Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memories of trips to Brighton's Goldstone Ground

Only went there once, though no idea whether it was the 1—2 defeat in 91 or the 2-1 win in 1992. All I can remember is one of our group getting nicked for D&D outside ground, the away bit being the open side of pitch, and an inflatable pink elephant being thrown around the away end.

What aways did you do down there? Any memorable stories? Did anyone on here go down there for the Fans United game?

Comments

• back in the early sixties it always seemed that we played there in early winter and there used to be a hot chestnut seller near the ground, used to burn my fingers peeling them :smiley:
  • Saw my first ever Charlton away game there, we lost 7-0..... Couldn't wait for the next away trip after that, was totally hooked.
  • edited December 2015
    17 Oct 1959 Brighton and Hove Albion v Charlton Athletic D 1-1 League Division Two

15 Oct 1960 Brighton and Hove Albion v Charlton Athletic W 3-5 League Division Two

10 Apr 1962 Brighton and Hove Albion v Charlton Athletic D 2-2 League Division Two
  • My memory for detail is shot these days, but I went there on the League Liner (1974?) and was there for the monsoon game (,I think Peacock nearly drowned in one of the puddles on the pitch).
    Drunk as a skunk at the League Liner game, but stone cold sober in the monsoon and the car broke down on the way back.
  • The 5-3 win in the promotion season was awesome.
  • But the 3-0 or 3-1 defeat in the Simod cup was a real fun night out or perhaps not.
  • Been there twice, we won both times. The second one was a swashbuckling 5-3. Great day. For one Saturday afternoon we forgot that our club had been ripped away from the Valley and dumped in Selhurst.
  • edited December 2015
    I live round the corner now and seeing how shite the "commercial opportunity" became is always depressing.

My memory is the very early 90s, I think it had gone a bit nasty outside, and then the whole atmosphere detoxifying as all four sides joined in anti-Nigels songs.

An ex girlfriend of mine used to work in the furniture shop on the Goldstone estate and she had an American come into her shop and insist on taking photos around a sofa on the spot where "David Beckham scored his first ever free kick" (I've never checked this for accuracy)

A lot of my friends down here are Brighton fans and we always got on until they got the AMEX at which point they all to a man became arrogant ****s. This year is the first year living down here me and my kids aren't going as I couldn't face paying £68 for the three of us just to see us humiliated...
  • As a kid I spent a lot of time at the Goldstone. I lived in Hurstpierpoint and spent a short period of time selling programmes.
    Best memory was on my 12th birthday in 1981 when Liverpool were playing. A number of my friends supported Liverpool, obvious glory hunters of the day. I made it the main event of my party and my dad duly hired a minibus and took a dozen or so of my mates. It was a very popular move. I was pretty excited myself getting to see the likes of Dalglish, McDermott and Case (who was actually playing for the home team in his dotage).
    Anyway, it absolutely pissed if down and it was bloody packed - must have been over 20,000 - and on the terraces my mates and I couldn't get the best view on the terraces. Some of them started to whinge and my dad had had enough at half time. Can't remember if it was 3-0 or 3-1 to Liverpool. So we left. Dad said we'd hear the 2nd half on the radio on the way to McDs for the next part of the occasion.
    The rain eased, and the match ended 3-3. Sod's law.
  • One of my first ever football matches was Brighton v Hull on a Friday night, early seventies. Staying at my grandparents in Eastbourne my Dad decided to take us, picking up a cousin en route, think it was 2-0 to Brighton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saying goodbye to his horse
  • I lived in Brighton for a few years, was at the 7-0, 5-3 & also a pre-season friendly there around 85ish - cant remember the score in that one.
  • Brighton 5, Hartlepool 0, February 8th 1997. One of the best away days, EVER. The first 'Fans United' day of action, whereby fans from all over the UK, Europe, and beyond, came to offer support for the ailing B&HA FC, whose chairman, Bill Archer, had engineered the sale of the Goldstone, without sorting out another venue. Without a game that day, LOTS of Addicks were there to show solidarity. The gates got opened, loads of us got in without paying and everyone donated to the B&HA Independent Supporters' Club, who were going around with buckets. Attila the Stockbroker was PA / DJ. Sussex cops info-gatherers were intent on filming the large and up-for-it 'home' support - i.e.us - and we sang and sang all game. Brighton were good value for their win that day. The atmosphere was terrific. We loved it. The cops didn't. A great day. There was another Fans United some while later, when Brighton were ground-sharing at Gillingham. That was a good day, too.

