Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vote for the new New Zealand flag

Comments

• Options
    Surely the laws of heraldry dictate that the flag should incorporate a "camper van couchant"?
  • Options
    That new flag is very striking. Will become one of the worlds most recognisable emblems.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Apparently we have a winner ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35059898

what a piece of rubbish .. I wouldn't use it to wash my car .. and not even a semblance of British heritage .. NZers, be they of European, South Seas or Maori heritage need to remember which nation gave them their laws, stability and the majority of their 21st century culture, and its a blow as far as I am concerned to all the relatives of the thousands of brave Kiwis who fought and died for Britain in two world wars .. this flag I repeat is a piece of commercial dross
  • Options
    It's not the new flag yet.

It goes into a vote with the existing flag to see which one is used in the future.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    And if it does get changed John Key's name will be in the History Books forever as the man who changed the New Zealand flag... Which is of course is all I'm sure he cares about
  • Options

And if it does get changed John Key's name will be in the History Books forever as the man who gave New Zealand their own flag... Which is of course is all I'm sure he cares about

They've got their own flag now. It's just a different flag.
  • Options

And if it does get changed John Key's name will be in the History Books forever as the man who gave New Zealand their own flag... Which is of course is all I'm sure he cares about

They've got their own flag now. It's just a different flag.
    Good point... Have amended my post
  • Options
    Why wasn't the "subgegated Kiwi laying prostrate under the hated English oppressors heel" one chosen?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

The New Zealand flag is fine as it is. It perfectly encapsulates the kiwis.

It's basically the Australian one, but less good. Just like New Zealand.

Which is one reason they want to change it
  • Options

Personally think the possible new flag is much nicer then the current one, just surprised how many British people I have seen online being so agitated by this potentially happening, not sure how I am going break the news about India.............

And when people find out this flag isn't being used any more they will moan about that country too for rejecting the nation that "gave them their laws, stability and the majority of their 21st century culture"

Can you guess who it is? : - )

• Options

Apparently we have a winner ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35059898

what a piece of rubbish .. I wouldn't use it to wash my car .. and not even a semblance of British heritage .. NZers, be they of European, South Seas or Maori heritage need to remember which nation gave them their laws, stability and the majority of their 21st century culture, and its a blow as far as I am concerned to all the relatives of the thousands of brave Kiwis who fought and died for Britain in two world wars .. this flag I repeat is a piece of commercial dross
    It has the Union Jack colours. Your post is completely insane besides this, obviously
  • Options

And when people find out this flag isn't being used any more they will moan about that country too for rejecting the nation that "gave them their laws, stability and the majority of their 21st century culture"

Canada?
  • Options

The New Zealand flag is fine as it is. It perfectly encapsulates the kiwis.

It's basically the Australian one, but less good. Just like New Zealand.

can you please explain that last comment?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Daddy_Pig said:

Canada?
    If it's Fiji and not Canada .. and anyone equating Fiji with New Zealand is just showing what a tenuous grasp they have on actuality, or rather they are basing an argument on a little knowledge of the situation, and a little knowledge in this, as in many cases, is a bad thing ..
    Fiji NEVER had a huge influx of British settlers as did New Zealand, never imbibed British culture and way of life as did New Zealand .. I don't blame Fiji for changing it's flag, so reminiscent of the 'Red Duster' used by the British merchant marine, and of course Fiji has undergone suspension from the Commonwealth in the past, so perhaps the Fijian people, many of whom serve with distinction in the UK armed forces, think it's time to cut the ties with the flag.
    I maintain that it's a pity that New Zealand with its long really British traditions (I have been there and it is (perhaps was) VERY British culturally) has chosen such a god awful flag to possibly replace the existing one.
  • Options
    the kiwi shooting laser beams out of it's eyes should've won.
  • Options

Daddy_Pig said:

Canada?
    If it's Fiji .. and anyone equating Fiji with New Zealand is just showing what a tenuous grasp they have on actuality, or rather they are basing an argument on a little knowledge of the situation, and a little knowledge in this, as in many cases, is a bad thing ..
    Fiji NEVER had a huge influx of British settlers as did New Zealand, never imbibed British culture and way of life as did New Zealand .. I don't blame Fiji for changing it's flag, so reminiscent of the 'Red Duster' used by the British merchant marine, and of course Fiji has undergone suspension from the Commonwealth in the past, so perhaps the Fijian people, many of whom serve with distinction in the UK armed forces, think it's time to cut the ties with the flag.
    I maintain that it's a pity that New Zealand with its long really British traditions (I have been there and it is (perhaps was) VERY British culturally) has chosen such a god awful flag to possibly replace the existing one.
    Er... No. It's Canada. (See the post above yours or, if you still don't believe me, this page from the Canadian Heritage website on the history of Canadian flags:)

Canadian flags

:smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015

Daddy_Pig said:

