Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Don't get fooled again

Amongst the unexpected joy of a very good performance and a much needed win yesterday, one thing troubled me - a lot. That is, the smattering of posts on several threads which either stated outright or implied that perhaps KM wasn't really all that bad with her nervous girly giggling, that KF deserved credit for the tactical and motivational expertise that drew such a good response from the players, that all could yet be well in the CAFC season.

That troubled me because it took me back to the meeting in Woolwich last winter, the anger and despair in that freezing room, the determination most of us felt to address the concerns that our club was slipping away from all the values that we loved and cherished. And it took me back to how quickly all that passion dissipated in the face of a string of better results.

Please guys and gals, don't let that happen again.

Roland is still a weirdo, conducting some strange social football experiment at our great club.

Meire is still an incompetent, arrogant puppet who time and again has shown her contempt for us.

KF is still a third rate coach who has been directly responsible for some of the worst signings in our history, and who only has the job (interim) because he will do exactly what he's told.

As great as yesterday was, let's not allow ourselves to be deflected. Let's be focused, determined and resolute.

Win, lose or draw, ROLAND OUT, MEIRE OUT, FRAEYE OUT.

Don't get fooled again.

Comments

• Halix is bang on about A.C.

The genius fans who said he'd taken us as far as he could and wanted someone to take us into Europe were more wrong about that than anything Katrien has done or said!

How do people know what Katrien is like anyway? I've never met her - have they?
  • Halix said:

The thing is Davo, what do we have as an alternative to Staprix? We are unhappy with the Belgians but who is beating on the door to take the club off their hands?. What exactly are the alternatives if RD decided "thats it"?. Bankruptcy possibly. We could almost certainly build up a campaign to rid us if the Belgians but without a "white knight" riding to the rescue that will still leave us buggered.

Many here were glad, desperate even, to get get rid of Curbishley because "he had taken us as far as he could" etc, I bet most would have him back in an instant now.

What exactly is it that we want from the Belgians? better communication? a British Manager?, more investment in the team? a change in attitude? or them just to bugger off and leave us to our own fate? If were looking for more investment I cant see that abusing KM/RD is going to help, and at the moment without an alternative investor we need them probably more than they need us, and personally I am really nervous.

You shouldn't sit there and accept this situation because you're not sure what the alternative is. If we just sit here quietly because no rich businessman has publicly stated how much he'd love to buy Charlton and sign Messi for them then RD can do whatever he wants with the club. They've shown nothing but contempt for us as fans and things are not going to turn around. We need to force them out, and the closer we get to moving them on the more we'll seem like a viable option for an investor
    Especially with a lively and committed supporter base.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015

Halix said:

The thing is Davo, what do we have as an alternative to Staprix? We are unhappy with the Belgians but who is beating on the door to take the club off their hands?. What exactly are the alternatives if RD decided "thats it"?. Bankruptcy possibly. We could almost certainly build up a campaign to rid us if the Belgians but without a "white knight" riding to the rescue that will still leave us buggered.

Many here were glad, desperate even, to get get rid of Curbishley because "he had taken us as far as he could" etc, I bet most would have him back in an instant now.

What exactly is it that we want from the Belgians? better communication? a British Manager?, more investment in the team? a change in attitude? or them just to bugger off and leave us to our own fate? If were looking for more investment I cant see that abusing KM/RD is going to help, and at the moment without an alternative investor we need them probably more than they need us, and personally I am really nervous.

You shouldn't sit there and accept this situation because you're not sure what the alternative is. If we just sit here quietly because no rich businessman has publicly stated how much he'd love to buy Charlton and sign Messi for them then RD can do whatever he wants with the club. They've shown nothing but contempt for us as fans and things are not going to turn around. We need to force them out, and the closer we get to moving them on the more we'll seem like a viable option for an investor
    The thing is I am a pragmatist not a idealist, and feel that change for change sake is not a good option. I want things to improve and until I know we can do better do not want to destroy what we already have, but if possible try to modify the situation. There are a lot of boards who have been worse than ours (Blackpools, Leeds, Birminghams, Notts Countys, Portsmouths, etc).

