Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Makienok

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if we'll get a Twitter diatribe from his wife tonight
  • Options
    Totally agree Hesky played a true target man role tonight our centre backs didn't get anywhere near him, if he was playing for us tonight we would have won that game by a country mile. We are so weak right through the spine/centre of our team.
  • Options

Don't rate him but not his fault our stats based scouts saw a bloke of 6"7 who had been transferred for +£2M before and scored lots of goals in a weak league previously and thought we should sign him. Can't fault his effort and booing him is ridiculous.

Exactly this, not his fault , he is what he is. I'm as guilty as anyone at criticising players but the ones we should be criticising/angry at are the hair brained idiots responsible for the recruitment of players. They simply have no idea.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

He actually won more headers than usual when he came on, but to little effect.

He needs to sit down tomorrow and watch a video of how Heskey player, as Heskey won everything in the air AND nearly always headed the ball to one of his teammates. He was easily their best player

For all the ridicule Heskey gets - the guy has been playing that role for 20 years and has more high level experience in his little toe than most of ours do.
    Never liked him, never rated him, but with all his experience invaluable at this level. (or did we just make him look good) If only we had an old fashioned target man who could also play a bit :-(
  • Options
    braydex said:

Sorry but a strikers job is to score goals. He doesn't. He will get booed. Score goals and he won't get booed.simple.

Ok if that's the case then Henderson's job is to save goals, didn't hear much booing for him last night when he should have saved the second one.

Pope got the treatment when he hade mistakes.

THD's job is to stop their winger providing crosses, he got done a few times last night, again didn't hear much booing for him.

Let's be consistent and boo all of them!!

• Options
    As the West Ham fans sang during our pre-season game...... "you're just a shit Andy Carroll"..........
  • Options
    I tell you what - the defenders had to do more work against him than they had the whole game combined against Vas Te and Reza. Not saying he isn't limited, but he has a role if you have a quick skillful player to play alongside him........Oh wait a minute!
  • Options
    Somethings happened. Earlier in the season makienok looked like kermorgant v2.0 now he's pony. Gudmundsson was quality earlier this season and last season and now can't be arsed. Cousins development is stagnating. Something awful is happening on the football side of things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

braydex said:

Sorry but a strikers job is to score goals. He doesn't. He will get booed. Score goals and he won't get booed.simple.

General football rule : if some one ever says "a strikers job is to score goals" it's a bit like saying "I know nothing about football but I'll repeat what I heard down the pub from my Sunday league manager".
    I know enough about football to know we have a giant 'striker' who cannot win a header. I could forgive him that if he was banging in goals, but he isn't doing that either. I could maybe forgive him that, if he was setting up other players to score goals, but he isn't doing that either. I wouldn't be so hard on him if he was showing a lot of skill and pace on the pitch, but he doesn't do that either.......I'm sorry, but I can understand why people are booing him. He appears to many to be lazy. He mis-times his jumps time and time again....I think many are struggling to see what he actually brings to a game and the only way they can demonstrate their frustration, their anger, their confusion etc. is to boo. I don't have to agree or disagree with them, but I do understand why they do it.
  • Options
    braydex said:

a striker is only as good as the service he gets i'm afraid.
  • Options
    braydex said:

braydex said:

General football rule : if some one ever says "a strikers job is to score goals" it's a bit like saying "I know nothing about football but I'll repeat what I heard down the pub from my Sunday league manager".
    I know enough about football to know we have a giant 'striker' who cannot win a header. I could forgive him that if he was banging in goals, but he isn't doing that either. I could maybe forgive him that, if he was setting up other players to score goals, but he isn't doing that either. I wouldn't be so hard on him if he was showing a lot of skill and pace on the pitch, but he doesn't do that either.......I'm sorry, but I can understand why people are booing him. He appears to many to be lazy. He mis-times his jumps time and time again....I think many are struggling to see what he actually brings to a game and the only way they can demonstrate their frustration, their anger, their confusion etc. is to boo. I don't have to agree or disagree with them, but I do understand why they do it.
    How many shots / headers has Makienok wasted this season... Nottingham Forest is the only game I remember when Makienok got good service in the right areas where he messed up, if a situation arose where Charlton cant get the ball out of their half for the whole game, is it still the Strikers fault because we didn't score?
  • Options
    braydex said:

He needs service and that isn't happening. The first touch he had, parts of the crowd were cheering. Give the guy a break and get behind him, not against. If you've ever played the game you'll understand - quite clearly you haven't!
  • Options

braydex said:

He needs service and that isn't happening. The first touch he had, parts of the crowd were cheering. Give the guy a break and get behind him, not against. If you've ever played the game you'll understand - quite clearly you haven't!
    Never understood this kind of comment. Or the one before it, actually.

Not all forwards are goalscorers. Football is not that black and white.

