Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Work in marketing...?

Charlton need a marketing manager, who is " known for shaking up marketing in previous roles with ground-shattering work that they've spear-headed."

And you'll get paid up to £30k.

https://cafc.peoplehr.net/Pages/JobBoard/Opening.aspx?v=01c4eafd-b3ed-41ef-b662-b471bad48da4

Comments

• says they report to the head of commercial and the head of communications which might be a little confusing

But at least there will be a head of communications to report to at last

WSS, you work in marketing. How does that salary compare to other roles given they want someone with experience and a wide range of skills?
  • And it mentions "our unique history"

That means no, you can't change the Addicks nickname, the club clours, name or the red, red, robin no mater how exciting and innovative your alternatives might be.
  • They ask for someone with 2 years' experience so the salary probably matches in that respect but in reality that person will still need to be mentored/led by someone to get the best results - preferably somebody who has experience of marketing in an events/sporting environment

It's all well and good saying the role has autonomy but can you really "trust" someone who is potentially 23/24 to run the club's marketing? Not too sure.

Must say though, it's a better "advert" than the ones we've previously seen.

Would've been a role I would've applied for myself 8 years ago. I actually speculatively applied for a role in marketing at the club when I left uni, got a personal letter back from Peter Varney - rejecting me. ;-)
  • I work in digital marketing in London. That salary is poor, it's more like a "marketing Executive" salary (which is generally 1 or 2 levels below a Manager). You won't get anyone good for that price, and such a large OTE add on is unusual for marketing too, not in a good way. 2.5 years of quality experience in CRM strategy and all the other skills they want would command about £40k basic. None of this OTE nonsense either.

Perhaps they should just look for an "Interim Manager" for that.

• I suppose that's the result of Duchatelet's visit last week? Hope the position of head coach/manager will be sorted soon as well.
  • mjpcafc said:

I work in digital marketing in London. That salary is poor, it's more like a "marketing Executive" salary (which is generally 1 or 2 levels below a Manager). You won't get anyone good for that price, and such a large OTE add on is unusual for marketing too, not in a good way. 2.5 years of quality experience in CRM strategy and all the other skills they want would command about £40k basic. None of this OTE nonsense either.

@mjpcafc would you expect a difference between "London" and "Charlton" salaries?
  • I believe Jessie is right. Roland pitches up and thinks 'this asset isn't sweating enough, get some drone in for peanuts and make sure they earn their own salary and more'.
  • mjpcafc said:

I work in digital marketing in London. That salary is poor, it's more like a "marketing Executive" salary (which is generally 1 or 2 levels below a Manager). You won't get anyone good for that price, and such a large OTE add on is unusual for marketing too, not in a good way. 2.5 years of quality experience in CRM strategy and all the other skills they want would command about £40k basic. None of this OTE nonsense either.

@mjpcafc would you expect a difference between "London" and "Charlton" salaries?
    Sometimes you have to pay more to get people to work outside of Soho or Shoreditch (our natural habitats!)

They will get someone for that money but it's like WSS says, they will need guidance. They won't be able to set a decent strategy, it'll be execution of strategy only.

Honestly though the large OTE section of salary is not going to attract senior marketers, it's not a sales job.
  • edited December 2015
    Blimey that would be the ideal next step for me in my sports marketing career.

Think I'll need to weigh up if I want to be a part of this regime though. Also as others have said, that salary isnt what you'd expect from managerial position within London
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm hearing Curbs is 16/1...
  • Blimey that would be the ideal next step for me in my sports marketing career.

Think I'll need to weigh up if I want to be a part of this regime though. Also as others have said, that salary isnt what you'd expect from managerial position within London

Separate your career from your personal feelings about the club, it would still look very good on your CV to work there. Job security would be a consideration though. If we go down, jobs like this could get cut easily and the high OTE section implies you could also be out on your ear if you failed to deliver. You know, conjuring 20,000 fans every week using digital marketing alone.

