Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester tickets (initial 1,024 allocation, general sale, £16.50)

Comments

• In hindsight, taking 2,000+ midweek in League One was pretty good for us

Aren't our away numbers always pretty good when we're having a good season?
    No.

Oohaah will back me up on this.
  • Frankly I don't see this. The other items are or have been concerns I agree but this is not.

What should really have been done differently on this occasion?

On a side note only the season ticket issues on day one are now behind us and not moving on from that is unhelpful.

I can only emphasise again my view that seeking to find fault in everything is counter productive. Bring real issues to the clubs attention so they can be addressed if they have made a mistake / got something wrong but micro analysing every club statement action is not necessary.
  • edited December 2015

Frankly I don't see this. The other items are or have been concerns I agree but this is not.

On a side note only the season ticket issues on day one are now behind us and not moving on from that is unhelpful.

I can only emphasise again my view that seeking to find fault in everything is counter productive. Bring real issues to the clubs attention so they can be addressed if they have made a mistake / got something wrong but micro analysing every club statement action is not necessary.

Will have to agree to differ on this one
  • Frankly I don't see this. The other items are or have been concerns I agree but this is not.

The season ticket will only be behind the clubs staff once they have distributed next years seasons tickets with no issues (and even then the expected lower volumes may help them!) or if we get a big home tie in the later rounds and they sell and distribute 20k+ home tickets in a very short period.
  • 2009/10 (Tuesday night): 2,066

That's a seriously impressive turnout for a midweek game. We were going well, and there was "new ground and division" syndrome I guess, especially as we were hoping/expecting(?) to only be in L1 for one season...
  • tbh, I don't think we will shift the initial allocation
  • Will the tickets be sold online does anybody know?
  • Dansk_Red said:

Will the tickets be sold online does anybody know?

A bit too complex that.
  • markmc68 said:

Layer road FA cup back in the 80's.
    Collapsed wooden terraces
    Pitch invasions.
    Those were the days.

Was that the VERY lucky 1-0 win, around 82-83, I remember driving to that one with my brother in law (at the time) Mr Sean Casey.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is the same old story each time we have a game where demand will probably outstrip supply, although admittedly it does not happen often.

Why is there no priority for the 3-500 that travel to the vast majority of games?

couldnt agree more away regulars should get priority but in this instance think we will all be fine.
  • Colchester fan I know says most of their lot are not that bothered about this one (not exactly a plumb draw is it?) and there will loads of room in the home ends. He reckons they will sell tickets on the day without any prior purchase history or membership etc. So in the unlikely event we sell out and don't get anymore we can fill the other areas of the ground too.
  • So this thread....

• We've been cocking up cup tickets for over 20 years.
    Wasn't it 1994 q/f people queued up on the understanding you could get 4 per s/t then that changed as they were queuing?
  • weirdly we seem to love the F A Cup despite our record, if on general sale I reckon we'll sell 2/2.5k+ no problem at those prices
  • weirdly we seem to love the F A Cup despite our record, if on general sale I reckon we'll sell 2/2.5k+ no problem at those prices

Absolutely agree, amazed that they are going straight on general sale even with the way things are going surely these will be snapped up along with the extra 1,000 that they will hopefully send us.

• In hindsight, taking 2,000+ midweek in League One was pretty good for us

Memorable for Llera's perfomance that day. 2.55 out of 10 according to the statbank. Seems generous bearing in mind I still recall this as about the worst performance I've ever seen by a CAFC player and as we all know there is plenty of competition for that.
  • Welcome to Charlton Life @valleynick66
  • Colchester fan I know says most of their lot are not that bothered about this one (not exactly a plumb draw is it?) and there will loads of room in the home ends. He reckons they will sell tickets on the day without any prior purchase history or membership etc. So in the unlikely event we sell out and don't get anymore we can fill the other areas of the ground too.

Are you sure you're a Charlton fan? There's not a chance in hell we'll sell the away end let alone buy some in the homes areas. Maybe you've confused us with Leeds?
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:

Colchester fan I know says most of their lot are not that bothered about this one (not exactly a plumb draw is it?) and there will loads of room in the home ends. He reckons they will sell tickets on the day without any prior purchase history or membership etc. So in the unlikely event we sell out and don't get anymore we can fill the other areas of the ground too.

