Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Makienok

Comments

• Options
    It's not rocket science, a player like Makienok needs a Craig Bellamy like player alongside to get down the sides of defences and then lay it back for whipped in crosses from the winger or full back.

Who did we have up front with him? Tony Watt and an unfit Igor.
  • Options
    the guy was shit for us last season but then who in the side wasnt bar a couple, we were a shambles last season and got nothing more than the team performances deserved, only 1 person to blame.
  • Options
    A big reflection of mine on last season was "I can't believe we got relegated... and he didn't!"

Good on him though, hope he does well. I fear that he's used up one of his 2/3 good games a season on a League Cup game though.
  • Options

The cheering when he won a header was very poor IMO, but you know he was shite. Donkey.

Can't be that shite. He has just scored a hat-trick against an FAPL team.

Dunno whether Francis was playing or not for Bournemouth, but they both show a section of our support up as a right bunch of knobheads.

My first home game of the season on Saturday and a group of idiots behind me had already taken to calling Crofts and Ajose c*nts at the top of their voice as well as Fox and Solly. I do wish these people would stay at home.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Are we really surprised?

Makienok scored frequently for Brondby in the Danish Premier League and got 6 caps at full international level for Denmark - a decent team by any standards - as a result.

He comes to Charlton and if he miskicks or misheads the ball once his life is immediately made a misery.

Didn't he bag a couple in the away game at Rotherham where we won 4-1, with those who saw him saying he looked unplayable?

He was that day, but that's because we played to his real strengths, which was ball in to feet holding the defender off, turn it around the corner to a winger, and using his strength too be first to the ball that's played back in, usually a lower ball where his height became his length. He was decent in the air, but only if the cross in was between 6-7 feet high, as most very tall people can't actually jump too well, but at that height he could stay on the ground, plant his feet and get a lot of power behind a header. If he was in the same team that Kermorgant got to play in, he would have been a lot more popular
    I'll second that... I can barely get off the ground and I'm 6.4ft

Then you get the likes of Chris Perry who could win a header against anyone
  • Options
    edited September 2016

sam3110 said:

Are we really surprised?

Makienok scored frequently for Brondby in the Danish Premier League and got 6 caps at full international level for Denmark - a decent team by any standards - as a result.

He comes to Charlton and if he miskicks or misheads the ball once his life is immediately made a misery.

Didn't he bag a couple in the away game at Rotherham where we won 4-1, with those who saw him saying he looked unplayable?

He was that day, but that's because we played to his real strengths, which was ball in to feet holding the defender off, turn it around the corner to a winger, and using his strength too be first to the ball that's played back in, usually a lower ball where his height became his length. He was decent in the air, but only if the cross in was between 6-7 feet high, as most very tall people can't actually jump too well, but at that height he could stay on the ground, plant his feet and get a lot of power behind a header. If he was in the same team that Kermorgant got to play in, he would have been a lot more popular
    I'll second that... I can barely get off the ground and I'm 6.4ft

Then you get the likes of Chris Perry who could win a header against anyone
    I kind of disagree, if it's an issue of getting high up to win headers - big guys do better. The smaller defenders that dominate make up for it with timing and presence in my opinion.

Something that's always staggered me is that some of the best defenders in the world (the likes of Cannavaro) are well under 6ft, and getting up to head the ball is one of their biggest tasks, often against some absolute lumps up front. Surely you can just train an absolute unit to do the same?

In other sports it's so much more about being a physical monstrousity in these kind of positions where it's about winning your matchup against an attacker/defender... For example, it's increasingly the case in Rugby nowadays, but American sports are insane - especially NFL. 250lb+ strongmen who can sprint 40 yards like an athlete, 6'7" guys who are sprinter pace and can get up crazily high to catch. You get the physical specimen, and train them how to play the sport.

Doesn't seem to happen in football. I think it's good, but I don't know why it seems to be the case. I don't think it's because tall people can't get up there because of their size, you don't see many (or any?!) small guards in basketball and that's 90% of their job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all about muscle groups and how they are training, I doubt many of the huge specimens in the NFL and NBA run 10km in 90 minutes, and jumping with your arms up in the air above your head, which is what you do in those other sports to catch the ball, is much easier than jumping to head a ball whilst trying to keep your arms out of the way of said ball
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    sam3110 said:

Are we really surprised?