Never thought I'd be giving marketing career advice on here!
  • mjpcafc said:

This, agree for the salary offered you wont get anyone who will have the experience who is " known for shaking up marketing in previous roles with ground-shattering work that they've spear-headed," all for 30k? Please! if they want someone who has the experience they should be pitching at £40-45k.
    Ebenezer Scrooge is alive and well in SE7.
  • That looks to me that a lot of the text has been "lifted" from job ads that might have been used for other companies and positions. The "key skills" are way above those you might acquire in 2.5 years, and as for "Demonstrate your ability to build trusted relationships with blue chip clients at the highest level", well do CAFC really have "blue chip" clients? Come on...

But that's probably nit-picking. The real problem with 'marketing" in football is that it has a difficult position in the business. The goal of marketing is supposed to be optimising long term profits. Just a moment's thought on those four words shows how problematic that is for a football business. I'd call it a marketing communications manager role. Baffling nit=picking to those outside the sector, i realise, but absolutely crucial if the right person is to meet expectations which are reasonable.
  • That looks to me that a lot of the text has been "lifted" from job ads that might have been used for other companies and positions. The "key skills" are way above those you might acquire in 2.5 years, and as for "Demonstrate your ability to build trusted relationships with blue chip clients at the highest level", well do CAFC really have "blue chip" clients? Come on...

But that's probably nit-picking. The real problem with 'marketing" in football is that it has a difficult position in the business. The goal of marketing is supposed to be optimising long term profits. Just a moment's thought on those four words shows how problematic that is for a football business. I'd call it a marketing communications manager role. Baffling nit=picking to those outside the sector, i realise, but absolutely crucial if the right person is to meet expectations which are reasonable.

Haha that is poor from CAFC, you could at least proof read what your copying.
  • They are asking for someone with a 2.1 degree from a 'reputable university'- honours degree from University of Life any good?
  • edited December 2015
    That's a pretty low salary for a marketing manager, especially in London. That's more in line with a senior exec, so one below the marketing manager...which suggests Charlton will get someone with a lack of experience and maybe even their first role as a marketing manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Club hate is alive and kicking
  • wonder how KM would feel about receiving a 1,000 CV's that she would have to wade through to find the few non time wasters?
  • DRAddick said:
    Funny - I just linked to that exact clip on Facebook after reading this story:
    bbc.co.uk/news/business-35090087
  • That, right there, is a first jobber's salary in marketing management. Of course, since most of what marketers do is sit on the fucking internet tweeting, it's still thieving a living, but I digress

Good to have you back Leroy
  • That, right there, is a first jobber's salary in marketing management. Of course, since most of what marketers do is sit on the fucking internet tweeting, it's still thieving a living, but I digress

Not quite correct, mate. One negative effect of the internet is that it has created a whole new sector of people who do what you say they do, and claim it's marketing. Ask them to demonstrate the link between their activity and contribution to profit, and they will go pale and back away from you in fright. On the other hand their activity does unfortunately register as a contribution to the country's GDP. Britain's booming, you know...

Not quite correct, mate. One negative effect of the internet is that it has created a whole new sector of people who do what you say they do, and claim it's marketing. Ask them to demonstrate the link between their activity and contribution to profit, and they will go pale and back away from you in fright. On the other hand their activity does unfortunately register as a contribution to the country's GDP. Britain's booming, you know...
    They would be able to demonstrate it quite easily if they are tweeting things such as affiliate links, but if they are just tweeting random videos and half-witted jokes then agree, they won't be able to link what they do with any considerable profit. Probably say something about how it creates traffic and interest, not quite an answer though.

They could hire Alan Patridge and he'd still be better value for money at that wage than our CEO brings to Charlton Athletic.

They would be able to demonstrate it quite easily if they are tweeting things such as affiliate links, but if they are just tweeting random videos and half-witted jokes then agree, they won't be able to link what they do with any considerable profit. Probably say something about how it creates traffic and interest, not quite an answer though.

They could hire Alan Patridge and he'd still be better value for money at that wage than our CEO brings to Charlton Athletic.
    That's not marketing management. That is the 21st century equivalent of stuffing a direct mail in an envelope. Any idiot can do it. Reminds me of American cvs I've seen where the person claims to have been a Customer Satisfaction Manager for a Group of restaurants, and it turned out he was a a waiter.