Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leicester

Comments

• Options

Leicester have a tricky (on paper) last 3 - Man U, Everton and Chelsea. They will need a decent margin going into them I feel.

Praying they pull off the biggest ever shock in the history of football - I think it is that big. Greece winning the euros in 04 was incredible but that's over a lot less games.

Only need a further two point gap and the Man Utd game wont matter though...
  • Options
    What I don't understand... If I can get excited about a former two Bob team with only a league cup for comfort winning the premiership, why am I less keen on Tottenham winning?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

What I don't understand... If I can get excited about a former two Bob team with only a league cup for comfort winning the premiership, why am I less keen on Tottenham winning?

For me, Tottenham fans are unbearable and they've had dozens of chances to sort out their act. Look how they pissed away all the big transfer windfalls they've made in the last 10 years.
  • Options

Talal said:

Leicester have a tricky (on paper) last 3 - Man U, Everton and Chelsea. They will need a decent margin going into them I feel.

Praying they pull off the biggest ever shock in the history of football - I think it is that big. Greece winning the euros in 04 was incredible but that's over a lot less games.

Id still say Clough/Taylor for forest would be better.
    Promotion.
    League Winners.
    European Cup Winners.
    European Cup retainers.

Not evenn Fergie, Pep or Mourinio have retained the european/champions league.
    But if you take the league win as a stand alone achievement it would surely have to be the greatest. When you consider the amount of money spent by the big clubs, for a club of Leicester's size and spending power to win it is bordering on impossible.
    Clough didn't have the benefit of the free movement of labour, in Europe they only played the champions and the east European leagues were rigged so that they were essentially up against international teams.
    Maybe so but I'm not talking about European football just a domestic league win.
  • Options

Promotion.
    League Winners.
    European Cup Winners.
    European Cup retainers.

It's a valid point Smudge and cause for a decent debate. I don't agree though. In this day and age of massive revenues and the big clubs chucking money around like confetti, Leicester's (hopefully) achievement supersedes the lot in my opinion. Premier League is a different beast to the old Football League Division 1. This really is fairytale stuff.
  • Options

I don hope Leicester win the premier league.

Do or don't? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know Mr Hamer won't get a medal if they do actually win it, but will he be classed as part of Leicester City's premiership winning squad?
  • Options

I know Mr Hamer won't get a medal if they do actually win it, but will he be classed as part of Leicester City's premiership winning squad?

They could make a replica medal for him just like Chelsea did for Scott Parker. :wink:
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Tottenham have acted like a big club since they last won the league and had the same level of media attention (which helps to keep them as a big club). They are generally a top ten club but no more than that. Normally I couldn't care less about the Premiership but if Leicester win it, that would be something special.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

He may well get a medal. We were talking about it on another thread - you have to read down it a bit.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72230/mk-dons-player-urinates-into-a-glass-at-cheltenham
  • Options

Promotion.
    League Winners.
    European Cup Winners.
    European Cup retainers.

Didn't Clough spend a ton of money? Trevor Francis for example?
  • Options

He mah well get a medal. We were talking about it on another thread - you have to read down it a bit.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72230/mk-dons-player-urinates-into-a-glass-at-cheltenham
    Thanks @RickyOtto

• Options
    There's a lot of "greatest achievement ever & greatest of all time" going on now, because it's happening now. Messi is the classic case, he isn't even the greatest of all time in his own country. Sky are very good at hyping it up to make their product look better than anything that happened pre-Sky.

Most people who have these opinions that Leicester's achievement is better, weren't around when Forest pulled off mid-table in Div 2 to European Champs in three seasons. Forest won the league first season up. Let's also see if Leicester win the league and then back it up, then we can compare them.

By the way, Trevor Francis was signed the season after Forest had won the league the first time. So if Leicester make a big signing after winning the league, that would be comparable.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

There's a lot of "greatest achievement ever & greatest of all time" going on now, because it's happening now. Messi is the classic case, he isn't even the greatest of all time in his own country. Sky are very good at hyping it up to make their product look better than anything that happened pre-Sky.

Most people who have these opinions that Leicester's achievement is better, weren't around when Forest pulled off mid-table in Div 2 to European Champs in three seasons. Forest won the league first season up. Let's also see if Leicester win the league and then back it up, then we can compare them.

By the way, Trevor Francis was signed the season after Forest had won the league the first time. So if Leicester make a big signing after winning the league, that would be comparable.

if you don't think messi is the greatest of all time you're a headcase.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Messi is the classic case, he isn't even the greatest of all time in his own country. Sky are very good at hyping it up to make their product look better than anything that happened pre-Sky.

I don't normally do that kind of comparison, it's pointless, but when it comes to Messi vs Maradona, Messi's scored more, won more (albeit not the big one), hasn't been banned for drug cheating, hasn't shot anyone and did it all without ever looking like a total and utter c**t. I don't think it's fair to blame Sky for anyone choosing to vote for Messi on that one (frankly I don'd understand the Sky connection at all).

