Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Why I Tried to Give you a Leaflet (Nov 2015)

Comments

• Options
    rikofold said:

Thanks for that Dan - speaks for me, as I find it so hard to articulate what I'm feeling. I walked away from Saturday's game lacking the anger or disappointment of years gone by at a poor defeat. In its place was indifference, and I wondered why I bother with it all.

I've been going to the Valley since the 70s, and I went to Selhurst Park and Upton Park. I was there at the triumphs of the return to the Valley and the Play Off final, and through 3 relegations. I was part of the sub-1000 Full-Members crowds, and watched us lose to a puddle in the final. I've been to Bury to watch a midweek 0-0, I've travelled all round the country to support our red-shirted men (well, a variety of increasingly bizarre coloured shirts) more in hope than expectation for much of it. I watched us grow as a club throughout the 90s and 2000s, and was proud that even on relegation to League One and some awful awful days we could still command a crowd and humour. In recent years I've got more involved in trying to make a difference through the Supporters Trust and Valley Gold.

More in hope than expectation. I think that's what's summed up my time supporting Charlton - it was never about expectation, always about hope. The reason the 90s/2000s were so enjoyable was because we didn't expect those years, but we knew the people running the club cared enough to build it slowly over the long term and crucially to take us with them, to make us part of the journey. It worked.

The hope is a dying ember for me. Our club is in the hands of people who think they know best, without for a second stopping to listen to those who have been the lifeblood of the club over several decades. I do hope that by finally agreeing to take the time to talk to supporters, Katrien intends to listen, to learn, to understand, to change and to influence change. I want to believe it's all been genuine mistakes rather than willful neglect - but many more indifferent walks away from the ground and I fear I'll be past caring.

Great piece as ever Dan, and a really important one I think.

Blimey, I could have written that. Identical in every way, including Bury away midweek.
  • Options
    You and your two accounts...
  • Options
    Very good post and its how we all feel, but what are we going to do about it?

It wont be long before the fans lose their rag and go mental and try and intimidate them out the club by showing a bit of aggression. In my opinion I think that's the only thing that may work. She was clearly rattled when she received abuse for taking a picture of the protesters and laughing at them.

Can I just point out this is what I think will happen and not suggesting it.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Thanks for that Dan - speaks for me, as I find it so hard to articulate what I'm feeling. I walked away from Saturday's game lacking the anger or disappointment of years gone by at a poor defeat. In its place was indifference, and I wondered why I bother with it all.

I've been going to the Valley since the 70s, and I went to Selhurst Park and Upton Park. I was there at the triumphs of the return to the Valley and the Play Off final, and through 3 relegations. I was part of the sub-1000 Full-Members crowds, and watched us lose to a puddle in the final. I've been to Bury to watch a midweek 0-0, I've travelled all round the country to support our red-shirted men (well, a variety of increasingly bizarre coloured shirts) more in hope than expectation for much of it. I watched us grow as a club throughout the 90s and 2000s, and was proud that even on relegation to League One and some awful awful days we could still command a crowd and humour. In recent years I've got more involved in trying to make a difference through the Supporters Trust and Valley Gold.

More in hope than expectation. I think that's what's summed up my time supporting Charlton - it was never about expectation, always about hope. The reason the 90s/2000s were so enjoyable was because we didn't expect those years, but we knew the people running the club cared enough to build it slowly over the long term and crucially to take us with them, to make us part of the journey. It worked.

The hope is a dying ember for me. Our club is in the hands of people who think they know best, without for a second stopping to listen to those who have been the lifeblood of the club over several decades. I do hope that by finally agreeing to take the time to talk to supporters, Katrien intends to listen, to learn, to understand, to change and to influence change. I want to believe it's all been genuine mistakes rather than willful neglect - but many more indifferent walks away from the ground and I fear I'll be past caring.

Well said @rikofold but it's very worrying when a leading figure in CAST who is closer to KM than most of us (at least in terms of contact) feels so despondent. Next time you see her, read her AFKAs post and some of the responses (including your own). If you ever see Richard Murray, do the same - I think he would "get it" and, as non-executive Chairman one would hope he would be able to at least talk with the owner about the depth of feeling amongst so many fans.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

rikofold said:

Well said @rikofold but it's very worrying when a leading figure in CAST who is closer to KM than most of us (at least in terms of contact) feels so despondent. Next time you see her, read her AFKAs post and some of the responses (including your own). If you ever see Richard Murray, do the same - I think he would "get it" and, as non-executive Chairman one would hope he would be able to at least talk with the owner about the depth of feeling amongst so many fans.
    I'm just being honest. Like I say, I do hope she's beginning to listen and understand - there's a great opportunity to effect change with the strategic group, Target 20k, revamped fans' forum. It's just that we've had 3 managers in a row now who have demonstrated some ability to set a side up but a complete lack of insight into tactical change needed during a game. The Ipswich game epitomised that - their players and particularly their manager was just too knowledgeable for ours, and the problem is that we don't have enough points in the bag to be able to get away with that for the rest of the year.

