Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Did the good years ever happen?

2»

Comments

• MrLargo said:

I doubt that anyone has ever done as much damage to this club in such a short space of time as Roland and Katrien.

I'm as depressed as anyone else today, but if you are old enough to remember Hulyer and Fryer, you'd have to say both are still well ahead in the damage per month stakes. Then there is Derek Chappell, whose role in our downfall has never been properly scrutinised.

The difference being that Hulyer and even Fryer started from a much lower base with much more limited resources. Chappell is irrelevant here. You do sound like a spokesman for Richard Murray even introducing him at this point.
    This.
    Prague, your mate Murray needs to take a long hard look at himself.

This "your mate" stuff is pathetically irrelevant. But now is as good a time as any to ask you, and anyone else, this question.

Which Charlton ownership regime can you recall being 100% happy with?

I'll allow that 100% could mean only that you were not actively concerned that the owner's actions were making progress impossible, and creating a severe danger of making the club worse. But otherwise I'd ask people to either answer the question as written, or not at all. Which owner, which period of time?

And my purpose is not to score personal points. My point is entirely different, but I'll wait and see how people reply, before making it.
    I have never been so detached from this club as I am now. And there have been some pretty bad times historically .

It's on its arse as far as I can see.
    Well I certainly don't blame you for feeling that way and I am pretty worried myself.

However you didn't answer my question.
  • MrLargo said:

I doubt that anyone has ever done as much damage to this club in such a short space of time as Roland and Katrien.

I'm as depressed as anyone else today, but if you are old enough to remember Hulyer and Fryer, you'd have to say both are still well ahead in the damage per month stakes. Then there is Derek Chappell, whose role in our downfall has never been properly scrutinised.

The difference being that Hulyer and even Fryer started from a much lower base with much more limited resources. Chappell is irrelevant here. You do sound like a spokesman for Richard Murray even introducing him at this point.
    This.

This "your mate" stuff is pathetically irrelevant. But now is as good a time as any to ask you, and anyone else, this question.

I'll allow that 100% could mean only that you were not actively concerned that the owner's actions were making progress impossible, and creating a severe danger of making the club worse. But otherwise I'd ask people to either answer the question as written, or not at all. Which owner, which period of time?

And my purpose is not to score personal points. My point is entirely different, but I'll wait and see how people reply, before making it.
    I have never been so detached from this club as I am now. And there have been some pretty bad times historically .

Well I certainly don't blame you for feeling that way and I am pretty worried myself.

None of them.
  • MrLargo said:

This.

None of them.
    None? Ever? So how would any change of owner ever make you feel better? What would a good owner look like, to you?

• In answer to the thread title, YES, unfortunately for me, (I have been watching since I can remember, originally with my late father, I am 70), there have been good years, but not many. It is more good matches occasionally, than good years. The Lennie years were good and most of the Curb years, but the earlier years in the 50's-70's, you just went, without any expectation and hopefully enjoyed a Saturday afternoon of football. I do not think there has been much excitement since Curbs went, but never a dull moment. I know all this business with RD etc, will sort itself out, hopefully for the better, but after all these years of watching, I will sit back and wait for the odd match of excitement and put up with the usual Charlton merry-go-round. It would be nice to think we could become a premier football club again, but I will not hold my breath
  • MrLargo said:

This.

The owners who I have been 100% happy with would be

Roger Alwen
    Martin Simmons/Richard Murray
  • MrLargo said:

This.

None of them.
    None? Ever? So how would any change of owner ever make you feel better? What would a good owner look like, to you?

Are you for real?

Are you seriously saying that because I am not 100% in agreement with every board,chairmen,directors there ever was/is, I'll never be happy?

I wouldn't mind being 5% happy with this lot,but they're way off the mark.

Your point?

• MrLargo said:

This.

None of them.

Are you for real?

Are you seriously saying that because I am not 100% in agreement with every board,chairmen,directors there ever was/is, I'll never be happy?

Your point?

Of course I am for bloody real. And you are quite intelligent enough to understand my question. But ok if you want to use 100% as a way to duck it, try this.

Did we ever have a decent owner in your book? What did that owner do, that this regime does not?
  • Shrew said:

The whole football internet forum thing has a huge influence on supporters knowledge, expectations, and the whole experience of supporting a club. So much focus is put on the way a club is run, optimism and pessimism seems to get amplified tenfold. Generally supporters experience of supporting Charlton was mostly 90 minutes on a Saturday now it seems to include many hours everyday reading depressed and critical reactions to the club. I think these themselves have a snowball effect and cause even more disillusionment.

Wise words.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
    You could write a thesis on how social media and fan forums have changed the experience of being a fan of a football club over the last 10 years.
  • I'd say Roland is worse than both Hulyer and Fryer. Those 2 did put us up shit creek but at the time, I think their intentions were good.
    RD has the finance behind him but is intent on this idiotic Network idea, clueless managers and inept players.
    We did nearly go bust, admittedly, but where are we heading under this clown ?

Agree re Hulyer. He was a Charlton boy and a diehard fan and was well-intentioned if ultimately naive and costly. We 'bought' a European Footballer of the Year from Barcelona under him.
  • MrLargo said:

This.

None of them.

Are you for real?

Your point?

Of course I am for bloody real. And you are quite intelligent enough to understand my question. But ok if you want to use 100% as a way to duck it, try this.

Did we ever have a decent owner in your book? What did that owner do, that this regime does not?
    Varney and Murray were alright.......when Curbishley was there to tell them what to do

• MrLargo said:

This.

None of them.

Are you for real?

Your point?

Varney and Murray were alright.......when Curbishley was there to tell them what to do

Well OK. I don't think Curbs told them how to get back to the Valley by creating the VIP fund, and then a supporter on the board, and then getting fans involved in the business of the club, hiring them as employees, and as a result creating initiatives like "Kids for a quid" and Valley Express. In the Collymore thread, @AFKABartram shows that Collymore remembers all that as being much more than "alright". That's the trouble. It wasn't just unusual at Charlton, it was unusual right across the League, and we were admired for it.

I'm as pissed off as you, but I know perfectly well that RD will move on, and in a few years' time we will be complaining about someone else, and the usual suspects , doubtless me included, will be busy on here pointing out their many mistakes.

But my point is, this is not because we are all unreasonable. It is because English football is now structured to make this inevitable, and to leave us fans powerless. So what we are going through now will happen continuously unless we get together to force through change not just at Charlton but throughout English football.

And don't tell me that is impossible. An Eltham based Spanner is making considerable progress on exactly that project, yet we hardly give it a mention.

• At one stage Murrey was great for this club, now he is next to, if not worse than,useless. He should pack up and go home, what does he now bring to the table.

If he has any influence in what is going on in the club then he has lost his mind, if he doesn't then what's the point. He is now an irrelevance as far as CAFC is concerned.
  • Oh dear, and here we go again. The big beasts of the CharltonLife jungle are out spraying again.
  • But to answer the original post, yes, of course they did.

You could also ask if the preceding shit years ever happened - all 40 odd of them - and the answer word still be yes.