Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Well done the Upbeats

2»

Comments

• Well done to all involved.
  • Indeed Mr J Jackson. Glad to see he is sufficiently recovered to be in the team for Saturday.
  • edited December 2015
    This Video will give you an idea of the excitement of the Upbeats winning. I was lucky enough to be asked to witness it.

• Thank you, Curb it, for the video as it really made me so proud of the Upbeats, their coaches and Charlton Community Trust. It made tears of joy roll down my face but made me so pleased that the team are such a part of many Charlton fans' thoughts. I had not fully realised (despite the various fundraising events recently) that they have not received funding for 5 years! Such magnificent work that must be so rewarding for all involved.
    Come on The Upbeats! I really hope we see them at The Valley soon to parade their trophy.
    Thanks again for the clip.
  • Since CL didn't sponsor any player shirts this season maybe we could do something for the Upbeats?
  • Since CL didn't sponsor any player shirts this season maybe we could do something for the Upbeats?

Sounds a good idea, Henry.
  • edited December 2015

Since CL didn't sponsor any player shirts this season maybe we could do something for the Upbeats?

We do something every year and guarantee we will continue that in 2016 and beyond. Urge everyone interested to watch the video. Will guarantee it won't be 5 mins wasted.
  • Thanks for the video Curb_It. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. AFKA put is as an announcement at the top of the page for the rest of the day. Just shows what this club and fans are about.
  • Thanks for the video Curb_It, bloody brilliant that.

I always assumed The Upbeats were funded by the club, it comes as quite a shock that they aren't.
  • red_murph said:

Thanks for the video Curb_It, bloody brilliant that.

I always assumed The Upbeats were funded by the club, it comes as quite a shock that they aren't.

The club doesn't provide any funding for the Community Trust as far as I'm aware including the Upbeats.
  • Sponsored links:

• As Carl says in his speech, the Upbeats is maintained by the generosity of sponsors and what gets raised and donated by the Charlton supporter community, which is why we have always been so keen here to play a big part in rallying and contributing as it has a considerable impact, like the walk earlier in the year which raised 15k.

The scheme was extended from its pilot because the fans rallied to win a phone competition that supplied 30k of funding. Its continued existence since has not been down to central funding but largely through the connection and support from the Charlton supporter community.

Personally, I think that makes it even more special.
  • Love it when celebs do stuff like this in their own time, well done FatBoy

And also everyone else that contributes their time and sometimes money to these sorts of things, well done everyone

That's very harsh on AFKA.

Seriously, my niece gives up a small amount of time each Saturday to help the upbeats and finds it very rewarding.
    Just reading things like this gives a little warm glow inside of me. Well done to all involved.
  • Is that your niece that did the walk with RedRH this year?

It's Afka's video.

I still have funds carried over from previous years too and from the two shirts this season.
  • Curb_It said:

Is that your niece that did the walk with RedRH this year?

It's Afka's video.

I still have funds carried over from previous years too and from the two shirts this season.

Yes
  • Hi B yes thats her - just dropped her off to do today's stint! She really enjoys her time with the youngsters, and got recognised by her school for the volunteering and walk and awarded a Jack Petchey award this year :-)

Great video too! All very humbling
  • A
    Curb_It said:

Is that your niece that did the walk with RedRH this year?

It's Afka's video.

And I still have half of the cost of my season ticket to donate, I thought you were doing that "river walk" on a weekly basis! ;)
  • Brilliant for the Upbeats, CACT and all sponsors, parents and helpers to get this recognition, simply wonderful.

Also a great example of what is meant by a couple of words we all treasure........"our Charlton"
  • Perhaps these lads should give a pre-match talk to the first team, they will shame them into a winning performance.
  • Hi B yes thats her - just dropped her off to do today's stint! She really enjoys her time with the youngsters, and got recognised by her school for the volunteering and walk and awarded a Jack Petchey award this year :-)

Great video too! All very humbling

That's amazing. She should be very proud and so should you. Well done.
  • Respect to the Leeds fans on Saturday, who gave the Upbeats a rousing reception when they were doing their lap of honour.
    Frankly it came as a surprise bearing in mind their reputation.

• Sponsored links:

• Liked as well how the Charlton subs stopped their warm up to applaud and give them each a high five.

Special mention to the lad who saved the Half-Time penalty
  • What a great pleasure it was to watch the video of the awards ceremony and see the Charlton Upbeats at the Valley on Saturday, the joy on their faces was truly heartwarming and proves what a fantastic force for good the CAFC Community Scheme is in the lives of disabled young people.
    Good on you Upbeats! Hope you go from strength to strength and enjoy ever increasing success on the pitch and off.