Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 INFLUENTIAL GEETAR MEN .. DISCUSS

Comments

• Options

Johnny Ramone.

Influenced a hell of a lot of people's guitar playing

Haha
  • Options

Johnny Ramone.

Actually I agree with that
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'd like to throw Steve Jones, Nile Rogers, Dave Gilmore, Steve Vai and Frank Zappa into the mix to ensure that they get a mention, but in the final analysis, I think you can perm any five from six - though in terms of perms Hendrix was obviously the greatest ;-)

Robert Johnson, Les Paul, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Johnny Ramone.

Of course but then me and you both recognise this : - )

• Options
    As for influence how about Nile Rodgers and Steve Cropper. Lot of soul and funk music influence
  • Options
    Can't believe no-one has mentioned Johnny Marr yet.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Johnny Marr yet.

Yeah he's great at playing the same tune over and over again.
  • Options
    I think most guitarists would say Johnson, Muddy Walters, BB King, but then I am not a guitarist.
    Top of the list for me would be Hendrix, Clapton and Beck, my other favourites are Kossoff, Gallagher, and Zappa,
    Hendrix came to the uk to meet Eric and Jeff, according to Chas Chandler. Rory would like any traditional Bluesplayer's like Leadbelly, Clapton cites Johnson, and Hendrix.
    and so on and so forth. SRV, Page, and Joe Bonamassa like them all. Tend not to compare.
    I tend to go through phases, but always go back to Jimi and Rory the later being the one who I would love to see live again, he was such a wonderful slide player, and was such a great guy, devoted to the blues.
  • Options
    My five Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter, Jimi Hendrix, BB King.
  • Options
    Peter Green, Jimi Hendrix, Albert Johnson, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

No Joni?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Albert Johnson?

• Options
    Steve Cradock

Eric Clapton

BB King

Guthrie Govan

Jimmi Hendrix
  • Options

Johnny Ramone.

Equally Ron Asheton, as the Ramones sound was basically classic American pop welded to visceral Stooges yowl
  • Options
    Surprised Lennon or Harrison ain't been mentioned considering their music was so groundbreaking and they were from one of, if not the most influential bands of all time....
  • Options

Steve Cradock

Eric Clapton

BB King

Guthrie Govan

Jimmi Hendrix

Johnny Marr

John Squire
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Johnny Ramone.

Rossi & Parfitt far greater influences so far as this is concerned imho.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Johnny Ramone.

Rossi & Parfitt far greater influences so far as this is concerned imho.
    Albeit that you had to be able to play the barre version of these chords in order to replicate the Quo.
  • Options
    Sorry is it supposed to be guitar players that have influenced a lot of people to pick up a guitar and have a go, or is it the original innovators who have influenced the key well known players to mimic them in their style of playing?
    Because there is a difference.....I think..... only I'm getting a tad confused :-)
    You see, as someone said earlier Status Quo probably encouraged and influenced a lot of people to pick up a guitar in the 70s but I'm not really sure that they can be said to be as influential in any way as Robert Johnson was to the development of a style of guitar playing.
    I suspect the truly great guitarists pick up influences all over the place, from just about every genre going, and somehow turn them into their own style. It depends hugely on the style of playing selected to determine who is a big influence.
    I'm beginning to confuse myself here :-) so I am going to have an early night, perhaps it will all seem clearer in the morning ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't read the entire thread so don't know if anyone has mentioned Walter Trout yet. Remarkable blues rock guitarist who shouldn't even be alive. His new album called "Battle Scars" is a work of art.
  • Options

As for influence how about Nile Rodgers and Steve Cropper. Lot of soul and funk music influence

For influence, Nile Rodgers is a good call
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Johnny Ramone.

Memories :smiley:
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Sorry is it supposed to be guitar players that have influenced a lot of people to pick up a guitar and have a go, or is it the original innovators who have influenced the key well known players to mimic them in their style of playing?
    Because there is a difference.....I think..... only I'm getting a tad confused :-)
    You see, as someone said earlier Status Quo probably encouraged and influenced a lot of people to pick up a guitar in the 70s but I'm not really sure that they can be said to be as influential in any way as Robert Johnson was to the development of a style of guitar playing.
    I suspect the truly great guitarists pick up influences all over the place, from just about every genre going, and somehow turn them into their own style. It depends hugely on the style of playing selected to determine who is a big influence.
    I'm beginning to confuse myself here :-) so I am going to have an early night, perhaps it will all seem clearer in the morning ;-)

It's not you mate, threads like these always deteriorate with people trying to be oh so clever by naming people that the majority of others have to look up as they haven't heard of them. Makes them feel important.
  • Options
    Is this a thread to list the most influential guitarists of all time, or a thread to list the most obscure guitarists of all time?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    fadgadget said:

How about this fella

Legend.

"Rolling Stones? Beatles? I opened the door for those boys...and was left holding the handle!"

Plenty of people ripped off were influenced by Bo Diddley, but his label mate Chuck Berry must be the most copied guitar player of the lot.

• Options

fadgadget said:

How about this fella

Legend.

"Rolling Stones? Beatles? I opened the door for those boys...and was left holding the handle!"

Plenty of people ripped off were influenced by Bo Diddley, but his label mate Chuck Berry must be the most copied guitar player of the lot.

I Think you can add Buddy Holly to that list as well .

• Options
    Sister Rosetta tharpe. Check her out
  • Options
    Ollie Hallsall of Patto is/was a major guitarist influence (but invisible to the general public).
    Mississipi John Hurt is a big folk/blues influence.
    I think Hendrix set them all alight.