, and from which we have never really recovered.

Getting things to change will surely take something very special where our present ownership is concerned.
  • The only way for RD to take notice is in his pocket, if you have a season ticket, there is not much you can do until next season tickets go on sale, but for those who buy individual game tickets, DON'T. Do not buy merchandise if you go, and as the crowds gets smaller and smaller, so will the jingle in his pocket. Every penny you spend in the ground, is money to him. Don't waste your time protesting, he does not care. Do not pander to KM, joining "waste of time 20,000 meetings", you have got to be joking on this. They are just trying to move the goal posts and distract you from the truth. RD will not appoint a decent head coach, he will not pay out for decent players, he does not care what division we are in, apart from the fact, that he will get more for a championship club than a Div 1 or 2 when he sells.
    We have to stop arguing amongst ourselves, have different opinions, yes, but we all want one thing, a successful club. Everyone will consider a different scenario to what is success, but more than we have now. We were warned by Standard Liege fans what he will do, and he is doing that. He considers the training ground more important than the players. Easier to sell the club with good training ground.
    Unfortunately, I realised a while ago, that things will get worse before (if at all) they get better, and after playing youth football and watching the club all my life (I am 70), I have never felt so detached from the club I love.
    I will still follow the club and enjoy Redmidland's match comments, but expect nothing. I have never felt like this before with all the up's and down's we have had in the past, I was hoping to enjoy the club's progress for the rest of my life, but while RD is owner, it is not to be. Sorry to go on, and I know there are probably many who will disagree with me, but it is just how I feel.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
    The club will find operational issues much more inconvenient than any financial impacts, which in the grand scheme of things don't amount to much in the short to medium term. It's possible to cause a lot of inconvenience without doing anything illegal or even against the ground regulations and garner publicity to embarrass the owner in the process.
  • ross1 said:

The only way for RD to take notice is in his pocket, if you have a season ticket, there is not much you can do until next season tickets go on sale, but for those who buy individual game tickets, DON'T. Do not buy merchandise if you go, and as the crowds gets smaller and smaller, so will the jingle in his pocket. Every penny you spend in the ground, is money to him. Don't waste your time protesting, he does not care. Do not pander to KM, joining "waste of time 20,000 meetings", you have got to be joking on this. They are just trying to move the goal posts and distract you from the truth. RD will not appoint a decent head coach, he will not pay out for decent players, he does not care what division we are in, apart from the fact, that he will get more for a championship club than a Div 1 or 2 when he sells.
    We have to stop arguing amongst ourselves, have different opinions, yes, but we all want one thing, a successful club. Everyone will consider a different scenario to what is success, but more than we have now. We were warned by Standard Liege fans what he will do, and he is doing that. He considers the training ground more important than the players. Easier to sell the club with good training ground.
    Unfortunately, I realised a while ago, that things will get worse before (if at all) they get better, and after playing youth football and watching the club all my life (I am 70), I have never felt so detached from the club I love.
    I will still follow the club and enjoy Redmidland's match comments, but expect nothing. I have never felt like this before with all the up's and down's we have had in the past, I was hoping to enjoy the club's progress for the rest of my life, but while RD is owner, it is not to be. Sorry to go on, and I know there are probably many who will disagree with me, but it is just how I feel.

I agree with much of what you say. (I am a mere 68, btw.) It is so hard to feel this way about the club to which I have given a lifetime's support, especially as I am also an ardent European, when the thing in need of rescue is the thing most likely to suffer collateral damage in the process. In fact we are all hostages, held to ransom by our love for CAFC.
  • The club will find operational issues much more inconvenient than any financial impacts, which in the grand scheme of things don't amount to much in the short to medium term. It's possible to cause a lot of inconvenience without doing anything illegal or even against the ground regulations and garner publicity to embarrass the owner in the process.

Precisely.
  • Sorry GHF, but I'm just not getting this. It sounds to me that your suggestion is to give a billionaire free money.
  • Would it not be best to have a street party outside the ground while the game is played, no one go in. Like a strike of sorts. RD & KM will see the fan base that have been disenfranchised. Costs of the day will still be there which would leave RD out of pocket. He is a businessman, and revenue is what he understands.

• Stig said:

Sorry GHF, but I'm just not getting this. It sounds to me that your suggestion is to give a billionaire free money.

Understood, but it's not about the money - it's about the gesture. As mentioned before, at Kid for a quid you can sponsor a whole empty row of an East Stand block.
  • A club with an unhappy/disillusioned/ and dwindling support base is no good to anyone. Especially to a man who wants to make money out of the club.

We've already seen that he does stand up and take notice, as he did with standard liege. Their fans rallied together, protested and vocalised their disapproval of RD's ownership. Eventually he gave in to the pressure the fans put on him and sold up. Not before asset stripping some of the club's best players, admittedly but I'm sure the fans could live with that outcome and will still see it as a victory.

With a bit of media attention here and in Belgium to help us get our message across he may well pack up and leave. The blokes 70 odd years old. I'm sure he's said before in interviews that he doesn't really want the aggro - so let's give him some!

