Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky Sports pundit Don Goodman defends Charlton chief executive Katrien Meire

2»

Comments

• Let's face it, if we were doing well, and nearer the top than the bottom, KM's life would be easy, sort out a few youth contracts, meet opposition board members, watch a good game of football and get payed well for doing it, "OF COURSE SHE WANTS US TO DO WELL". She has no control over budgets or who we sign, she just does what RD tells her to do and try to keep the budget as low as possible. She is a lawyer, not an experienced CEO of a major football club. When I said payed well, I also meant, she probably gets less than others in her position, otherwise, why would RD pay her to do a job she is not capable of.
  • edited December 2015
    To be fair to her - It probably isn't easy being our owner's mouthpiece, especially when your football background is limited when it comes to the Championship. But, as he hides away in Belgium, it is inevitable that she will take the stick for things, and that is what she is paid for. She has made some big mistakes and probably doesn't have the autonomy to fix the bridges she has burned though, through stupid comments to the press- some of which we were supposed to hear and some we weren't and Roland's fixed and flawed ideas for the club. I suspect she has made some statements that he has contradicted which may have discredited her a bit, but that isn't for us to unravel - she is he in the absence of he. Doing the job she does, and for who she does, she has to accept what goes with it.
  • She's like that parent who's always adamant that she's bringing the kids up the right way because that's how her dad handled things before her. I think this whole ownership can be described by the word stubborn. Sure, they want the best for the club, but their refusal to take on any advice and the repeated, condescending 'it's for your own good', 'it's not going to change now' attitude has built up so much negative feeling. If you just tell someone that it's for their own good and they'll understand when they're older but never justify your decisions you just create animosity, and when the plans go wrong it all spills out. It's just basic stuff
  • It's simple, KM may very well be a nice person. The problem is as a CEO of a Championship she has made too many mistakes. Apparent contempt for the supporters, explanations that are very questionable and disrespectful to supporters ( appointment of Luzon), appointment of inadequate managers, players in the squad that are not good enough and pathetic gimmicks that embarass the club.
    That's what the problems are and why the club will benefit from a competent CEO
  • But a competent CEO will probably not want the job as it is. Everything points to the owner at the end of the day. He is shielded from criticism because he doesn't go to games or live in the same country as his team.