Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

5 INFLUENTIAL GEETAR MEN .. DISCUSS

Comments

• It's absolutely absurd there have been no mentions of Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, and most ridiculously Django Reinhardt, who did all his solo work using the two non-injured fingers on his left hand. (Then again, jazz is often overlooked given the CL demographic.) Honourable mention to George Benson.

Then in the classical world you have Andres Segovia (the OG), John Williams (not the composer), Narciso Yepes etc etc etc.

When it comes to the genres that have already been covered though, Chuck Berry is definitely the most influential (if not the flashiest); Hendrix could make a guitar weep; Page is one of my favourite players; Nile Rodgers is perhaps THE source of guitar funk; and Robert Johnson is THE source of all popular guitar music - jazz, blues, rock, etc.
  • If this is about (UK) influence and not how good a guitar player:

Number of guitars sold in the UK prior to Lonnie Donegan’s cover of Rock Island Line was 5000 a year.

After this song charted the number of guitar sales rose to 250,000 year.

I’m not sure it’s fair to say that was all due to Lonnie Donegan but a fairly large influence on all the early UK rock and roll scene when teenagers realised, like punk, that you only needed to know three chords and no classical training to form a skiffle band.

• edited August 2019

Slowhand - Crossroads.

(that refers to best guitar solos rather than most influential).

• The funkiest band and the best riff with the coolest singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc26EFI1_nw
  • No mention of Scotty Moore
  • edited August 2019
    Nils Lofgren
  • Any bassists been mentioned?
    Bernard Edwards?
    Stanley Jordan?
    Mark King (only slightly tongue in cheek)
  • Anyone mentioned Les Paul? Not the greatest, but the man who made the electric guitar become essential to any rock and roller. 
    Think Bill Haley, Elvis, anyone since. Peter Green the best I've ever seen, Slowhand not in the same league.

Paul was also the man to develop successful multi- track dubbing, and with only four tracks available. 
  • Not sure how no one has mentioned John Mayer...
  • Any bassists been mentioned?
    Bernard Edwards?
    Stanley Jordan?
    Mark King (only slightly tongue in cheek)
    Jaco Pastorius, Charles Mingus, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Scott LaFaro... could go on and on with bassists!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Bert Jansch probably fits the definition of "guitarists that no-one has heard of" but is cited as a major influence by Marr, Page, and so indirectly has influenced 3 generations of guitarists.

Actually Page ripped off his arrangement of Blackwaterside and put it on Led Zep 1 as "Black mountainside"

https://youtu.be/FHYE7etshpM

• Albert Lee

David Gates
    Is that David Gates Of Bread? Interesting choice, loved Guitar Man.
  • bobmunro said:
    Chuck Berry BB King Jimmy Page Robert Fripp Johnny Marr
    I was gonna suggest fripp but I thought the numbskulls on here would shout me down%)
    I would agree with him being considered one of the great guitarists - not sure he would be in the top 5 most influential though.
    It's about influential players. Why is that difficult to understand?
    because people don't necessarily have to quote to be influenced.
    I’ve read quite a few articles about other musicians/ bands who mention Fripp/Crimson being an influence.
  • Albert Lee

David Gates
    Is that David Gates Of Bread? Interesting choice, loved Guitar Man.
    Correct - David Gates of Bread - when I was a little boy I would sit at the top of the stairs listening to LP's my dad would put on when they had dinner parties (it was the 1970's and no - car keys were not involved !!!) - guaranteed Bread would be put on - loved it - Guitar Man, Make it with You, Sweet Surrender, Diary - great songs with David Gates very individual voice and a guitar tune that (as far as I know) is instantly appropriated them to Bread

I'm don't have the massive music knowledge compared to some on here, so don't shoot me down if David Gates / Bread copied someone else

I went to see David Gates live at Albert Hall years ago - brilliant - he joked that he now wished he hadn't written the songs with such a high singing note, as now he was older he was struggling to hit them
  • Eddie Van Halen should be mentioned for popularising the tapping technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CwDKqfMX3o
  • Neil Young must be in the mix.
  • bobmunro said:
    Neil Young must be in the mix.
    Hmmm... Neil Young the songwriter is a huge influence, not so Neil Young the guitar player! 
  • John McGeoch
  • Brian May? 

Slash?
  • Steve Cradock Eric Clapton BB King Guthrie Govan Jimmi Hendrix
    Johnny Marr John Squire
    Nailed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bert Jansch probably fits the definition of "guitarists that no-one has heard of" but is cited as a major influence by Marr, Page, and so indirectly has influenced 3 generations of guitarists.

Actually Page ripped off everyone

Fixed  ;)
  • edited August 2019
    Oh...that poor instrument again...
    Been hijacked abused  and vandalised so much over the years (by - amongst others, many mentioned above)
    So my villain is:  YAMANDU COSTA
    He reminds me of Glen Gould (piano). They both have healthy contempt for their instruments.

https://youtu.be/pUgSr2-ifnY
  • James Honeyman Scott 
    Tom Verlaine 
    Wilco Johnson 
    danny Kustow
    colin mulding 
  • Possibly not so much over here but Glen Campbell was a big influence to many prospective guitarists - he sure could play and in the 60s and long before he became a solo artist played as a studio musician for any number of  artists including the Beach Boys on classics such as "I Get Around" and "Help Me Rhonda" plus the influential album "Pet Sounds"
  • Brian May? 

Slash?
    I’ve always loathed Brian May, if for no other reason than his ridiculous hairstyle, I simply can’t get beyond it! Says someone who others may feel also has a ridiculous hairstyle.

How ridiculous is that?
  • Brian May? 

Slash?
    I’ve always loathed Brian May, if for no other reason than his ridiculous hairstyle, I simply can’t get beyond it! Says someone who others may feel also has a ridiculous hairstyle.

How ridiculous is that?
    Pat Metheny is the same. Good guitarist, bad hair.
  • Steve Stevens 
    dave gregory
    G E Smith
    ashley Mulford 
    robbie mackintosh 

• Quick heads up. 

Planet Rock are holding a poll for the best guitar solo ever and will reveal the top 40 countdown on Bank Holiday Monday, 26th August.  I'm sure Wives and children will understand as they head out for the coast/zoo/theme park on their own as you take up position in the living room/ garden with your preferred relaxant and head nod / finger boogie through the afternoon.

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/we-want-you-to-help-us-choose-the-best-guitar-solo-ever/?

https://www.relate.org.uk/  

To follow up ... Comfortably Numb is number one, Free Bird came in two (although third would have scanned better).

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/the-top-40-greatest-guitar-solos-ever/

• Lou Reed
    Marc Bolan