Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lookman being head hunted?

Apparently scouts from Chelsea, man city, Spurs and Arsenal were all at Brighton looking at Lookman and some have already indicated interest in the youngster. I think we may be losing him in January, our owner is a business man and money talks.

Comments

• Lock him in the broom cupboard... Who's Lookman, never heard of him!!
  • edited December 2015
    RD regime essentially sees youngsters as free money. Especially lookman who's only been on the books 1-2 years. Wouldn't be surprised if he's off. Would deffo love another season off him after this one at least. But then I wished the same about Gomez
  • hell be gone, usual thing now, to sit on a bench somewhere if were lucky might get him loaned back to us, if you are a skilled player like that why would you want to stay here.
  • He looked devastated at the end of the game. Was it because he cares so much about the club, or because he couldn't believe that all his good work had been undone by the incompetence of the rest of the team?
  • Gomez had 21 appearances when he left and that was far, far too early. If Lookman went with half that amount of appearances then the player, the buying club and the selling club would all have to take a look at themselves because all would have made a mistake.
  • Don't believe the hype Sadie, Roly's trying to build a better tomorrow.

Yeah, but does that include Charlton, or just a better tomorrow for Staprix and Friends? Someone said somewhere here that Lookman wants to assure his future with us, so we should have a pen paper, and a wage increase done and dusted this week.
  • Can't see Roland turning down any sort of offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
    My money is on him joiningSint-Truiden on loan for 18 months.
  • edited December 2015
    colin1961 said:

J BLOCK said:

Keep paying that Valley Gold

Did not come through our system
    Fair point , but what sort of message does it send out to people paying into Valley Gold if we flog our youngsters off as soon as they pull on a shirt, all we're doing is lining Rolands ...
  • losses pocket.
  • colin1961 said:

J BLOCK said:

Keep paying that Valley Gold

Did not come through our system
    Fair point , but what sort of message does it send out to people paying into Valley Gold if we flog our youngsters off as soon as they pull on a shirt, all we're doing is lining Rolands ...
    I still think that if people don't like to see us selling our youth then they shouldn't following a club of our stature... We'll always lose our kids to the bigger players, yes you could say that Derby have kept hold of Will Hughes but to me that means he's not good enough yet.

Even MK Dons lost Dele Alli after only a few years
  • se9addick said:

Gomez had 21 appearances when he left and that was far, far too early. If Lookman went with half that amount of appearances then the player, the buying club and the selling club would all have to take a look at themselves because all would have made a mistake.

Why was it too early? He went straight into Liverpool's first team and didn't look out of place.

The buying club won't be regretting buying Lookman this early if he's as good as Gomez.
  • But the point should be not about who wants Lookman, but what Lookman wants. Unfortunately, a few years ago, many players like Lookman and/or their families and/or their agents, would have been more than happy for a player like him, to remain at the club, for a few seasons at least on an improved contract. I don't believe that is the case anymore.

Whilst I am a Charlton fan, it is with much regret that if he was my son, I'd be telling him to look elsewhere. Why on earth
  • ....would I want my son to play football under this lot? No thanks.
  • Charlton feeeder club for bigger teams shock, you must be new because this phenomenon certainly isn't !
  • Apparently scouts from Chelsea, man city, Spurs and Arsenal were all at Brighton looking at Lookman and some have already indicated interest in the youngster. I think we may be losing him in January, our owner is a business man and agents and money talk.

• Sponsored links:

• He'll be gone. Its the way of things when your main aim and ambition is to finish above the bottom 3.
    As for scouts watching him, it's not just this week or last. He has been watched like all footballers are throughout their careers and all teams are aware of his talents.
    If he does go, or more likely, when he go's, it will be the time I call it a day with my Valley Gold subs. The club sells youth players year on year it is clearly self financing and really doesn't need my monthly contribution anymore.
  • Of course we have always been a selling club.

However when we sell without even giving the young player time to establish himself in our first team, that is when it gets silly.

And please don't lecture me it's a business. Of course it's a sodding business.

But if you have a player like Gomez and now Lookman playing regularly for us for at least a season plus, then the player's value will double or more over that time

Now that is good business. Selling him now is not.

Can some of you not even see that?

We might not get the choice, if a player INSISTS on leaving then it's very hard to prevent it. I'm sure we've benefited from that, was it Wiggins who forced a move from Bournemouth?
  • Of course we have always been a selling club.

However when we sell without even giving the young player time to establish himself in our first team, that is when it gets silly.

And please don't lecture me it's a business. Of course it's a sodding business.

But if you have a player like Gomez and now Lookman playing regularly for us for at least a season plus, then the player's value will double or more over that time

Now that is good business. Selling him now is not.

Can some of you not even see that?

the problem is though if he doesn't sign a new contract at the end he'll bugger off for practically nothing. We also don't know of any clauses in the contract but if there are not any then summer 2017 he'll leave and we will get the standard compensation, if that depending on what that is based on, so if we were offered even 2m in January or next summer you could see why that would be tempting. Unfortunately now in football it's the players that hold all the aces (and their money grabbing agents of course).
  • edited December 2015
    "sees young players as free money". Right.... so free he subsidises the club around 6-8 million every season, and spends significant amounts on youth development.

How do you know Prague these players don't want to leave? Gomez seemed pretty certain he wanted to go. Yes we'd like more money, yes we'd like stability so players could see an improvement curve over more than a spring resurgence: Hopefully.
  • If I was a player at this club and actually supported them as well, I'm still not sure I'd want to hang around the way the club is being run.