//urban75.org/blog/brighton-fans-united-feb-1997-a-proper-football-protest/
  • Brighton 5, Hartlepool 0, February 8th 1997. One of the best away days, EVER. The first 'Fans United' day of action, whereby fans from all over the UK, Europe, and beyond, came to offer support for the ailing B&HA FC, whose chairman, Bill Archer, had engineered the sale of the Goldstone, without sorting out another venue. Without a game that day, LOTS of Addicks were there to show solidarity. The gates got opened, loads of us got in without paying and everyone donated to the B&HA Independent Supporters' Club, who were going around with buckets. Attila the Stockbroker was PA / DJ. Sussex cops info-gatherers were intent on filming the large and up-for-it 'home' support - i.e.us - and we sang and sang all game. Brighton were good value for their win that day. The atmosphere was terrific. We loved it. The cops didn't. A great day. There was another Fans United some while later, when Brighton were ground-sharing at Gillingham. That was a good day, too.

//urban75.org/blog/brighton-fans-united-feb-1997-a-proper-football-protest/

Steve Gritt manager. Great day.
  • Went to Brighton at the Goldstone a few times , always a good mental booze up
    Before I drank I remember the 3-5 away win (October 1985) in our promotion season I think Curbs got 2 (I never rated him as a player , bit of a crab)
    I remember coming out and heading to the coach and it kicking off in a little park opposite away entrance
    We were in the away pen in the corner in those days , in the latter years that was moved to a section at the side of the ground
    There was a full members cup game there as well (December 1991 Zenith Data Systems , I just looked it up) we lost 3-1 and it was freezing

Had a mate at school who was a Brighton fan (his dad lived down there) and March 1986 I went to my first non Charlton game as they played a top flight Southampton in the FA cup quarter final , when the FA Cup was big , a crowd of 25,069 crammed in there and Southampton had a good following , this was before football was trendy
    Southampton side had Peter Shilton , Mark Wright , Kevin Bond , Jimmy Case and Danny Wallace in a strong team
    It was packed standing behind the goal in the Brighton end , big atmosphere and anticipation but they got beat 0-2 but I recall one attack where Brighton nearly scored and I must have surged 15 steps down and back up in a nano second it was a mental feeling and one that as a Charlton fan I had only just experienced the year before away at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup
    Great days

*overdosed on Cadburys last night
  • First visit, September 1990, Lost 3-2. Constant chants of "Sex case, sex case, hang him, hang him, hang him".at the former Chelsea wide man, Clive Walker.
  • Memories may be playing tricks but...Did we play them in a pre season friendly? Was a night game, late 80's/early 90's and was in the summer.
    Didn't plan on going but took half day off work on a whim and jumped on a train. Got there at about 1ish and proceeded to get on the lash on my own. Don't remember anything about the match. Went to some club after the game completely oblivious that I had missed the last train and hadn't booked into any B and B.
    When the lights came on in the club at the end of the night, I then began to realise it was a little later than I thought.
    Stepping out of that club I hadn't got a clue what I was gonna do, then lo and behold, I recognise a cafc face. Thinking he was in the same predicament I asked how the f&(k do we get home?
    Where's home?, he said.
    Eltham, I replied.
    "I'll drop you" he said. Which he did along with 3 or 4 of his charlton mates.
    I never got the chance to get him a few beers. I think his name was Terry.

*cue all the "I'm Terry, when can I get these beers"? Comments.
  • Oh, and there was another game where we were drinking in a bar by the station when oohaah, who has the drinking capabilities of a schoolgirl, drunk seasoned alcoholics drinkers under the table.
    I still think there was witchcraft or sleight of hand involved that day.
    We lost 2-1 I think, and a couple of us were lucky (debatable) to be let into the ground.
  • Been a few times.