There's only so many times you can say, stop underestimating one of the most competitive leagues in the world. We all know we need a coach (manager preferably) with enough experience to get the most from the squad, and with the influence to be able to put a squad together - no issue with that being within a framework and budget, all managers have to work to that.

To be fair to RD and KM though, they're not the only reason I'm beginning to lose heart. I have to say there are elements of our support these days that leave me open-mouthed. The Palace nonsense, the sexist/xenophobic/racist stuff, that Facebook page. I'm sure my own circumstances are influential too - I'm not as young as I was, I have a family, etc.
  • Options
    Reading AFKA's piece and the fact that it resonates with so many of us, is so sad. The fact that so many, who have the club as a major part of their lives are now being alienated from it and in some respects the worse of being reduced to indifference to it, and all because of less than two years of a weird experiment.
  • Options
    @rikofold what are the Trust doing to pursue the new communication?

Its all gone quiet, if the group wants members and non members to keep faith it needs to communicate that. I know everyone has day jobs, and sometimes communication needs to be carefully handled; and I of course am not trying to give the Trust a hard time, but this is not the time to be quiet in my view.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    razil said:

@rikofold what are the Trust doing to pursue the new communication?

Its all gone quiet, if the group wants members and non members to keep faith it needs to communicate that. I know everyone has day jobs, and sometimes communication needs to be carefully handled; and I of course am not trying to give the Trust a hard time, but this is not the time to be quiet in my view.

When there's something to announce it will be on our website and linked here, as always.

I do understand why there may be some impatience, but seriously - it's been less than 2 weeks since we and the club announced we will be starting a dialogue. It's hardly "all gone quiet", but equally we've worked hard all year on this and avoiding trumpeting it is a big factor in why we've progressed to where we have. I don't want to disappoint anyone but I wouldn't expect a running commentary from us any time soon. When there's stuff to communicate, it will be communicated.

EDIT: From our announcement on 18 November: "We think the ... plan is a start. It now needs action and we are committed to engage in this process, making sure we communicate regularly along the way."
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    OK another question, are the Trust committed to persuading the club to adhere to the Club charter and what are they doing about that?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-katrien-meire-2806891.aspx

its been a few weeks, so we should expect something shortly now?
  • Options
    Smudge, so eloquently put and sums up my feelings as well. Shame to see so many empty seats on Saturday. Sadly, seems that is how a growing number of fans are choosing to protest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree word-for-word Dan and why I also handed out leaflets. I believe the protest will continue and will gather momentum because our squad is too weak and we have poor management and even the rose-tinted glasses brigade will lose patience when the trap-door opens. The only question for me is, will Duchatelet do something about it before it's too late? He has shown remarkable patience with his CEO given his complete lack of it with his First Team Coaches. I also wonder if League One wouldn't suit him better than the Championship? Going down might make a mockery of the hastily drafted plan of "Competitive Championship side with Premier League ambitions" but it would enable him to lower his debt gearing and focus on developing players he can sell for profit. Whatever happens, I can't believe he's in it for the long-haul following the failure of FFP and the sale of Standard Liege.
  • Options
    razil said:

OK another question, are the Trust committed to persuading the club to adhere to the Club charter and what are they doing about that?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-katrien-meire-2806891.aspx

its been a few weeks, so we should expect something shortly now?

The club charter is important, but it wasn't the current regime that committed to it and to be frank I'm not convinced it would be supporters' highest priority right now. That's not to say it's not on the to do list, but it's been less than 2 weeks (not "a few weeks") so please give us the time and space to put things together. We've said the club needs to demonstrate good faith in terms of change, but a lasting outcome will always be more important than false deadlines. It's not as if we'll be working against the interests of supporters now is it.

• Options
    The charter is renewed every season and in any case the club dirsn't have a free hand. It has to comply with league requirements.
  • Options

The charter is renewed every season and in any case the club dirsn't have a free hand. It has to comply with league requirements.