As for Francis - that was a response to the listing of the European trophies, which he had a major hand in. And he wasn't the only one - Peter Shilton, Kenny Burns and David Needham weren't cheap, and then there were the likes of Archie Gemmill and those he took from Derby.

Forest were the 8th different winner of the league in ten years when they did it. It's a completely different landscape. The relative cost of the Forest team that won the title was much, much closer than Leicester to any of the sides who would've been favourites this year.

What Clough and Forest achieved was incredible, and was more about him than the club - but it wasn't unbelievable, which is how many of us feel about Leicester, where a huge amount of factors have played a part in their rise. Not just the hiring of an exceptional manager and his blueprint for success.
    Also, every time Messi kicks a ball it's broadcast around the world. How much of Pele & Maradona did we really see in comparison? Pele especially never played the majority of his football under anything like the scrutiny that Messi does, if he has one bad game we all know about it.

Messi is the best player ever because he is consistently brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Messi is the classic case, he isn't even the greatest of all time in his own country. Sky are very good at hyping it up to make their product look better than anything that happened pre-Sky.

I don't normally do that kind of comparison, it's pointless, but when it comes to Messi vs Maradona, Messi's scored more, won more (albeit not the big one), hasn't been banned for drug cheating, hasn't shot anyone and did it all without ever looking like a total and utter c**t. I don't think it's fair to blame Sky for anyone choosing to vote for Messi on that one (frankly I don'd understand the Sky connection at all).

As for Francis - that was a response to the listing of the European trophies, which he had a major hand in. And he wasn't the only one - Peter Shilton, Kenny Burns and David Needham weren't cheap, and then there were the likes of Archie Gemmill and those he took from Derby.

Forest were the 8th different winner of the league in ten years when they did it. It's a completely different landscape. The relative cost of the Forest team that won the title was much, much closer than Leicester to any of the sides who would've been favourites this year.

What Clough and Forest achieved was incredible, and was more about him than the club - but it wasn't unbelievable, which is how many of us feel about Leicester, where a huge amount of factors have played a part in their rise. Not just the hiring of an exceptional manager and his blueprint for success.
    Also, every time Messi kicks a ball it's broadcast around the world. How much of Pele & Maradona did we really see in comparison? Pele especially never played the majority of his football under anything like the scrutiny that Messi does, if he has one bad game we all know about it.

Messi is the best player ever because he is consistently brilliant.
    add to that sports science is aeons ahead of maradonna and pele's day. Guranteed if they played at the pace and intensity messi plays at for as consistantly as messi does they'd be breaking down with injuries.
  • Options
    Well Maradona would certainly need a 'pick-me-up' to get through.
  • Options
    I have a nasty feeling that Arsenal will actually get their act together for their final eight games - and that getting knocked out of the Cup and CL could be the catalyst for doing so. Yes they have injuries, specifically with their midfielders and Cech (due back for the next match), but Iwobi could be an unknown quantity to the opposition, Sanchez is giving indications that he is getting back to his best and Welbeck offers something different up top - even if he is Andy/Andrew "I need four chances for every goal" Cole in nature.

They do have two difficult games in their schedule - West Ham and Man City away but, if they were to win one of those and draw the other plus win the remainder (home to Watford, Palace, WBA, Norwich and Villa and away to Sunderland) then that would give them 77 points. And possibly a better goal difference than Leicester.

Yes Leicester would only need 12 points (and possibly only 11) from their last seven games but they are scrapping for and scraping wins at the moment - one nil victories against Palace, Newcastle, Watford & Norwich plus a draw against WBA in the last five. They may well have to get the majority of those points in the next four games because, with the pressure on, Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea might not be the easiest of final matches. Though one can't help thinking that Chelsea might let them win if it means stopping any of the big guns from winning the title!

As for Spurs, well assuming that Arsenal do reach 77 then they would probably need 16 points (as they have a far superior GD). But that is still five wins and a draw from seven - with Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd still to come.

There is absolutely no value in the 6/1 on offer for Arsenal to win it. But I just have that horrible image of Wenger grinning rather smugly at those, including me, who have been critical in suggesting that he's been getting it wrong, specifically in not strengthening the squad, over the last few years.

I hope, for once, that I've got it all wrong.
  • Options
    The Southampton and West Ham matches that are approaching for Leicester look very dangerous... Thankfully Spurs have Liverpool and Man Utd in their next two matches so could give Leicester the very much needed breathing room.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Hopefully they can get through the internationals unscathed.

Theirs to throw away now.
  • Options
    arsenal are the main danger spurs have the toughest run in;

liverpool
    man utd
    stoke
    west brom
    chelsea
    southampton
    newcastle

• Options
    I think city will do it