Canada?
    If it's Fiji .. and anyone equating Fiji with New Zealand is just showing what a tenuous grasp they have on actuality, or rather they are basing an argument on a little knowledge of the situation, and a little knowledge in this, as in many cases, is a bad thing ..
    Er... No. It's Canada. (See the post above yours or, if you still don't believe me, this page from the Canadian Heritage website on the history of Canadian flags:)

Canadian flags

no I believe you .. the Fiji flag, which is being changed, is very similar to the old Canadian one .. and Canada (I have been there as well) is not nearly so British as NZ, huge American influence and of course for the French Canadians, the Union Flag version was as popular as herpes .. EDIT In fact the RED version of the Fiji flag is only used by the marine .. SO .. 80% of my previous post is a load of old bollox ((:<) .. still the fact remains that the mooted NZ national flag is rubbish
  • Options
    Is there a flag with Frodo and Gandalf on?
  • Options
    Only 80%? Welcome to the Katrien school of percentages
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Daddy_Pig said:

Canada?

Canadian flags

no I believe you .. the Fiji flag, which is being changed, is very similar to the old Canadian one .. and Canada (I have been there as well) is not nearly so British as NZ, huge American influence and of course for the French Canadians, the Union Flag version was as popular as herpes .. EDIT In fact the RED version of the Fiji flag is only used by the marine .. SO .. 80% of my previous post is a load of old bollox ((:<) .. still the fact remains that the mooted NZ national flag is rubbish</p>
    No Lincs, that's not a fact, it's an opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    anyone equating Canada with New Zealand is just showing what a tenuous grasp they have on actuality, or rather they are basing an argument on a little knowledge of the situation, and a little knowledge in this, as in many cases, is a bad thing ..
    Canada NEVER had such a huge, overwhelming influx of British settlers as did New Zealand, never imbibed British culture and way of life as did New Zealand. Canada, like the USA experienced mass immigration from all over Europe as New Zealand in the early days did not .. I don't blame Canada for changing it's flag, so reminiscent of the 'Red Duster' used by the British merchant marine. Canada (I have been there as well as to New Zealand) is not nearly so British as NZ, huge American influence and of course for the French Canadians, the Union Flag version was as popular as herpes ..
    Of course a know all curator of a small speciality museum who has travelled the world and visited both New Zealand and Canada, enjoying and experiencing their respective cultures and way of life is entitled to a different opinion to me, even though that opinion seems to be prejudiced by a disdain for what I would term 'British culture and way of life'. Even a curator who as a self appointed arbiter of good manners, language and taste who is quick to chastise those whom he deems to be sexist, racist or even slightly non pc .. even such a curator who on a recent post was noticeably quiet when the female CAFC CEO was referred to several times as 'a bitch', even so timid and selective a curator, scared to fall out with his cronies, is entitled to his warped opinion.

EDIT Bold (not timid) Henry .. is a horse running at Cheltenham today .. The Racing Post opines 'could go well after a long lay off' .. we will see ((:>)
  • Options

anyone equating Canada with New Zealand is just showing what a tenuous grasp they have on actuality, or rather they are basing an argument on a little knowledge of the situation, and a little knowledge in this, as in many cases, is a bad thing ..
    Canada NEVER had such a huge, overwhelming influx of British settlers as did New Zealand, never imbibed British culture and way of life as did New Zealand. Canada, like the USA experienced mass immigration from all over Europe as New Zealand in the early days did not .. I don't blame Canada for changing it's flag, so reminiscent of the 'Red Duster' used by the British merchant marine. Canada (I have been there as well as to New Zealand) is not nearly so British as NZ, huge American influence and of course for the French Canadians, the Union Flag version was as popular as herpes ..
    Of course a know all curator of a small speciality museum who has travelled the world and visited both New Zealand and Canada, enjoying and experiencing their respective cultures and way of life is entitled to a different opinion to me, even though that opinion seems to be prejudiced by a disdain for what I would term 'British culture and way of life'. Even a curator who as a self appointed arbiter of good manners, language and taste who is quick to chastise those whom he deems to be sexist, racist or even slightly non pc .. even such a curator who on a recent post was noticeably quiet when the female CAFC CEO was referred to several times as 'a bitch', even so timid and selective a curator, scared to fall out with his cronies, is entitled to his warped opinion.

EDIT Bold (not timid) Henry .. is a horse running at Cheltenham today .. The Racing Post opines 'could go well after a long lay off' .. we will see ((:>)

Well if they vote for the Union flag, all will be good.

If they vote for the new one, all will be good.
  • Options
    Stig said:

It's their country, they can choose whatever flag they like. I fail to understand why anyone would get in a tizzy about it.

Well if they vote for the Union flag, all will be good.

If they vote for the new one, all will be good
    true and true .. but what a shocker of a choice .. I would have thought that good old Brits abroad would have had better taste, but having spent some time on the Costa Brava and Ibiza, praps not ((:>) .. It looks like the banner of a second rate golf club in Alabama .. anyway .. they won the RU world cup so all can't be bad