Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UFC 193 (Rousey V Holm)

13»

Comments

• Tbf McG did change his "prediction" a few times in the lead up but it is quite strange his ability to keep getting these things bang on.

This is an interesting video too:
    dailymotion.com/video/x3i3ud1
  • Those that watched the Weidman-Rockhold fight, that made for some uncomfortable viewing. Man was beaten to a bloody pulp. That's why MMA will never be a mainstream sport.

Only a matter of time before somebody's skull shatters and is left in a vegetative state and the rules will change very quickly. I do love this sport though and just think in the old days of MMA cage fighting, you were allowed to head butt!
  • Jayajosh said:

Those that watched the Weidman-Rockhold fight, that made for some uncomfortable viewing. Man was beaten to a bloody pulp. That's why MMA will never be a mainstream sport.

Only a matter of time before somebody's skull shatters and is left in a vegetative state and the rules will change very quickly. I do love this sport though and just think in the old days of MMA cage fighting, you were allowed to head butt!
    It was originally no rules fighting which was great. But spinal injuries to the wrestling side of things (guys dropping elbows into the top of the spinal column) made elbow strikes to the spine illegal, they outlawed groin strikes as well. So it is evolving slowly.
    Great to see Conor, who has a Traditional Martial Arts background do well, a lot of the fighters are just trained in UFC rules fighting, they used to call it Submission, so are limited when someone like McGregor comes along.
    I love it because its the nearest you can get to a real fight, utilising hand and foot and elbow strikes, with throws and joint locks.
  • Greenie said:

Jayajosh said:

Those that watched the Weidman-Rockhold fight, that made for some uncomfortable viewing. Man was beaten to a bloody pulp. That's why MMA will never be a mainstream sport.

It was originally no rules fighting which was great. But spinal injuries to the wrestling side of things (guys dropping elbows into the top of the spinal column) made elbow strikes to the spine illegal, they outlawed groin strikes as well. So it is evolving slowly.
    Great to see Conor, who has a Traditional Martial Arts background do well, a lot of the fighters are just trained in UFC rules fighting, they used to call it Submission, so are limited when someone like McGregor comes along.
    Where did you hear that? I read that he doesn't have a martial arts background, he had a boxing background and learnt grappling at an mma gym.
  • I thought he started boxing when he was 16 or something but kept going off to other gyms to learn wrestling and jiu jitsu?
  • Chunes said:

Greenie said:

Jayajosh said:

Where did you hear that? I read that he doesn't have a martial arts background, he had a boxing background and learnt grappling at an mma gym.
    Here, his thinking is very Martial Arts based, continual growth and change for instance.

http://martialarts.about.com/od/mmabiosiq/fl/Biography-and-Profile-of-Conor-McGregor.htm