Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memories of trips to Brighton's Goldstone Ground

2»

Comments

• Anyone know what the attendance was at the 7-0 game in 1983?

• seen us win there 3 times , one being the League Liner train.
  • Four random memories...

7-0 thrashing....Jimmy Case lashing them home from the edge of the box at regular intervals. Terry Connor up front and Joe Corrigan in goal for Brighton.

2-1 defeat on an Easter Monday after being 1-0 up (Ronnie Moore at the bottom end). They had a Dutch nutter called Hans Kraay who stood in front of John Vaughan (I think) at corners...bouncing around waving his arms. The only time I saw Frank Worthington play.

5-3 victory....Brilliant late surge to win a topsy-turvey game. Martin Keown scored for them. Knew we were the real deal after that game.

2-1 victory.....Paul Gorman header, Clive Walker equaliser and Robert Lee winner at the top end. The birth of the Pink Pink Pink Teddy (who still happily resides with my ex in Wales, after being liberated at Barnsley) and i think the debut of Jermaine Darlington?

• Anyone know what the attendance was at the 7-0 game in 1983?

I don't even need to look that up to know you are spot on.
  • Saw my first ever Charlton away game there, we lost 7-0..... Couldn't wait for the next away trip after that, was totally hooked.

You didn't have long to wait....the next away game was the following Saturday at Newcastle (and there were about 35 of us there). It's on YouTube that one.
  • Started a new teaching job in 1983 in Brighton. My fellow staff members and many of the students found out the name of my favourite team. I think we began the season unbeaten, until that fateful day at the Goldstone when a newly relegated BHA thrashed us seven nil. I left before the final whistle. One of the very rare occasions, when I felt the defeat personally, and, needless to say, my colleagues later took pleasure in making the usual sarcastic comments.

I missed next season's encounter which ended 2-1 to the home side. The following season I was in the away end to witness us stick five past the opposition. A great day out and possibly one of the best performances from a Charlton team. Years later I can still see in my mind's eye Mike Flanagan's flicked header eluding the outstretched hand of Digweed in the Brighton goal. Cue the away support going beserk...

Went to many other Charlton games at the Goldstone. Was it there that Garth Crooks scored his last goal for us? At one stage BHA adopted the garb similar to TESCO'S carrier bags! One very cold evening I took my two kids, who were still at primary school, to witness us lose - the only bright spark being Colin Walsh's free kick which went straight in. We were also present when Rob Lee scored and someone amongst the CAFC faithful was throwing around a large teddy bear. The said stuffed toy then knocked a copper's helmet askew - no stewards in those days - luckily the PC's sergeant, who was standing next to him, saw the funny side and no arrests were made.

• The 7-0 defeat was, I believe, Ronnie Moore's first game for us after the fans 'bought' him.

We still had a sense of humour in those days when we got stuffed.

I think that is one of three times I've seen us concede 7(seven) goals away from home. Goldstone, Turf Moor and Kenilworth Road.

The Fans United game at the Goldstone was an excellent day out as well - I think that was 7-0 as well against Hartlepool. Big Charlton contingent that day.
  • Went to a pre season friendly at the start of the 64/5 season with a mate from school, Peter Bryen. Love to see Pete again.
    Bobby Smith, recently signed from Spurs, scored in a 3-1 defeat.
  • Addickted said:

The 7-0 defeat was, I believe, Ronnie Moore's first game for us after the fans 'bought' him.

I think that is one of three times I've seen us concede 7(seven) goals away from home. Goldstone, Turf Moor and Kenilworth Road.

The Fans United game at the Goldstone was an excellent day out as well - I think that was 7-0 as well against Hartlepool. Big Charlton contingent that day.

After 45 minutes of conga lines etc, we got a corner in the last minute and surged down to try and invade the pitch. Remember Ronnie Moore looking at us and shaking his head. Don't worry Ronnie it got far more surreal than that at Charlton in those days....
  • Oh, and there was another game where we were drinking in a bar by the station when oohaah, who has the drinking capabilities of a schoolgirl, drunk seasoned alcoholics drinkers under the table.
    I still think there was witchcraft or sleight of hand involved that day.
    We lost 2-1 I think, and a couple of us were lucky (debatable) to be let into the ground.

Everything in the stars were lined up that day for my drinking capabilities , it was my Kevin Lisbie v Liverpool hatrick moment , never to be see or repeated again , not even close , i could sup a pint in 3 that day, continuously sinking them for fun, stuff being a bloke and being able to do that regular , drinking hurts

• Sponsored links:

• I remember one defeat in which I believe it is true Crooks scored his last goal for us.
    Lots of eventful and memorable games between our clubs both at their place and at the Valley.
    I do remember being at a party once where famous Brighton fan, Atilla the Stockbroker continually told me how chite Carl Leaburn was, and how crappy our club were!
    This was in the days where we were at Selhurst and Brighton still at the Goldstone and relatively stable.
    I often wonder if he remembered that conversation when a couple of years later Brighton were on their knees, and Charlton supporters having learned from the Valley Return campaign were trying to help them, and indeed formed the biggest other club group at their fans united day.
    Either way I quite like Brighton and Hove Albion despite their new found arrogance because I don't believe their fanbase is defined by one down the nose looking idiot. There remain some Brighton supporters with a degree of measured humility who can remember who their friends were in the dark days.
  • Only went there once, though no idea whether it was the 1—2 defeat in 91 or the 2-1 win in 1992. All I can remember is one of our group getting nicked for D&D outside ground, the away bit being the open side of pitch, and an inflatable pink elephant being thrown around the away end.