Are you sure you're a Charlton fan? There's not a chance in hell we'll sell the away end let alone buy some in the homes areas. Maybe you've confused us with Leeds?
    It's not that along ago that we would of, mind you may not be the case now, after all only 1200 down at Brighton.
  • edited December 2015

J BLOCK said:

Colchester fan I know says most of their lot are not that bothered about this one (not exactly a plumb draw is it?) and there will loads of room in the home ends. He reckons they will sell tickets on the day without any prior purchase history or membership etc. So in the unlikely event we sell out and don't get anymore we can fill the other areas of the ground too.

It's not that along ago that we would of, mind you may not be the case now, after all only 1200 down at Brighton.
    Agree, but £32 to get in was probably a factor there in the context of results.
  • Ok so what are you seriously suggesting should gave been done or said instead? I am struggling to see who is at risk of being disadvantaged or how anyone sho wishes to go won't be able to.

You will know better than me the consequences of committing to a larger allocation before the demand is confirmed but I don't immediately see why this approach is flawed or in anyway creates an issue.

You seem to have taken this very personally, particularly given your lack of previous input here. Under FA Cup rules Charlton are entitled to 1,500 tickets, which in practical terms means the north stand. According to their own website Colchester appear to have a policy of trying to put small away numbers in one end of the stand along the side, presumably to save the cost of opening the north stand.

It's unlikely, in my view, that this will be practical here, not least because if tickets are sold on the day the clubs - and the police - will have no idea how many might turn up. It's a hard one to call only because the team is performing so badly and may or may not continue to do so over the next month, but it's unlikely the clubs will be in a position to know in advance that there will be fewer than 1,000 Charlton supporters, or that they will wish to stop people paying on the day.

My limited experience of Colchester is that their matchday arrangements were among the worst of any club we visited in League One, with inadequate turnstiles, late admission and not enough food so the catering outlets ran out. On that basis I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in them getting it right, but we haven't been there since 2011 so that may be unfair.

I can't see that the "consequences" of getting it wrong by taking the proper allocation are any more than paying a share of the extra cost of opening the north stand (deducted from the receipts before the gate money is split), which is unlikely to amount to much given they will have to staff one or other area (or both) and the only difference will be the extra safety stewards. This isn't the Premier League, where clubs had to guarantee sales.

You ask what the club should have been done instead. The answer is that it should have said "we have an allocation of up to x" - and if it doesn't know that at this point then it should have put the game on restricted sale because it cannot be confident 1,000 is enough.

To be clear, I don't actually think it will prove to be a big issue at all, but we don't confine ourselves to big issues on Charlton Life as a random sample of threads would demonstrate - the only reason we are still discussing it is because you pursued a throwaway line.
    That's a lengthy response thank you. However I still find the original comment you made inappropriate given that we all tend to agree any problem is very unlikely. The subtleties of a slightly different worded article or bolder approach on estimated numbers do not on this occasion have any significant reflection on how well run we may or may not be.

The constant criticisms are not in my opinion helpful.

Likewise the volume of any posts I make are also irrelevant.

The end on this from me.

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35043120

Damnit... We've not been chosen for TV coverage AGAIN!!
  • Sooooo.... Did we sell the initial allocation?
  • I can only emphasise again my view that seeking to find fault in everything is counter productive. Bring real issues to the clubs attention so they can be addressed if they have made a mistake / got something wrong but micro analysing every club statement action is not necessary.

Agree with you, but the issue seems to be that the club increasingly fails to respond to anything, only fuelling the divide between CAFC and the 'customer'

I won't be travelling to Colchester but am safe in the knowledge this humdinger is sure to get excellent time in the highlights.

• Sooooo.... Did we sell the initial allocation?

Beat me to it.
    How many going ?
  • It appears as though they must have upped our allocation. 1,100 sold. Just under 500 left.
  • If we sell those 500 as well there will be plenty there to make some noise in support of the team and also protesting against the regime.