I'm already resigned to us playing league 1 football next season and the club feels like it's dieing. We need to start rebuilding the club we all love before we lose it forever. That is only possible with a Charlton man at the helm.

#RolandOut
  • But, he'll never see it. He'll just see the spreadsheet detailing the extra bunce and think, 'ooh that's good. we must be getting something right'. Meanwhile Pinocchio will be taking selfies of herself at some rave and posting them to Roly claiming how big the crowds are.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I think reducing his income not increasing it is the way to go on this.
  • 1989cafc said:

Would it not be best to have a street party outside the ground while the game is played, no one go in. Like a strike of sorts. RD & KM will see the fan base that have been disenfranchised. Costs of the day will still be there which would leave RD out of pocket. He is a businessman, and revenue is what he understands.

Absolutely.

If you let RD drive you away, he is setting the agenda. If you have a match ticket and come to the stadium but choose not to enter, that is your decision.
  • Stig said:

But, he'll never see it. He'll just see the spreadsheet detailing the extra bunce and think, 'ooh that's good. we must be getting something right'. Meanwhile Pinocchio will be taking selfies of herself at some rave and posting them to Roly claiming how big the crowds are.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I think reducing his income not increasing it is the way to go on this.

Agreed. As if he gives a monkeys whether or not people are buying hotdogs and match-day programs.

I think we are on the right track with the 2% campaign - we just need to up the ante a little to really drive the message home.
  • Sponsored links:

• The revenue per ticket sold will plummet. Ghosts do not buy programmes or beverages, and they don't need hospitality.
  • Could you imagine 25-30k supporters outside the stadium during the game. Singing Charlton songs. It would not only send shock waves to Belgium but the media would be straight on to it. Call it Celebrating Charlton Athletic or whatever.
  • I think that GHF is suggesting showing RD / KM, how good it could be, if he invested in a successful team and the fans returned.

The following home game would then presumably be a return to less than12k

I don't think it matters to RD. He invests in training ground / facilities with a view to producing a Poyet / Cousins / Gomez / Lookman / Holmes-Dennis, every season. Get them in the first team (shop window) and sell them to cover his losses. It all falls down, if / when the academy has a lean period. We won't produce players that can be sold for millions, every year.

We're screwed

• The revenue per ticket sold will plummet. Ghosts do not buy programmes or beverages, and they don't need hospitality.

It's only marginal anyway.
  • edited December 2015
    It is a good idea - it would show what the fans can do in a positive light - if we can do it that is. I think it is worth a try - maybe not calling it a sellout day but 'Our Charlton' day. Everything done outside of the club, showing that we can do what it can't. It should be made clear it is a one off until co-operation and respect returns from the top. The message should be that the club is stronger when it works with the fans. If the owner chooses to ignore it - well that is that, but I like the concept. Sort of giving him a glimpse and ourselves of what 'Our Charlton' is. We have some great experience on this site and I'm sure we could come up with ideas on how to make it happen. The day would be one of complete and total support and the question that we should pose before and after is, why do you want us against you, when you could have us with you? I'm sure my son could bring a couple of mates along and I could persuade some others easily enough. If we all did that.........
  • 1989cafc said:

Could you imagine 25-30k supporters outside the stadium during the game. Singing Charlton songs. It would not only send shock waves to Belgium but the media would be straight on to it. Call it Celebrating Charlton Athletic or whatever.

And (non-ST) tickets are handed back in marked "unused".
  • Nicely written piece GHF but utterly impractical. You have to find a way that people find easy to comply with and they are prepared to do. 'All wear dark clothes', forget it not a hope in hell. Remember the recent posters to hold up ? Half hearted response from a few, do you really think that is going to worry Roland, remember in his mind we are idiots and he is always right.
    I had hoped that we would get a home FA cup draw against minnows, that could have given us a chance to spread the message 'do not attend this game',and produce an empty Stadium with just a few away fans.
    That would have bought us a lot of publicity, and plenty of attention. The simpler your plan, the better chance you have of achieving a result.
  • LoOkOuT said:

The revenue per ticket sold will plummet. Ghosts do not buy programmes or beverages, and they don't need hospitality.

It's only marginal anyway.
    Maybe not to Delaware North
  • I think it would gain publicity and embaress him and KM more than a protest. If we can fill the ground we are highlighting their inability to do so, in fact the opposite trajectory they have set us on.
  • It is a good idea - it would show what the fans can do in a positive light - if we can do it that is. I think it is worth a try - maybe not calling it a sellout day but 'Our Charlton' day. Everything done outside of the club, showing that we can do what it can't. It should be made clear it is a one off until co-operation and respect returns from the top. The message should be that the club is stronger when it works with the fans. If the owner chooses to ignore it - well that is that, but I like the concept. Sort of giving him a glimpse and ourselves of what 'Our Charlton' is. We have some great experience on this site and I'm sure we could come up with ideas on how to make it happen. The day would be one of complete and total support and the question that we should pose before and after is, why do you want us against you, when you could have us with you? I'm sure my son could bring a couple of mates along and I could persuade some others easily enough. If we all did that.........

100%. To swerve the club and as far as possible make it irrelevant.