Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Why I Tried to Give you a Leaflet (Nov 2015)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015

We are 2-0 down, and our man hammers a ball in to Gudmundsson's nuts. Pole-axed, lengthy treatment. The whole stadium laughed.

It was 1-0.

Poor effort. 3/10.
    AKFA's essay reads like a script for a Hovis ad.

All those drippy words about Floyd Road: what utter drivel. All that endless love for a dreary terraced street. For heaven's sake, you children were not born when we ran on to the pitch at Sell-Out Park, Lennie Lawrence taking us up to the first division.

A superb team in the play-offs: watch our Crooksy curving and hammering it from 30 yards. And Steve Gritt running over the free-kick to deceive Leeds: curled in to the box - 2-1 in extra time.

Can you imagine Simon Makienok doing anything like that?

Ha ha!

• Options
    I was one of the few at St Andrews that memorable night.
  • Options
    What's occurring here?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

What's occurring here?

Viewfinder depositing his drivel and excrement all over the forum.

Nothing new.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

What's occurring here?

looks like the usual ... please look at me, my posts are so provocative ... he must lead such an interesting life
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Cousins was better last season, moving forward - against weak opposition. Now, he passes to the stand on the west side.

We might do well in the lower division - by-passed by Gillingham, note. Except that we will scrabble out of relegation by three points - and you and the manager will hail it is a victory. That's in the same way you think Joe Piggott is a great striker, and Callum Harriott is played out of position at Colchester.

You have low horizons. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't scoot through this division. We have a fabulously wealthy owner. Yet, we have hapless players, an ignorant manager, and supine supporters...

• Options

and supine supporters...

What have you done then?
  • Options
    This is a discussion thread; what I think is the frustration is the tendency for it to become a polemic. I would rather it remain a discussion respectful of ALL opinion and actually whilst being happily persuaded to get into the protest I can still see fans' irritation and resentment at a touch of mawkishness. What I would like to see is the enthusiasm the protest has begun not the sentimentalism it can lead to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'Supine'
    Polemic '

gets more like a spanner forum every day.
  • Options

'Supine'
    Polemic '

gets more like a spanner forum every day.

I'll take your Polemic and raise you a Facile.
  • Options
    Supine = winter soup tasting of Christmas trees

Polemic = Polish worker of Irish decent

• Options
    edited December 2015

Cousins was better last season, moving forward - against weak opposition. Now, he passes to the stand on the west side.

We might do well in the lower division - by-passed by Gillingham, note. Except that we will scrabble out of relegation by three points - and you and the manager will hail it is a victory. That's in the same way you think Joe Piggott is a great striker, and Callum Harriott is played out of position at Colchester.

You have low horizons. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't scoot through this division. We have a fabulously wealthy owner. Yet, we have hapless players, an ignorant manager, and supine supporters...

Isn't this exactly what you are doing in your idyllic re-remembering to the play-off vs Leeds? You do recall that game was us staying up in extra time of the last game of the season which was only being played because we had failed to get the job done over 2 previous legs against a team from the division below us?

No doubt if we'd done that last season you'd be on here doing some of your flowery moaning about Leeds running rings around us or some other such clap-trap.

Personally, although I was only 4 when it happened so have had to relive the night through VHS and the stories of my Old Man (who was there), I think St Andrews was a great night in the club's history. However, unlike you, I also reckon that Tuesday night vs Watford 18 months ago was another cracking way to spend an evening but that's because I don't automatically think that anything that happened 30 years ago must be better than anything that happened last Wednesday.
  • Options

Isn't this exactly what you are doing in your idyllic re-remembering to the play-off vs Leeds? You do recall that game was us staying up in extra time of the last game of the season which was only being played because we had failed to get the job done over 2 previous legs against a team from the division below us?

No doubt if we'd done that last season you'd be on here doing some of your flowering moaning about Leeds running rings around us or some other such clap-trap.

Personally, although I was only 4 when it happened so have had to relive the night through VHS and the stories of my Old Man (who was there), I think St Andrews was a great night in the club's history. However, unlike you, I also reckon that Tuesday night vs Watford 18 months ago was another cracking way to spend an evening but that's because I don't automatically think that anything that happened 30 years ago must be better than anything that happened last Wednesday.
    You are so right the Watford game was a cracking night and this is what the owner and CEO should have built on and not be in the same/worse position 18 months later
  • Options
    edited December 2015

No doubt if we'd done that last season you'd be on here doing some of your flowering moaning about Leeds running rings around us or some other such clap-trap.

