Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lowest home league crowd since the late 90s?

I remember a game in Sept 2010, MK dons at home when Paul Benson scored at the end and we won 1 nil. Think that had a shade over 13K, I thought that was the lowest crowd but Im guessing last night must be now....

In 97-98 our average was 13,275, the last season we had an average below 15K.

Comments

• Bigger crowds watch women's netball in Australia than were there at the Valley last night. I doubt there were more than 7000, and if people were standing it would have looked even more sparse.
  • but only 2% are unhappy so why such low no shows?
  • I didn't think the crowd was that bad last night in the home areas, not much different from other midweek home games. Where I sit in the centre of the East stand, all the regulars were there. The tweeted photos before kickoff were misleading, as the trains were screwed up

• March 1998 v West Brom - 10,923

Won 5-0
  • I didn't think the crowd was that bad last night in the home areas, not much different from other midweek home games. Where I sit in the centre of the East stand, all the regulars were there. The tweeted photos before kickoff were misleading, as the trains were screwed up

Looked less than Ipswich, which was very poor itself and certainly the lowest since the rearranged Doncaster match.

I didn't think the crowd was that bad last night in the home areas, not much different from other midweek home games. Where I sit in the centre of the East stand, all the regulars were there. The tweeted photos before kickoff were misleading, as the trains were screwed up

Whatever it looked like, they were the lowest reported figure for almost 20 years.
  • In the 'Wembley' year, my first home game that season was v Bradford, managed by Chris Kamara .. the crowd, in a smaller, still to be fully developed Valley, if I recall was around 7,500-8,000, perhaps a few more or less.
    We won 4-1. As the season went on and we became more and more successful, crowds increased of course, until at Wembley we had ??? .. who knows .. the point ? .. winning teams attract crowds .. when we get back in the groove, the 'fans' who only go when we're winning will return, gawd bless 'em

I didn't think the crowd was that bad last night in the home areas, not much different from other midweek home games. Where I sit in the centre of the East stand, all the regulars were there. The tweeted photos before kickoff were misleading, as the trains were screwed up

Whatever it looked like, they were the lowest reported figure for almost 20 years.
    and that alone should concern KM and RD

Looked less than Ipswich, which was very poor itself and certainly the lowest since the rearranged Doncaster match.
    That was a Saturday game to be fair, I'm thinking back to the unattractive midweek games earlier this season such as Huddersfield 13873, Preston 13586. The home areas didn't look much different to me.

A midweek game just before Christmas against unattractive opposition, and with poor weather was always likely to have a poor gate, it's just that the base we have now is lower...
  • edited December 2015

That was a Saturday game to be fair, I'm thinking back to the unattractive midweek games earlier this season such as Huddersfield 13873, Preston 13586. The home areas didn't look much different to me.

A midweek game just before Christmas against unattractive opposition, and with poor weather was always likely to have a poor gate, it's just that the base we have now is lower...
    Have to disagree with you on that. The Jackpot payouts at those games were £315 and £358 - it was £245 last night? There's a strong correlation.
  • Sponsored links:

Won 5-0

It was, actually, less that that as I forgot my season ticket and the club refused me my seat, made me buy another ticket, and failed to tell me I could apply for a refund so, ultimately, I 'purchased' two tickets for that game and only went once!

Won 5-0

It was, actually, less that that as I forgot my season ticket and the club refused me my seat, made me buy another ticket, and failed to tell me I could apply for a refund so, ultimately, I 'purchased' two tickets for that game and only went once!
    Yeah, but you got at least twice as many Charlton goals as the average game, so you can't complain!
  • In terms of ppl who would be willing to turn up regularly doing a successful period, thats probably something like 30K-35K Charlton fans (if you would call fair weather ppl that!). So up to 35K ppl with an interest in Charlton strong enough to turn up if the mood is right.

In a crap spell like now, it just reveals how many hardcore fans we have, and thats something like 8K?

Have to disagree with you on that. The Jackpot payouts at those games were £315 and £358 - I think someone said it was £245 last night? There's a strong correlation.
    Maybe, and I'm not trying to sound like an apologist (!), though many people did arrive late last night as the trains were completely screwed, nothing from London Bridge for half an hour? The first train arrived after kickoff, hence people would have missed the chance to buy jackpot tickets.

More importantly I missed the first goal!
  • CAFCTrev said:

In terms of ppl who would be willing to turn up regularly doing a successful period, thats probably something like 30K-35K Charlton fans (if you would call fair weather ppl that!). So up to 35K ppl with an interest in Charlton strong enough to turn up if the mood is right.

In a crap spell like now, it just reveals how many hardcore fans we have, and thats something like 8K?

I wouldn't call those who go to home games at the moment as hardcore at all. Naive possibly, sheeplike maybe but not hardcore. The hardcore are those who go away.

Have to disagree with you on that. The Jackpot payouts at those games were £315 and £358 - it was £245 last night? There's a strong correlation.
    I was there last night but, as part of my personal protest, no longer buy jackpot tickets.

I accept I could be alone in this.
  • LenGlover said:

I was there last night but, as part of my personal protest, no longer buy jackpot tickets.

You're not alone.

Very true! No trains up stopping at Charlton and not forgetting the blazing sunshine. Can we please blame KM for those two factors?
  • Only an individual protest but I am not attending matches, although I have a season ticket.
    Certainly will not renew unless effective changes are made, starting with KM out.
    Yes I am annoyed, Charlton are my club,I want to be there. But I cannot support the destruction, by their mismanagement and contempt, that RD and KM are inflicting on my club.
  • Sponsored links:

and that alone should concern KM and RD

Makes the 20,000 target seem laughable. What should really worry KM and RD is that many long-term regulars are giving up. Pretty much like the side did.
  • Only an individual protest but I am not attending matches, although I have a season ticket.
    Certainly will not renew unless effective changes are made, starting with KM out.
    Yes I am annoyed, Charlton are my club,I want to be there. But I cannot support the destruction, by their mismanagement and contempt, that RD and KM are inflicting on my club.

And yet your presence is counted at every home match. If season-ticket renewals collapse, as they will at the current rate of attrition, the 'published' attendances next season will be horrible even if somehow we stay up.
  • what is stupid is that achieving 20,000 crowds is simple. a decent product on the pitch and people will come. I'm not sure she didn't mean Target 2,000 and someone typed an extra 0 in error.
  • 10 minutes before kickoff, a lot of people will be in the concourses anyway.

And, as I said earlier there were problems with the trains so many people arrived late
  • They don't care about the target 20,000 crap - that's just lip-service to appease the trust whilst they get estimates for how much they'll get from the metal yard for the West Stand....?
  • To be fair last night is in the middle of Christmas party season and Christmas shopping season, the kids haven't broken up from school yet but do so at the end of the week so all parents need to have childcare issues coming up, it was piddling down with rain and all the roads were stacked up with slow moving traffic.

If the game had been played on a Saturday in March I'd have expected much more like 8,100 to be there!
  • LenGlover said:

You're not alone.
    I am here with you

Though we're far apart

You're always in my heart.........

• edited December 2015

LenGlover said:

You're not alone.
    The argument against that is that the Jackpot on Saturday was £528, the third highest of the season after QPR and Rotherham.
  • Can't recall the opo but may have been Bristol Rovers around 77-78 when there was around 3,500. I haven't got any records to look back on so sure someone could confirm this.....so we still have a fair way to go to reach this, though heading in the right/wrong direction.
  • We had about 3001 against Halifax in 1972. Even with Roland & Katrien's concerted efforts, I don't think we'll fall quite that far, will we ?