Who's responsible for the charter within the club?

The CEO would have ultimate responsibility like in any organisation but day to day would it be Tony Keone, the Operations and stadium manager?
  • Options
    Great piece of writing and sums up my feelings exactly. Also love to get to the Valley early on match days and see things develop, while munching my fish'n' chips.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Davo55 said:

rikofold said:

I'm just being honest. Like I say, I do hope she's beginning to listen and understand - there's a great opportunity to effect change with the strategic group, Target 20k, revamped fans' forum. It's just that we've had 3 managers in a row now who have demonstrated some ability to set a side up but a complete lack of insight into tactical change needed during a game. The Ipswich game epitomised that - their players and particularly their manager was just too knowledgeable for ours, and the problem is that we don't have enough points in the bag to be able to get away with that for the rest of the year.

There's only so many times you can say, stop underestimating one of the most competitive leagues in the world. We all know we need a coach (manager preferably) with enough experience to get the most from the squad, and with the influence to be able to put a squad together - no issue with that being within a framework and budget, all managers have to work to that.

To be fair to RD and KM though, they're not the only reason I'm beginning to lose heart. I have to say there are elements of our support these days that leave me open-mouthed. The Palace nonsense, the sexist/xenophobic/racist stuff, that Facebook page. I'm sure my own circumstances are influential too - I'm not as young as I was, I have a family, etc.
    Fair enough mate. Keep strong. It worries me when people like you, who get off their arses to represent the rest of us, start losing the will.
  • Options

I stand corrected. I note that the version signed by Tony Keohane in May commits to responses to all complaints ("Any expression of dissatisfaction, whether justified or otherwise...") within 48 hours (acknowledgement) with a full investigation within 2 weeks.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

I stand corrected. I note that the version signed by Tony Keohane in May commits to responses to all complaints ("Any expression of dissatisfaction, whether justified or otherwise...") within 48 hours (acknowledgement) with a full investigation within 2 weeks.
    So it is Tony Keohane we need to ask about why this part of the charter isn't being met and why there is no list of senior staff with contact details on the website or programme.
  • Options
    Can we also ask why the SLO is acting? Is he waiting to be the next first team coach?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good articulate piece AFKA. I was too sad to respond last night, but I have to say that much of the last decade has been an absolute tragedy for all who care about Charlton Athletic, punctuated only by a brief period of hope (and the 100+ point season) under Powell. The trajectory of awfulness has picked up alarming speed under the current ownership but it really doesn't have to be that way as it defies both business and football logic. So so frustrating.
  • Options

Well put and sadly on the money
    I took the " easier" option of spending time with my kids, although I watched the game on telly with my sons , whose interest soon disappeared and we made an earlier than expected visit to poxy Bluewater
    I wrote a couple of emails to people yesterday at Charlton explaining the reasons why I'm not gonna be involved in match sponsorship or my sons being mascots further down the season as we had earlier indicated and previously done in the past
    I cc'd the CEO in on it , will she read it , will she care , who knows but the joke of a club we have become is linked firmly to this regime because even in previous worse footballing times it never felt anywhere near this bad or sad

If people like yourself take this action, then she will have to take notice when the money is not coming into the club.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I took the " easier" option of spending time with my kids, although I watched the game on telly with my sons , whose interest soon disappeared and we made an earlier than expected visit to poxy Bluewater
    I wrote a couple of emails to people yesterday at Charlton explaining the reasons why I'm not gonna be involved in match sponsorship or my sons being mascots further down the season as we had earlier indicated and previously done in the past
    I cc'd the CEO in on it , will she read it , will she care , who knows but the joke of a club we have become is linked firmly to this regime because even in previous worse footballing times it never felt anywhere near this bad or sad

If people like yourself take this action, then she will have to take notice when the money is not coming into the club.
    I hope to be proved wrong but I doubt he'll even get a response from the CEO. Why should he, he's only a fan?
  • Options

shirty5 said:

I hope to be proved wrong but I doubt he'll even get a response from the CEO. Why should he, he's only a fan?
    Then report the club to the Football League for Not following its own club charter.
  • Options
    Well written, sir
  • Options

Well written, sir

• Options
    shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

Then report the club to the Football League for Not following its own club charter.
    Immediate response and acknowledgement from Ravi and nothing from mascot person or CEO
  • Options
    It could be worse. Leeds fans were literally fighting amongst themselves in the stand and on the underground this weekend over whether it was acceptable to criticise the players.