That's a bit of a strange argument because Leeds were obviously a much bigger club than Charlton in 1987, as reflected in the fact they had about ten times as many supporters present at Birmingham. In the circumstances of playing at Selhurst it was a huge achievement for Charlton to have won promotion and then made the play-offs - you can't reinvent that as a humiliation in failing to beat Leeds over the first two games.

In addition, I've enjoyed many second-tier survival escapes since the first one in 1970 but staying in the second tier will never be the same achievement as staying in the top flight. We should expect the former. I don't think that the fact one is ancient history and the other more recent invalidates the case that beating Leeds was a far bigger event.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

You are so right the Watford game was a cracking night and this is what the owner and CEO should have built on and not be in the same/worse position 18 months later
    And to an extent they did - don't forget we started that season on an unbeaten run and we were all glowing with praise for this hidden gem we'd signed from Denmark. Igor got injured though and Bob lost the plot, but when Luzon came in they gave him some backing with Watt, Diarra, Johnson and Eagles and suddenly we were had outside hopes of making the playoffs with half a dozen games to go. The decision to ditch Riga didn't make sense then and it makes even less now, but overall, we didn't do too badly last season and improved on the one before - a modest but reasonable aim.

This summer we retained the manager that did well last season (avoided that mistake again) but instead ditched some players who had been important in that upturn in form (Bulot being the most inexplicable of all).

I think where they have really lost a lot of us was actually this season, not last. The absence of Championship experience in the summer signings, the refusal to bring in a loan or two (despite the clear indication last year of the difference Johnson and Eagles made) when Luzon was forced to play 12 year olds out of position due to injuries and then firing Luzon and bringing in a geography teacher who coaches the school team on a Tuesday after school.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

That's a bit of a strange argument because Leeds were obviously a much bigger club than Charlton in 1987, as reflected in the fact they had about ten times as many supporters present at Birmingham. In the circumstances of playing at Selhurst it was a huge achievement for Charlton to have won promotion and then made the play-offs - you can't reinvent that as a humiliation in failing to beat Leeds over the first two games.

In addition, I've enjoyed many second-tier survival escapes since the first one in 1970 but staying in the second tier will never be the same achievement as staying in the top flight. We should expect the former. I don't think that the fact one is ancient history and the other more recent invalidates the case that beating Leeds was a far bigger event.
    I'm in total agreement, I was just picking holes in Viewfinder's logic, not looking to be little that night in 87.
  • Options

and supine supporters...

What have you done then?
    @Viewfinder

Nothing?

Despite being dismissed and belittled as part of a group of "children", I do know what "supine" means.

Please tell me what you have specifically done that makes you different to that?
  • Options

No doubt if we'd done that last season you'd be on here doing some of your flowery moaning about Leeds running rings around us or some other such clap-trap.

I was there in 87.

That was the most important result(on the pitch) in our history, no doubt about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great post, Red.

Great minds think alike !

:smile:
  • Options

Supine = winter soup tasting of Christmas trees

Polemic = Polish worker of Irish decent

Thanks for that, saved me Googling it ;)
  • Options

Great post, Red.

Great minds think alike !

:smile:

Thanks @FannyFanackapan. I'm passionate that this guy needs to understand what he is doing is failing, but being so far away makes it difficult. I'm hoping to come down for the Leeds game......I may just save my time and money, but that'll hardly hurt him. I could stop doing the match thread, all that hurts are the CL community, so I wont be doing that, but I feel that the excellent campaigns being delivered and supported by those in SE7 and surrounding areas may just make him sit up and take notice.....god willing!!
  • Options
    Great read AFKAbartram. I identify with you completely. I won't feel the same again until CAFC is run as a football club and not the mysterious and alien business that has replaced it at my second home, The Valley.
  • Options
    I thought i'd got a response from Katrien when i found this in my email junk

From: teampinokkio@cmww.nl -The only erection pills that retrieve men’s strength to succumb her‏
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I've amended that... anyway twas a great article.

• Options
    Reminds that the museum doesn't have a good condition 2% flyer.

If anyone has one please let us know.
  • Options

Apologies upfront for the perceived self-indulgence, but with things hopefully coming to an end soon I thought it would be good to remind myself why I was so dissatisfied and what drove me to starting engaging / assist in organising protests in the first please.

So I found this article that I wrote in 2015 after the first 'in ground protest' and I've found it quite reassuring personally to read back now what I was saying and what I was feeling at the time, and have the sense that I'm still comfortable with that a few years on (and pleased that I got involved).

Wonder if others resonate in a similar way?

I agree with you. Very self indulgent ;0)