Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds Utd | Sat 12 Dec | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Leeds United
Saturday 12 December 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire)

Introduction

Football can be a cruel game can’t it… No one expected the Addicks to get a result against unbeaten Brighton last Saturday yet when we took a two goal lead it didn’t just send shockwaves around the home sections in West Sussex but also around homes in South East London and Kent (for those bitter Gillingham fans)… Throughout the season, Jeff Stelling sitting in the Soccer Saturday studio has mentioned time and again that Charlton had yet to score prior to the 40th minute in a match (Of course the stat became obsolete when we scored twice in the first half against Sheffield Wednesday), this became difficult to repeat a similar stat when Charlton scored within 70-seconds with Ademola Lookman opening his account for the season.

We’re Charlton fans though, we know things are never meant to last but the moments to savour are getting shorter and shorter… We knew our time in the Premier League would never last, that relegation would come for us some day… We knew that Chris Powell wouldn’t remain as Charlton Manager forever, that someday he’d be sacked… We knew our lead against Brighton wouldn’t last and sadly despite the work from the First Half… It didn’t and the cruelty of Football would result in us not even getting to take a single point back to SE7… We have to try and pick ourselves up once more though, there were positives (notably our counter attacking play) to take from that defeat and as we close on the all-important Christmas period, we invite Leeds United to the Valley.

The Opposition
Name: Leeds United | Manager: Steve Evans
Ground: Elland Road | Nickname: The Whites

With yet another protest planned this Weekend… We face a side in a similar situation to ourselves… Leeds are owned by the Italian: Massimo Cellino and forever seem to be unsure if they’re going one way or the other, it wasn’t always like that though, it wasn’t even about Leeds United... They were formed in 1904 just a year before ourselves and were called Leeds City FC (who themselves were the first owners of Elland Road), things didn’t turn out well for the original club and were forced to disband in 1919 due to allegations of illegal payments to players during the First World War.

This of course left Leeds without a Football Club so Leeds United were instantly formed and invited into the Midland League… Elland Road had been taken by Yorkshire Amateurs (still in existence today) yet in 1920 they graciously made way for Leeds United to play at the famous stadium, they were elected to the Football League in 1920 (for some reason entering straight into the Second Division rather than the Third) and in the Football League they have remained ever since.

First Meeting @ the Valley: Charlton Athletic 0-1 Leeds United (24 October 1931)
Last Meeting @ the Valley: Charlton Athletic 2-1 Leeds United

Charlton Team News
Again I write this Preview prior to the Press Conference which should hopefully be out later today… The good news comes from the Christmas visit to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital which shows evidence of Ahmed Kashi and Cristian Ceballos existing, although whether they left the Hospital is questionable as both remain injured. The match against Brighton came too soon for Johnnie Jackson who should hopefully return to the side whilst Patrick Bauer will begin his two match ban (confirmed on the FA website (unless I've read it wrong), although that website does think that Welling United are a Championship side)… With new rules based on players suffering from concussion it’ll be touch and go whether Harry Lennon appears for Charlton this Saturday, should he be missing them surely Alou Diarra and Naby Sarr will be the defensive partnership.

Henderson
Solly … Diarra … Lennon … Fox
Gudmundsson … Jackson … Cousins … Lookman
Vaz Te … Ghoochannejhad

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Holmes-Dennis … Sarr … Charles-Cook … Ba … Ahearne-Grant … Makienok

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 2-2 Leeds United (Lookman … Ghoochannejhad)

Comments

• For one brief moment I would like all Charlton fans to pause and reflect on the fixtures this Weekend... Keith Stroud has been placed in charge of the match between Wolves and Nottingham Forest on Friday making you wonder what the poor buggers have done wrong
  • Team seems to have goals in it at the moment so it's all about the defence. Could we keep a first clean sheet since August?
  • Really hard to pick a team until we get the medical bulletin!

Diarra and Sarr is unappealing, especially without the defensive shield Diarra (usually) provides in midfield
  • 2-4 in front of a sparsely populated Valley.
  • Team seems to have goals in it at the moment so it's all about the defence. Could we keep a first clean sheet since August?

Errr...you forgot Brum away!
  • 1-2 loss given injuries, suspensions and management
  • Not got a clue
  • I'm thinking positive - Sheff Wednesday game, Brighton - 1st half - play like that and 3-1....#glasshalffull
  • I don't think Jacko will be back (hammies normally takes 3-4 weeks, and although his was't bad, it is more likely we'll see him Tuesday). Fox is playing terribly, so I'd have THD at LB from the start. If Lennon had concussion, he will not be allowed to play. JBG may also be unfit?