The 7-0 one we nearly took the lead, Steve Dowman fluffed a good chance, from then on everything they hit went in, Jimmy Case got a hat trick, Terry Connor got a couple. Seven down on the hour mark, thought they were going to get double figures, we nearly scored at the end which would have made our day.

The 5-3 win a few years later was a great game, the lead changed hands a few times. At 3-3 Humphrey got one off the line, we then went down the other end to make it 4-3 then Curbs got a another one in injury time.

Went to another on either Good Friday or Easter Monday, Frank Worthington was playing for them, he got a lot of stick but what a class player, we lost 2-0 or 2-1.

Also another one early season where we lost 3-2.

• Sponsored links:

• I've been there a few times. Can't remember exactly when, probably in the late seventies and eighties. I can remember we won at least one of them! I really liked that ground.
  • Remember going on the special train "The Football Leauge Liner" which had a disco on board. It was a big deal at the time. Buggered if I can remember the result that day. But must have been to Goldstone half a dozen times, including the 7-0.
  • Had some great away days there. First away game outside London was the 7 0 game, first weekend away with the boys was the 5 3 game. We all jumped on the train at London Bridge after work on Friday and stayed down there for 2 nights. An image etched into my memory is that of Ian Pittman hanging off the fence, giving it to Clive walker. We also stayed down there for another game (I think we won 2 1) but can't remember exactly when.
  • I used to go there regularly, even when Charlton weren't playing. My Grandma used to live in Shoreham and so I would go down to see her, also taking in a game.
  • April 62 - Bottom of the table clash - evening KO - dash on the train after work - Charlton without a fit keeper - a 'had to get a point game' . looking at the quality of the team it still remains difficult to understand how Charlton had got themselves into such a dire position :- Hewie ( usually RB ), Sewell, Ord ( have no memory of him whatsoever), Tocknell, (highly talented member of the SA contingent) , Hinton ( went onto get U23 caps & eventually moved to Chelsea), Bailey ( won a number of full international caps for England ), Lawrie ( transfer in from Liverpool and became a great favourite at the Valley), Matthews ( lithe , lean and hard working ), Leary , Edwards ( daisy ),and the great Brian Kinsey . 2-2 on the night. Brighton eventually relegated -CAFC 6 points away from the drop come the end of the campaign.
  • A Friday night sleeping in a beach hut with my mates in the 70's after getting drunk in Revolution nightclub, then into town in the morning for breakfast and booze, chased by police dogs in Brighton station and getting to Hove having had a great time ... as we always did down at Brighton ... the Goodbye Horse chant after altercation with police horses in Brighton bus station.
  • Went quite a few times to see Charlton play:

The 7-0 was awful. Stood with home fans near the half-way line, watching the goals go in. Singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"! Notably, our worst player that day was centre forward Ronnie Moore - he gave up and wandered around doing nothing, so the ball kept coming back on the defence which simply could not cope.

3-2 win in September 1990 was good (Oooh Gordon Watson!), as beforehand I told my dad as we walked along the prom that I had taken voluntary redundancy at work.

1993(?) Simod Cup game which we lost 3-0 was one of the coldest games I've ever been too. The pitch froze before your eyes as the game went on.

Also remember a 3 or 4 goal beating when Peter Ward was on fire, and Brighton went up to Div 1; 30k in the ground that day and the police (who were always nasty there) were picking on anyone, one copper pushing fans around and then trying to nick them if they resisted at all. Didn't work with me or my dad and eventually we made a complaint and a senior cop removed the bad boy from the terrace.

I've never been to the Withdean or Amex...
  • Anyone know what the attendance was at the 7-0 game in 1983?
  • Saw my first ever Charlton away game there, we lost 7-0..... Couldn't wait for the next away trip after that, was totally hooked.

Same season we went to Pompey on Boxing day and lost 4-0 "Your not as good as Brighton" Happy Days!
  • Remember going down there (1st of quite a few visits) in the mid 70's...game ended 1-1 but the main thing I remember was it pissed down with rain...absolute soaking.