But by the same token, there can't be many people who watch football who have NEVER played either. Not that it should make your opinion any less valid if you haven't played a game for Welling Reserves.
  • Options
    Not sure why my quote is so popular? the subject is why are people booing a particular player. All I've said is, we have a striker, who isn't scoring goals, isn't winning headers, isn't setting up goals, isn't showing a lot of skill and has the speed of a cart horse. I can understand why people are booing him. As I've said before, I don't have to agree or disagree with booing players, but I do understand why some people choose to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    When he joined he showed an ability to head the ball to other players, good chest control and the strength to withstand and out muscle big lump centre halves. In other words a physical presence all too rare in Charlton teams. He also finished efficiently when given the opportunity.

You will therefore gather from the above that in principle I am a fan.

However last night he came on as a substitute, ie a player meant to make an impact, and sauntered around in a manner reminiscent of Marcus Bent at his best (or worst). He won a few headers but they went straight into space where an opposition player picked it up or directly to the opposition player.

I don't agree with the ironic cheering because in my opinion it is indeed counter productive but on the evidence of that disinterested cameo I can certainly understand it.
  • Options

braydex said:

braydex said:

How many shots / headers has Makienok wasted this season... Nottingham Forest is the only game I remember when Makienok got good service in the right areas where he messed up, if a situation arose where Charlton cant get the ball out of their half for the whole game, is it still the Strikers fault because we didn't score?
    He has wasted very few because he is rarely in the right place to get on the end of anything we do create. He is a very very limited player. Totally immobile, poor in the air, weak and not hugely gifted on the floor plus unable to read a game. None of that is his fault. We should have bought in better or at least had someone of similar stature to put pressure on him. I am in no doubt he tries, to say he is lazy is simply wrong. He seems very passionate and I would love for him to be a success but he is just not good enough IMO.
  • Options
    Disagree with booing any Charlton player. On the topic of service though, our 18 year old rookie seems to be doing just fine with the service he's getting. Mak at the moment is a target man that can't win headers or hold the ball up, he's not going to create his own chances. For that reason, he deserves to be on the bench at the mo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ^ Then again, I said Simon Francis was total rubbish so Mak still has every chance, at his age, to prove me wrong!
  • Options
    The jeering and sarcastic cheering just adds to the toxic atmosphere which is driving fans away. WE had plenty of poor players last night, before he came on. He is a very poor player, but he can't help that. The scouts are worse at their job than he is.
  • Options
    I'm not even 'old' but I feel like when we were in this division before the Premiership years it didn't matter if someone was crap, if they tried/cared the fans stuck with them. Hate seeing Mak get flak from our own fans - even though he is definitely exhibiting the symptoms of being 'pretty shit'.

If we chucked Mak into the 90s Div 1 team and Leaburn into this one... I wonder if Mak would be a cult hero now and Super Carl would be getting booed, jeered and sarcastic cheers week-in, week-out.

There are a load of reasons for our fans negativity at the moment, of course - which is justifiable and not at all the point I'm making. But I'm just saying that there's only one way the club is going if we can't get behind players like Big Simon. Not only does it affect players' confidence and results, but we won't have anyone to look back on fondly when JJ is gone and we watch that 2010's DVD/blueray/holo-disk in the future.
  • Options
    Of course Mak is very limited in all sorts of ways - skill, technique, agility, fitness, intelligence, instinct to name just a few. But his redeeming feature is that he certainly appears to care. He wears his heart on his sleeve, gives his all for the cause, hurts when we lose. For that reason alone he deserves more respect than he gets. Just compare him to that TOTAL waste of oxygen, Ba, who both looks and plays like he doesn't give a flying fuck about the club.
  • Options
    His best mate Tony Watt has been shipped out to Cardiff so he is sulking!
  • Options
    If you had a three of Watt, Mackienok and Lookman - that is a potent three IMO. Typical of our club that very opportunity is just out of reach!
  • Options
    That's the worst I've seen Mak play.
    Out of his control was coming on for the lively goal scoring Lookman, just when we wanted to get back in front and this frustrated the crowd.
    That I feel was the backdrop to the booing and jeering, but in his control was the effort he put in, which looked lacklustre at best; like not jumping for headers and then just watching the ball run past as it was played to him, not once. but twice, ending both of those attacks.
    I think generally, you get groaning if things go wrong or a player makes an avoidable mistake, but the booing starts with a perceived lack of effort.
  • Options

After last night maybe we should also start jeering Henderson whenever one of his kicks actually goes near one of our players?
  • Options
    Shout and yell as much as you like if you think the player is not pulling his weight. Taking the mick out of him is something entirely different and not needed. We should be doing that to our oppo's not our own.
  • Options
    I don't see the point of introducing Makienok whilst withdrawing Gudmundson. The best chance he has of scoring a goal, is by attacking a good cross. That was never going to happen last night. He was booed from the moment he came on because people were upset at Lookman being taken off. He was one of many players who was scared of receiving the ball. Even though he tried to make it look like he was trying hard, he was actually trying to avoid having to do anything with the ball.