Henderson
    Solly
    Diarra
    Sarr
    THD
    Cousins
    Ba
    Charles-Cook
    Ghoochannejhad
    Vaz Te
    Lookman

Substitutes: Pope Fox Thomas Aribo Moussa Ahearne-Grant Makienok

With just two more games after this before Xmas, we may well see some "diplomatic" sendings off (copyright Danny Mills), so with a three game ban that player is unavailable for the Boxing Day game; more likely to happen on Tuesday though, as that would get them out of the Wolves game too on 28th!
  • Sponsored links:

• Really looking forward to this one - obviously last weekend's defeat was disappointing, but I think it could be a turning point in our season. We'll win this game convincingly and won't lose another game until March, I guarantee it........

Sorry, I was just in the middle of a dream in which I was teleported back to the year 2000 - we had just lost 5-0 to West Ham and were about to beat Manchester City and Arsenal to begin a 9 match unbeaten run.

Anyway, back in the real world, we're home to Leeds on Saturday and it's got all the makings of a great day out for the hoards of travelling Leeds fans. 3-1 defeat, more hilarity for Katrien.

Note to protesters: try not to be too mean to Katrien. She may be the Chief Executive Officer of a once-successful business, but first and foremost she is a woman and should therefore be treated differently to her male counterparts, regardless of how many lies she tells and how many mistakes she makes.

• Well the first bit is easy, Leeds 3, but with our newly found ability to actually score I will risk Charlton 2. It's a great feeling to add some positivism.
  • From @Pedro45's comments I've only just remembered that Gudmundsson rolled his ankle against Brighton last Saturday... Depending on the Press Conference today (Which'll probably tell us nothing) I'd have Charles-Cook in his place if JBG isn't fit
  • Hard fought home win .. we will miss Bauer .. not too much though I would hope ... once again, I would go with the same team as @ForeverAddickted

CAFC 2 v Leeds United 0
  • Another three goals conceded. I don't think we will get four.
  • Pedro45 said:

Team seems to have goals in it at the moment so it's all about the defence. Could we keep a first clean sheet since August?

Errr...you forgot Brum away!
    Good spot!

And that led to three points. A repeat here would be very, very nice

• Don't worry that Baur and Lennon can't play, we've got Lloyd Doyley.

• 2-1 us but a real struggle.
  • We will lose 1-2

Sorry
  • If we lose to Leeds or Bolton (the another championship basket cases) then we can bend over and kiss our arses goodbye all the way to league one.

Having said all that I'm going for a 1-0 with boy wonder scoring the only goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• KF says Jacko, JBG and Lennon all fit for Saturday, all three have trained all week.
  • This is being billed as the clash of the loonies..mad alleged criminal versus mad alleged football club owner.

I assume we are now down to the Under 11s to populate the bench if homework allows.

2-5 loss and Carol confirmed as defensive genius..
  • 1.3 defeat
  • andyg90 said:

KF says Jacko, JBG and Lennon all fit for Saturday, all three have trained all week.

Excellent... Will leave my line-up alone then
  • He has to keep Reza, Lookman and Vaz Te up top. Sod this diamond and 442 nonsense. Every half decent football manager player will tell you 4231 is the way to go.

Henderson
    Solly-Diarra-Lennon-THD
    Cousin-Jackson
    JBG-Vaz Te-Lookman
    Reza
  • Addicks win 2-0......well I can dream cant I??? Back in reality land Addicks to get a point at best. I am unable to do the match thread on Saturday, I'm having a rare day off, but will be back for Tuesday against Bolton. Thanks to whoever stands in for me in advance (NB Seth Plum will be at the game and Lancashire Lad is also out of the picture this week).
  • Comfortable home win 4-0
  • 2-1 Charlton. JBG and Big Mak
  • Addicks win 2-0......well I can dream cant I??? Back in reality land Addicks to get a point at best. I am unable to do the match thread on Saturday, I'm having a rare day off, but will be back for Tuesday against Bolton. Thanks to whoever stands in for me in advance (NB Seth Plum will be at the game and Lancashire Lad is also out of the picture this week).

Sorry you will not be involved this week RM, I sometimes put up any information from BBC and CAFC Tweets, but you cannot rely on me, like we can you