So sorry I cant see what the benefit is of blindly forcing out the board if at the end of the day either no one turns up, or we get someone worse. Remember we wanted the Gliksteins out and got Marman, then we were over the moon to get Sunley, that euphoria didn't last too long did it?

• Rome wasn't built in a day
  • Rome wasn't built in a day

True, but Charlton have been here over a hundred years?
  • Halix said:

Halix said:

The thing is I am a pragmatist not a idealist, and feel that change for change sake is not a good option. I want things to improve and until I know we can do better do not want to destroy what we already have, but if possible try to modify the situation. There are a lot of boards who have been worse than ours (Blackpools, Leeds, Birminghams, Notts Countys, Portsmouths, etc).

So sorry I cant see what the benefit is of blindly forcing out the board if at the end of the day either no one turns up, or we get someone worse. Remember we wanted the Gliksteins out and got Marman, then we were over the moon to get Sunley, that euphoria didn't last long did it?

That is an inconvenient truth you've written there, @Halix.

A private, 100% owner is not like Greenwich Council, or the LLDC. You can't force him to do anything. You can, at least in principal, persuade him do things. And as we all know, the art of persuasion is quite subtle and takes many forms.

We need ownership which has reasonable objectives which sustain CAFC and which enthuse the 15,000 or so core support to keep turning up, and to be active in "supporting" the club in various ways, as happened during the 90s. It's most likely that this will also be achieved by having regular dialogue with the fanbase and by harnessing the enthusiasm of committed fans who want to help develop the club and its fortunes, (that includes hiring some of them on a professional basis.) be they 18 years old like @Addickted2theReds, or at the senior end like @GlassHalfFull ,who despite battling a painful medical condition was prepared to travel to Jena and reach out to the fans and club there.
  • Its all about results for the majority, If Charlton say win 10 games out of the next 15 and then someone suggests a protest in the car park i reckon you would be lucky to get twenty people who turned up. Carol would be the next messiah too.
    I belive most are annoyed because the old roly built a squad that was paper thin in the summer so therefore are we just asking him to splash the cash?

• Bulk up the squad that's all it needs, we have been very very unlucky with injuries
  • Bulk up the squad that's all it needs, we have been very very unlucky with injuries

The problem is far more than injuries - while accepting that has been a problem - it is about the whole way the club is run. Signings, gimmicks, disdain for fans, poor managerial appointments, arrogance ... as it stands, we could bulk up the squad but those we brought in would in all likelihood be not up to it
  • Godstone said:

I get your points but if a fan who was there with her says she was crying and another that she was laughing at a comment from a security guard then that gives a different perspective.

I don't see Katrien as some sort of wicked witch. I'm more concerned as to why Roland bought us and the crazy decisions. I can't get angry at KF, Guy etc - I don't blame them one bit. And if it is true that Yann is coming back to appease fans then they can appease us a bit more by bringing back A.C who is still only 58. Happy Birthday to A.C today, by the way.

She's not the root cause of the malaise but she is symptomatic of it and she is simply not able enough to run a football club. That she was even at the window is indicative of her lack of judgement. Hundreds saw her at the window, hundreds saw her laugh. Anyone else see her cry?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is that the same disdain for fans shown by all the premier league teams?
    the same managerial appointments shown by QPR and Huddersfield this week?
    Get a grip, we are fans of one of 92 league teams which are all saying the same thing!
    The only way you would get a say in how a club is run is to put your money where your mouth is.
  • edited November 2015
    The truth behind all of this is that we all want the same things - success for Charlton Athletic. If the owner started making sensible decisions, we would quickly forgive him and get behind him. It may be annoying that FFP rules have changed, and how much money it costs to be competitive, but to go with as weak a squad as we have in such a demanding division is beyond eccentric. Even more so, because there actually some good players at the club. Unfortunately, one, but only one, of those sensible decisions would be to replace Miere with somebody who knows what they are doing!
  • Godstone said:

Halix is bang on about A.C.

