Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Work in marketing...?

2»

Comments

• Meh. Convincing people to buy shit they don't need. Zero intrinsic value in any marketing job
  • Meh. Convincing people to buy shit they don't need. Zero intrinsic value in any marketing job

Bollocks. The original Target 10k/40k was textbook marketing.

- Find out what the customer actually wants or needs from the product or service (by asking them and not just presuming you know)
    - do your level best to provide it to them in a way which optimises profit long term

Result: Kids for a Quid, Valley Express, etc, etc....
  • cabbles said:

That, right there, is a first jobber's salary in marketing management. Of course, since most of what marketers do is sit on the fucking internet tweeting, it's still thieving a living, but I digress

Not quite correct, mate. One negative effect of the internet is that it has created a whole new sector of people who do what you say they do, and claim it's marketing. Ask them to demonstrate the link between their activity and contribution to profit, and they will go pale and back away from you in fright. On the other hand their activity does unfortunately register as a contribution to the country's GDP. Britain's booming, you know...
    They would be able to demonstrate it quite easily if they are tweeting things such as affiliate links, but if they are just tweeting random videos and half-witted jokes then agree, they won't be able to link what they do with any considerable profit. Probably say something about how it creates traffic and interest, not quite an answer though.

They could hire Alan Patridge and he'd still be better value for money at that wage than our CEO brings to Charlton Athletic.
    That's not marketing management. That is the 21st century equivalent of stuffing a direct mail in an envelope. Any idiot can do it. Reminds me of American cvs I've seen where the person claims to have been a Customer Satisfaction Manager for a Group of restaurants, and it turned out he was a a waiter.
    They've removed the bit about "Demonstrate your ability to build trusted relationships with blue chip clients at the highest level"

Which means they've either re-read it and realised it makes no sense, or they've come on here and seen us question the language used in the job spec :smile:
    Blimey, they have, too. Or rather they have altered it to "Demonstrate your ability to build trusted relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels"

Fair play...

• If anyone wants to come and teach English in Kunming, it's a 30 hour work week and a much better salary than CAFC offer :pensive:
  • I've worked in marketing for a large UK retailer for the last 15 years and if I saw that job spec I would expect a much higher salary than quoted. Don't think they will get anyone of any great experience want to work for that if I'm honest.

One thing that does interest me though is this:

To develop audience segmentation and engagement strategies. I think one of their audience segments will be 50+ with a segment title of don't bother with these lot.
  • cabbles said:

That, right there, is a first jobber's salary in marketing management. Of course, since most of what marketers do is sit on the fucking internet tweeting, it's still thieving a living, but I digress

Not quite correct, mate. One negative effect of the internet is that it has created a whole new sector of people who do what you say they do, and claim it's marketing. Ask them to demonstrate the link between their activity and contribution to profit, and they will go pale and back away from you in fright. On the other hand their activity does unfortunately register as a contribution to the country's GDP. Britain's booming, you know...
    They would be able to demonstrate it quite easily if they are tweeting things such as affiliate links, but if they are just tweeting random videos and half-witted jokes then agree, they won't be able to link what they do with any considerable profit. Probably say something about how it creates traffic and interest, not quite an answer though.

They could hire Alan Patridge and he'd still be better value for money at that wage than our CEO brings to Charlton Athletic.
    That's not marketing management. That is the 21st century equivalent of stuffing a direct mail in an envelope. Any idiot can do it. Reminds me of American cvs I've seen where the person claims to have been a Customer Satisfaction Manager for a Group of restaurants, and it turned out he was a a waiter.
    They've removed the bit about "Demonstrate your ability to build trusted relationships with blue chip clients at the highest level"

Which means they've either re-read it and realised it makes no sense, or they've come on here and seen us question the language used in the job spec :smile:
    Blimey, they have, too. Or rather they have altered it to "Demonstrate your ability to build trusted relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels"

Fair play...

I reckon they just lifted the job spec from somewhere else, as I am guessing they recruit in house and don't use an agency. The first line about innovation and being commercially savvy just winds me up. buzzwords. Followed up by 'chomping at the bit to make change in the industry.

Where's that sick bucket
  • That, right there, is a first jobber's salary in marketing management. Of course, since most of what marketers do is sit on the fucking internet tweeting, it's still thieving a living, but I digress

Haha couldn't agree more, as someone who works in that field.
  • Sponsored links:

• That, right there, is a first jobber's salary in marketing management. Of course, since most of what marketers do is sit on the fucking internet tweeting, it's still thieving a living, but I digress

To be fair, they're applying for a job at Charlton Athletic...
  • I might be wrong, but I suspect that this job has been planned for a while as it ties into a number of things happening in the background.

