Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thoughts of Rodney Charlton Trotter (literally)

edited November 2015 in General Charlton

So the dust settles leaving the same anti climatic feeling endured in the dawn following a general election, an England World Cup campaign or a Charlton takeover.
Even if the answers would not be forthcoming seemingly, at first glance, the potential was there to ask the questions.
Ok, it wasn’t ever going to the Nuremberg trials but it also it wasn’t intended (from the fans’ perspective) to be a cosy get together in the vein of Bromley Addicks or POTY.
The Board had different ideas and Johnnie Jackson’s presence at the head table signalled this from the off.
A truly confident and capable CEO would neither require, nor perhaps more tellingly, want the assistance of others in such a forum and certainly not playing staff who as we have seen in modern football are as interchangeable and relevant to the long term strategy of a club as the choice of third kit.
But then a truly confident and capable CEO would be accountable to both shareholders and stakeholders, namely “customers”, understanding that by disserving the latter ultimately disserves the former in the long run. Had this been the case the necessity for last night’s rendez- vous would have been redundant.
That is not to do a disservice to Jackson. He is by far my favourite player of a generation, the epitome of what I consider the cliché “Proper Charlton”. From what I see of him on and off the pitch in the media he comes across as a top man whose eloquence and charisma surely indicate future success in the game once his boots have been firmly hung up.
Whilst perhaps not entirely altruistic, with a playing career entering its swansong he will be aware of coaching opportunities at the club he appears to love as evidenced with Euell’s appointments to date, but to give up a Tuesday evening to facilitate questions from a disgruntled audience commands respect.
It still begs the question as to why he was there in any capacity. Was this to bridge the gap between the executive board and the fans? We were told many many months ago this would be Richard Murray’s role.
Regardless, Jackson’s comments are rendered irrelevant. Bar the foolhardy, very few footballers in the twilight of their playing career will publicly criticise the appointment of a new manager whom is giving him precious playing time nor endanger any future employment prospects at the club by openly condemning its leadership despite what their private thoughts may entail. Certainly not those who don’t enjoy the likes of Roy Keane’s wealth and therefore are not afforded the extent of free speech that level of financial security allows.
I deduct from this his appearance was perhaps to provoke a “Let’s not fight in front of the kids” mind-set amongst the carefully selected “random” audience.

Last night’s audience presented a problem but were also themselves presented with a conundrum. The majority of invited attendees appear to hold positions whether it is CAST, Valley Express or satellite Supporters’ groups which all require cordial ongoing working relationships of various degrees with the club’s leadership, whoever that existing leadership may be at the time and regardless of what one’s personal feelings may be about that leadership. This presented a challenge in adequately communicating the sense of dissatisfaction that had warranted the meeting’s occurrence and obtaining satisfactory answers through rigorous inquisition whilst maintaining a level of diplomacy so as not to burn already shaky bridges or those had yet to be built.
The club recognised this and knew there was never any danger of a truly robust interogation or relentless uncomfortable questioning for the fear of jeopardising any future access or accord.
I’m loathe to criticise those in attendance who probably all care about the club more than I ever will hence their involvement in such groups despite me being a devoted supporter of 25 + years. Those in attendance last night and those that take the time and effort to volunatarily lobby for change on behalf of supporters whether as part of the Trust or less formal groups are the ones out there trying to improve things for the club and, one would hope, fan base as a whole. So it is easy to glibly critique their efforts sat on my laptop in my tracksuit bottoms when I haven’t even mustered the enthusiasm to attend a game for motnhs and felt too apathetic myself to attend in person the protest on satruday, instead opting to fully support it from afar. Hypocrityical perhaps but such is my general apathy at what the club has become in my eyes particularly in the past year.