The genius fans who said he'd taken us as far as he could and wanted someone to take us into Europe were more wrong about that than anything Katrien has done or said!

How do people know what Katrien is like anyway? I've never met her - have they?

I have.
  • Davo55 said:

Amongst the unexpected joy of a very good performance and a much needed win yesterday, one thing troubled me - a lot. That is, the smattering of posts on several threads which either stated outright or implied that perhaps KM wasn't really all that bad with her nervous girly giggling, that KF deserved credit for the tactical and motivational expertise that drew such a good response from the players, that all could yet be well in the CAFC season.

That troubled me because it took me back to the meeting in Woolwich last winter, the anger and despair in that freezing room, the determination most of us felt to address the concerns that our club was slipping away from all the values that we loved and cherished. And it took me back to how quickly all that passion dissipated in the face of a string of better results.

Roland is still a weirdo, conducting some strange social football experiment at our great club.

Meire is still an incompetent, arrogant puppet who time and again has shown her contempt for us.

KF is still a third rate coach who has been directly responsible for some of the worst signings in our history, and who only has the job (interim) because he will do exactly what he's told.

As great as yesterday was, let's not allow ourselves to be deflected. Let's be focused, determined and resolute.

Don't get fooled again.

Davo55 I was also at the Woolwich meeting and I also find much empathy with your feelings that also reflect mind.... but regarding your comments about KF I cannot see how you know that he is 'third rate' ( he did well with Riga anyway) and for the record he has never been a scout and was not involved or responsible for any of OUR previous signings although he was somewhat instrumental in recommending Igor whom he had worked with.
    And yes, he is employed by the puppet master but that does not necessarily make him a puppet, as least not any more than anyone of us who is an employee.
    I have met him and was tremendously impressed with his knowledge and analysis of the way the team had been set up and playing with GL, so maybe I am foolish but I do think that he will get the best out of our current players and get them to play as a team that know what their individual jobs are.
    Of course he needs backing from RD and KM and I am sure he will get some..... but I think none of us has any faith in whoever buys the players!!!
    More optimistic today anyway!
  • edited November 2015

Its all about results for the majority, If Charlton say win 10 games out of the next 15 and then someone suggests a protest in the car park i reckon you would be lucky to get twenty people who turned up. Carol would be the next messiah too.
    I belive most are annoyed because the old roly built a squad that was paper thin in the summer so therefore are we just asking him to splash the cash?

I think you're right, and that's the worrying thing. There will be good performances and good results from time to time, but underlying that excitement the slow death will still be going on.
  • The crowds are on the slide in any case - even when we started this season well, attendances were down. Also evidence that a lot are hesitating about renewing season tickets in future. That is a sign of a much deeper malaise at the Club, and that needs addressed regardless of match by match results.
  • Davo55 said:

Don't get fooled again.

Davo55 I was also at the Woolwich meeting and I also find much empathy with your feelings that also reflect mind.... but regarding your comments about KF I cannot see how you know that he is 'third rate' ( he did well with Riga anyway) and for the record he has never been a scout and was not involved or responsible for any of OUR previous signings although he was somewhat instrumental in recommending Igor whom he had worked with.
    And yes, he is employed by the puppet master but that does not necessarily make him a puppet, as least not any more than anyone of us who is an employee.
    I have met him and was tremendously impressed with his knowledge and analysis of the way the team had been set up and playing with GL, so maybe I am foolish but I do think that he will get the best out of our current players and get them to play as a team that know what their individual jobs are.
    Of course he needs backing from RD and KM and I am sure he will get some..... but I think none of us has any faith in whoever buys the players!!!
    More optimistic today anyway!
    Interesting to hear your views, @Desperate_Pete

My opinion of Fraeye is based solely on his track record to date, which if I read correctly was in the 3rd level Belgian league (other than his stint here as number two to Riga). And I had heard that many of the players brought in under Roland's tenure were recommended by Fraeye, to the extent that Phil Chapple was marginalised. Is that mistaken?

I am mildly encouraged by your views on the basis of having met him. I really, really hope you're right.