And there is indeed, a Head of Commercial and a separate Head of Comms, albeit the later one is currently an interim appointment.
  • No idea on salary comparative, but suspect a few are being harsh. Would always expect a football club to pay below market rate for non-football related employees
  • salary ? .. many well known brands, especially perhaps famous sports clubs, offer a below market salary in the hope (usually fulfilled) that the successful candidate will revel in the glamour of working for a famous name .. well .. glamour butters no parsnips, and with Christmas just over the horizon .. that is an important fact to bear in mind when completing the application form
  • I've worked in marketing for a large UK retailer for the last 15 years and if I saw that job spec I would expect a much higher salary than quoted. Don't think they will get anyone of any great experience want to work for that if I'm honest.

They aren't looking for 15 years experience.
  • PL54 said:

I've worked in marketing for a large UK retailer for the last 15 years and if I saw that job spec I would expect a much higher salary than quoted. Don't think they will get anyone of any great experience want to work for that if I'm honest.

And I ain't looking to apply for the job PL54.
  • PL54 said:

I've worked in marketing for a large UK retailer for the last 15 years and if I saw that job spec I would expect a much higher salary than quoted. Don't think they will get anyone of any great experience want to work for that if I'm honest.

And I ain't looking to apply for the job PL54.
    Phew
  • And you say that for what reason PL54. What exactly do you know about me?
  • You have 15 years experience and don't want the job.
  • That's right, well done.
  • Sponsored links:

• That's right, well done.

Yeah....
  • Dawn of a new era ehh?! Wonder what that means? Is a new manager awarded " new era " status? Or does this indicate that league one beckons? Is it that gates will drop to a record low? Will the 2% become 3%?

Liked the bit about, " must be familiar with earth shattering, cutting edge, sofa - based football club management techniques"
  • PS the wage is laughable! If I were Katrien I would be throwing money at marketing and PR!

• " the successful candidate will have the guaranteed, 100%, no strings support and confidence of the CEO"
  • Pay peanuts, you get monkeys!
  • I think AFKA had a good point earlier. It's non football related. I'm not in marketing so don't know if the salary is good or not, most people in marketing on here seem to think it isn't. However I remember in my previous job that was selling media monitoring software, pitching West Brom for something like a fixed fee of about £8k for the year. The comms guy there said even that figure he had to jump through hoops for and his boss would have to have a meeting with the Chairman to get it signed off. Yet they were a prem club paying £50k a week wages.

Just referencing it as a marker and plus we're a league below and we lose money every year. I would imagine this is exactly the sort of thing they'll penny pinch on
  • cabbles said:

I think AFKA had a good point earlier. It's non football related. I'm not in marketing so don't know if the salary is good or not, most people in marketing on here seem to think it isn't. However I remember in my previous job that was selling media monitoring software, pitching West Brom for something like a fixed fee of about £8k for the year. The comms guy there said even that figure he had to jump through hoops for and his boss would have to have a meeting with the Chairman to get it signed off. Yet they were a prem club paying £50k a week wages.

Just referencing it as a marker and plus we're a league below and we lose money every year. I would imagine this is exactly the sort of thing they'll penny pinch on

West Brom were my customer once. Paid full price for the order. Convinced them to take a cheaper product (in terms of cost to us) than what they originally ordered. Were so happy with product and service that they offered me free tickets for any match that season.

IA, salesman extraordinaire. :smiley:
  • IA said:

cabbles said:

I think AFKA had a good point earlier. It's non football related. I'm not in marketing so don't know if the salary is good or not, most people in marketing on here seem to think it isn't. However I remember in my previous job that was selling media monitoring software, pitching West Brom for something like a fixed fee of about £8k for the year. The comms guy there said even that figure he had to jump through hoops for and his boss would have to have a meeting with the Chairman to get it signed off. Yet they were a prem club paying £50k a week wages.

West Brom were my customer once. Paid full price for the order. Convinced them to take a cheaper product (in terms of cost to us) than what they originally ordered. Were so happy with product and service that they offered me free tickets for any match that season.

One better than me then. I left the company i was with at the time right when I was pitching them. Richard Branson can probably find a quote in that somewhere
  • cabbles said:

IA said:

cabbles said:

One better than me then. I left the company i was with at the time right when I was pitching them. Richard Branson can probably find a quote in that somewhere
    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the sales office.

I left the company shortly afterwards, so I never got to take the free tickets.