I like to think had I been there I would have bucked the trend and stood up succinctly ranting at Murray and KM to cut talking bollox and sort things out before storming out to rapturous applause and igniting a revolution that would turn the club around in utopian harmony between fan and club. However it is easy to be brave and outwardly enraged behind a keyboard particularly when I don’t have any stake in any club- affiliated groups reliant on input from its leadership regardless of how meagre that may be. It is entirely different to do it face to face when we are increasingly programmed to avoid conflict at all costs and it takes a lot to be the one to be disharmonious especially when fear the repercussions damaging fledgling relations which are apparently already frayed.
However there are many individuals in our fan base who would have happily and confidently stepped up to the plate in that fashion but of course they were never going to be invited in the first place.
If the higher echelons of the club had genuine intentions of resolving the current malaise increasingly evident in SE7 then the invitation would have been extended to the most vociferous and dissenting among the ranks of the Charlton faithful. Not rigged in a manner that would make Putin blush with a relatively safe and tame audience.
They could have even been really constructive and courageous and invited individuals who stood out under the grey skies to express their dissent on Saturday 2.30pm, the same individuals who by association with a minority within the protest were apparently flippantly dismissed by Katrien Meire last night as abusers and not a reflection of the fans.
Instead the club opted for safe bets and an audience largely consisting of truly decent people who would be potentially compromised in future due to connections to club- affiliated groups and a Trust still trying to get a foothold in the door that has been closed to them since day one. Therefore it was unlikely that last night would be the warts n all grilling many of us had hoped for. The makeup of the attendees engendered this would not be the case last night.
At least we can be grateful I suppose that the Board didn’t proceed with its hailed youth promotion policy and fill the audience entirely with keen teenage supporters as with previous episodes when the young lad was drafted in for crisis talks on behalf of the CAFC fan base around the time of the Woolwich meeting.
Why were journalists invited by the club to attend but not invited to ask questions? Their lack of emotional involvement and unashamedly direct questioning ability would have surely got to the root of the issues in a more efficient manner than the emotionally attached attendees seeking to build better relations with a detached ownership. And why was recent vocal champion of Charlton supporters Richard Cawley not in attendance, instead his paper being represented with arguably extensively pro- Board tweeting from colleague Toby Porter. Could this be because the message had already been determined? .....

Comments

• The irony is when people ask what is wrong at the club it is often difficult to articulate without sounding either completely ungrateful or illogical.
    On paper we have an owner who purports to put the long term financial stability of the club at the forefront which is refreshing in this instant gratification approach adopted by many rivals. Yet the stability and longevity is not reflected in the managerial mis- appointments and a lackadaisical approach to recruitment.
    The youth policy at first glance also appears attractive until the reality sinks in that we are not going to enjoy players like Scott Parker and Konchesky turning out to play for the shirt season after season before moving on but rather be sold on the minute they show promise in the manner of Poyet and Gomez.
    Whilst an apt fiscal model for a business we are a football club and thus entail the emotional element not apparent on a balance sheet. I don’t know many fans of any club that are inspired because net losses have been reduced by 6% in the same way 3 points against Millwall (ha!) fills you with joy.
    I don’t expect throw money at it boom or bust approach but as a supporter what has been played out since they arrived has failed beyond expectation.
    Talk of being ambitious for success is one thing but implementing the correct management and execution of strategy to achieve it is another. The owners and CEO are not football people and turgid season after turgid season along with novelty gimmicks such as sofas are not going to pack the stadium out or progress the club.
    I was initially supportive when they took over and after years of instability appreciated the ethos they espoused particularly after the Cash ran out with the previous mob.
    However I was never a fan of the network as for all of its supposed efficiencies it diluted the identity of the club and the tribalistic nature of football clubs.