What aways did you do down there? Any memorable stories? Did anyone on here go down there for the Fans United game?

This was my first away game... Robinson scored one of the goals... we all surged forward and a few people fell through the gate (they'd just taken the fences down) onto the pitch and were being chased around by the stewards... definitely remember a fair few inflatables being chucked around....
  • All I can remember is one of our group getting nicked for D&D outside ground

Badass
  • Only ever been there to watch Brighton lose to someone - cannot remember who, but I do remember what an awful ground it was.
  • Went a couple of times. The 5-3 was a cracker, but I remember the 1992 game because it was so cold that in the 2nd half I left our spot with my brother to help him get the teas. Just as he'd paid and turned around Robert Lee scored and as he jumped up he soaked and burnt most of those Addicks in front of him. Happy days.
  • sm said:

Only ever been there to watch Brighton lose to someone - cannot remember who, but I do remember what an awful ground it was.

Used to love going there with Charlton ...terrific atmosphere, a proper ground.
  • I had an early Simon Inglis football ground book (late 80's) and he reckoned The Goldstone, The Valley (we were in exile at the time but he still included it), Peterborough and Lincoln were the only English league grounds at the time with an open terrace filling one side. I always assumed there would be more, comes of seeing the vast East terrace every other week I suppose.
  • Been a few times. 5-3 win sticks out. Recall a 2-1 win as well somewhere along the line. Think someone else has mentioned it but remember nearly getting hypothermia in a ZDS Cup defeat - was it 3-1?
  • edited December 2015
    Fookin great games down there. First bit of away day football freedom for Soapy. Great trip down, seats and lights bulbs out of the train window on the way. The buzz of drinking under age and getting away with it, four half cans of light ale from the Offie in Lee and feeling the benefit of it. Stop and search at least four times from the station AND standing up for more than 10 minutes at the game without every bloody bone aching. The excitement of Brighton away, truly wonderful days out!
  • Remember going to one game when Lawrenson was playing for them - think we got stuffed.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember going with my parents down to the Goldstone for that monsoon game. No way it would have been played these days - puddles all over the pitch - 1-1 draw if I recall correctly.
  • I had an early Simon Inglis football ground book (late 80's) and he reckoned The Goldstone, The Valley (we were in exile at the time but he still included it), Peterborough and Lincoln were the only English league grounds at the time with an open terrace filling one side. I always assumed there would be more, comes of seeing the vast East terrace every other week I suppose.

Now that is a great quiz question.
  • edited December 2015
    Only went there the once and that was when Dad took me by train in 1960 winning 5-3. Whether it was an optical illusion I don't know but I seem to remember the six yard box at the end we sat which was covered was raised meaning the height of the goal was less than eight feet! Went to the Withdean at the end of 2010 and have been to the Amex twice, all drawn matches so I'm unbeaten on the road against Brighton and as I won't be going today, that record is safe :wink:
  • Been a few times. 5-3 win sticks out. Recall a 2-1 win as well somewhere along the line. Think someone else has mentioned it but remember nearly getting hypothermia in a ZDS Cup defeat - was it 3-1?

Mike Small, aaagh
  • edited December 2015
    Went to the 7-0, 3-5, 3-2, 2-1,1-2 and 3-1 games. Used the like the goldstone.
  • Saw a few games there, mostly defeats as I recall, that the most memorable was the ZDS cup defeat, because of the extreme cold and worst curry ever after the game, sums the experience up really.
  • edited December 2015

Remember going to one game when Lawrenson was playing for them - think we got stuffed.

just looked it up - April 79, lost 2-0.
  • edited December 2015

Remember going to one game when Lawrenson was playing for them - think we got stuffed.

just looked it up - April 79, lost 2-0.
    I was at that one - it was hotter than the surface of the sun that day.

Someone mentioned Mike Small, one visit I 'd forgotten about was a 3-2 at the start of the first season after we got relegated with Lennie. I think the great man scored twice for them that day, sends a shudder down the spine....
  • Addickted said:

The 7-0 defeat was, I believe, Ronnie Moore's first game for us after the fans 'bought' him.

Remember that game up at Turf Moor, we went 1-0 up (I think) then Hales got sent off and Dennis told a copper that his dog stinks...just like the ref.