I'd also add that he had Igor up front with him to help stretch the defense, and also got very good service and off-the-ball movement from JBG, Cousins, and Igor (and Bergdich for the goal). From the stream he looked absolutely unplayable because he was able to drop deep and wide, take the ball down/control with his very good technique, lay it off, then move to create space. It wasn't just the goals he scored on that day, it was his all around play that was brilliant.

The problem was Igor wasn't fit again for quite some time, and when he played after that he largely played as a lone forward with JBG/Harriott/Yun behind him. None of them liked making runs beyond him, let alone stretching the defense, and thus he was never able to replicate that type of performance. It's also probably worth noting just how high we pressed Rotherham in that game, and the fact that we struggled to replicated that (I think not having two out and out center forwards contributed largely to that).

Wish him well, I rated him and liked him, even moreso for the fact that he got a ridiculous amount of stick. He was clearly a gifted footballer, it's just he was bought to be part of Luzon's 4-2-2-2 but we forgot the part where we bought a player to play with him (Watt liked to take up a lot of the same positions).
  • Options
    A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un as the saying goes.

Some tall players like Crouch or Makienok aren't that great in the air bcos they have weak, skinny, spindly legs so no power to lift themselves off the ground - simple physics really

Andy Carroll on the other hand is 6 ft 4 with powerful legs and probably the best header of the ball in the PL - would destroy someone like Chris Perry every time they came up against each other simply due to mathematics and logic.
  • Options
    I liked him because I thought he worked hard and was genuine and I hated the abuse he received. I rated him in the average category, he got a hatrick against an understrength Bournemouth team which in it's self is a great achievement but let's not start blaming it all on us (Charlton). He has barely featured for Preston this season and that's probably because he hasn't shown himself to be good to be in the managers plans in both Pre season and training. If and it's a big if he goes on to have a great season scoring loads of goals for Preston then people can rightfully say "I told you so" but surely not after 120 minutes football against a 2nd string Bournemouth team.
  • Options
    Thought Mak was pony. Similar to Iweumo without the fouls for arriving too late. Key to Yann's skill is he knows where the ball will land once it's airbourne. He rarely jumps and is barely 6' but manouvers himself under the trajectory of the ball to head or bring down.
  • Options
    Just thinking of the 'cupped ears' he'd give us if we drew Preston in the cup and he scored... Kind of want him to do it now.
  • Options
    Playing tonight v Wigan.
  • Options
    I blame the regime here.

He wasn't a target man, he can't trap the higher ball as well as Magennis can and Magennis came from scottish league and hadn't scored much there.

I always thought he looked better with the ball in lower, probably to feet or maybe to cheat and he had that fabled good control for a big man, but actually just good control.

I thought he was unfortunately ruined at Charlton and I'd be pleased if he scored >10 or more for Preston this time out.

He's just off a third of the way there (have not checked if he has scored more than the hat trick, it's Friday, sorry.)
  • Options
    I like the way Wigan play - chase,harry, give Preston no time on the ball - who's their manager?
  • Options
    Gary Caldwell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont think ive seen Makienok touch the ball.
  • Options

Dont think ive seen Makienok touch the ball.

He did a lovely pass to put a team mate clean through just after it went 1-0... Sadly the Preston player didnt try and tried to make it look as though the last man pulled him back
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Sage said:

Not surprising that two of his goals were headers.

The fact is, a large section of our support are dickheads who don't recognise what the problem actually is and instead they blame the player.

We were never set up in a way to get the best out of him. Gudmundsson on one side cutting in and no winger on the left, where were the crosses ever coming from? Not to mention the amount of hoofed balls up to him without any single Charlton player near him was embarrassing.

Add to the fact that others have said about players in the same situation or young and experienced players and coaches. We were doomed. And we all know who's fault that is.

They may actually use his strengths, stick crosses into the box and get players closer to him. By doing that, he's a good, effective player.

I wish him well and am happy to see him not only be the match winner, but score a hat trick against a Premier League side.

Games like Ipswich at home when he didn't try at all did him no favours . I don't advocate booing our players and ironic cheering but without doubt he had about 3 good games for us ; 2 of them in August
    Disagree with he didn't try in that match. From where I saw it he was trying bloody hard but the more he tried the less came off and he more and more frustrated and angry and then ended up almost lashing out at someone.
  • Options
    Not good enough for us but gets an hat trick against the cherries in the week.
    Entitled to tell the addicks boo boys to swivel on it.
    After 8 games do we have anybody on 2 goals yet?
  • Options
    Dog shit , plain and simple.
  • Options
    I always liked a Big Mak