I, along with pretty much everyone I have gone to the Valley with over the past 25 years have drifted away in the past season. It is down to far more than results on the pitch. These are the same people who would trek to the Valley come rains or shine on a cold Tuesday night for a 3rd division game having just been humiliatingly knocked out of the cup against Northwich Victoria.
    Something has changed about the feel of it all. The soul and tradition seems to have been eroded and replaced with “their vision” of how a club should be. It is not just disenfranchisement with the lack of perceived progress or resistance to change for the better…it is perhaps because we are nowhere near the club we were in so many ways and it feels they are continually chipping away at our identity.
    “Building a better future together” splashed on Big screen posters that would not be out of place in North Korea whilst at the same time being told it’s Roland’s way or nothing doesn’t quite tally.
    Respect to the posters and supporters who just shrug their shoulders and have no interest in the perceived general malaise at our club and state that it’s the way football is, it’s cyclical and just go and support the team etc. and perhaps they are right and the rest of us are over analysing it but it just doesn’t feel like Charlton at the moment to me and many others.
    Don't necessarily know what it is but something needs to change about the culture of the current regime to get the likes of me to return and I can’t see it happening under this lot.
    I hope I’m wrong but I believe nothing will change if we as a fan base continue in that vein of "dialogue". The dwindling crowds speak volumes. We have been in worse positions form, financial and league wise yet still not had the evident levels of indifference since Selhurst, other than the inevitable drop off of glory boys post Premiership relegation.
    It's the apathy that concerns me and when you extrapolate that across thousands of others who have stopped going I worry we could end up another Wimbledon. Social media has caused division, cynicism and disdain amongst our support as opposed to unity and that's why I don't think the Valley Party scenario would re occur in the same manner. Therefore it needs to change before it gets anywhere near that stage.
    The only way I see to engender true change is to completely boycott attendance at home games if you are truly unhappy with the running of the club.
    It is evidently not in our nature as a fan base to escalate meaningful protests to the extent other clubs do. I’m not debating the rights and wrongs of that but it concedes power and leverage as the board are confident that as a fan base we rightly or wrongly “won’t cross a line” and therefore they needn’t fret about an impending hike in insurance premiums at the Valley and continue to feed us empty platitudes such as last night to keep us docile.
    I cannot understand the mentality of those disgusted at the ownership but continuing going to games stating “I’ve paid for the ticket so I will use it” despite spending 50 hours a week venting spleens on message boards about it.
    The argument that the team will suffer without a roaring crowd doesnt stack up either. If playing in front of a big Charlton crowd made any real difference then we would never win any away games and our records in local derbies would be less than shambolic. Rest assured there are more pressing variables at play as to our team’s substandard performance such as an inadequate squad and unqualified and short term management.
    Forecasts will be made and budgeting put in place after xmas I would imagine for the following season’s revenue forecasts. Whilst bodies still appear on seats on match day the Board has carte blanche to continue as they wish safe in the knowledge us mug punters will be back for another season of disappointment so strong is the addiction.
    Personally I am staying away but that’s been an easy decision and one born out of apathy and other distractions. I am a hypocrite though myself because if we had a good cup run (ha!) and drew Man United or even Millwall in the 3rd round then I would probably go back with gay abandon. And therein lays the problem. The draw of the club and the deep love we have for it forces us to effectively enable its mismanagement as we can’t bear to be away for too long and not long enough to make a meaningful impact.
    Maybe RD is selling hence a reluctance to find a permanent manager which would involve a hefty payoff for any new owners wishing to bring in their man .

• Did you have a bottle of Plonk, Rodney ?
  • Sorry Rodders, you lost me at world cups and general elections ;-)
  • So to summarise ;

(1 ) KM is an untrustworthy witch and we should make it our aim to get her out.

(2) You want a total boycott of the Ipswich game.
  • A brilliant post.
  • What was the middle bit again?
  • Sponsored links:

• On the SLP point - Richard Cawley's on holiday, I think.
  • WOW !!!!!

Where have you been all my life, Rodney ?
  • respect Rodney ... terrific posting
  • Can someone give me a TL;DR please.
  • Didn't think you went anymore Rodders
  • Great post. Agree with everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fucking hell don't he go on
  • Only joking, top man is RCT.
  • Enjoyed reading that....no really I did
  • Who is "he"
  • Excellent Rodders.
  • He must have lots of GCE's
  • I might wait for the cliffs notes.
  • Wow that was a long read (for a forum post) but thoroughly enjoyable with some great points, well made.
  • AMC could make a series out if that........excellent post Rodders
  • I couldn't agree more with the paragraph regarding Jackson. What was he doing there?
    Not arguing in front of the children, was bang on the money.
    It was a discussion regarding how the club was run, the future and fan/club interaction.
    None of the above would have anything to do with a player.