Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The two young lads that came on as subs today

2»

Comments

• Do have to give Fox credit though... Without his great run and eye to pick out Reza we'd never have got the third.

It was that goal so early in the second half which put the game to bed and allowed the team to ease off the gas a bit
  • I think we should get Lookman signed up to some sort of contract asap,because wasn't some sort of deal made with the Premier league two years ago whereby they could cherry pick youngsters from league clubs acadamies for next to nothing? I can't remember the details but I'm sure it was along those lines.
  • I was told at last under 21 game that prem scouts were circling re Lookman. He is going to be the real deal, like THD, so a new contract is imperative. He is only 17 BTW. Future is bright when you add Kag, Edwards, bone and konsa into the mix. Main concern is over exposure too early to the physicality of the championship.
  • Being grade 1 doesn't seem to help much either, Villa didn't get much for Crowley when he left for Arsenal a few years ago.
  • edited November 2015

Both looked great! Do feel a little sorry for KAG as he seems to have fallen victim to being thrown in at the deep end, hopefully with a few sub appearances he will regain his confidence like the other two.

This.
    A tad easier coming on at 3-1 up in the 83th minute at just 18,
    than KAG at just 17 coming on at HT at Bournemouth when 1-0 down, when we are hardly getting a kick, and leading the line after Igor went lame.
  • I was told at last under 21 game that prem scouts were circling re Lookman. He is going to be the real deal, like THD, so a new contract is imperative. He is only 17 BTW. Future is bright when you add Kag, Edwards, bone and konsa into the mix. Main concern is over exposure too early to the physicality of the championship.

Thought 17 was the age you could sign pro? If he is that already then seems strange he does not have a contract already.

Thought 17 was the age you could sign pro? If he is that already then seems strange he does not have a contract already.
    According to the club's handbook
    Ademola Lookman was 18 on the 20th of October, so even more reason to get him signed up.

He turned 18 a few weeks ago. I know he's often played on the left for the u18s and u21s, do you see him as a winger or a striker?

Hopefully we can get him on a long term deal
    soon. It's one thing the current board have done a better job at than the previous owners with many of the youngsters signing 2/3 year pro deals.

THD is one that looked like a future first team player when I first saw him live, much like Solly did at a similar age.

Said this on the match thread but will repeat here. A friend of mine does some scouting for Norwich and when I saw him recently, he told me about a brilliant young prospect he had seen at an Under-21 game recently. Yup, you guessed it, Mr Lookman. He's already told Norwich - who surprisingly weren't aware of him - to get down and watch him.

Looks like other Premiership clubs more on the ball.

When the club announces another £5m loss this year, it's all too obvious what will happen - Roland will sell him off to anyone who offers a few quid in order to offset some of those losses. Wouldn't even surprise me if he gets fed up with our protests if he sells him just to spite us.

No point whatsoever getting excited about any young talent coming through under this regime. They are here just for a year or so (if we are lucky) before being moved on. And until we can move Roland on, that situation will prevail.
  • Both boys stepped up to the plate and were excellent.. my fear is that both will go for peanuts and we will not get the benefit of seeing them in a Charlton shirt for long ala Gomez... come on Roland, prove me wrong!
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be bonkers to not have good youngsters coming through tied down on good contracts, good for them and for Charlton.
  • colin1961 said:

Selling players is not new and has to be done ...Walsh, Hales, Flanagan, Parker etc. etc. being going on for years the secret is to get the best deal like we have done with Gomaz, our hands were tired a little but still managed to do deal that could be worth around 8 mill mark.
    So why blame RD when so many chairman have done it before ?

It's called jumping on the RD bandwagon Colin!
  • colin1961 said:

Selling players is not new and has to be done ...Walsh, Hales, Flanagan, Parker etc. etc. being going on for years the secret is to get the best deal like we have done with Gomaz, our hands were tired a little but still managed to do deal that could be worth around 8 mill mark.

How do we know we have with Gomez?

The only public utterance I am aware of is from the Liverpool end at £3.5m.

Who said it was around £8m?
  • A couple of things about THD I noticed were his first touch and his technique.

There was one bit where he took a high ball down, killed it dead and took off like a rocket - he got hacked down but his touch and attacking intent was exceptional.

The other thing I like is his confidence in his ability and touch. He has a cracking left foot and isn't afraid to shoot. He was great imo

As for Lookman I'm surprised he's got a chance so soon but the unknown factor he brings will work for him.
  • LenGlover said:

colin1961 said:

How do we know we have with Gomez?

The only public utterance I am aware of is from the Liverpool end at £3.5m.

Who said it was around £8m?
    We didn't with Gomez, I don't remember us signing this Gomaz he speaks of or selling mind.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Thought THD was immense and I feel a bit embarrassed that for the whole match I thought he was Regan CC. Must get to specsavers !!

Don't worry, I didn't realise Gary Hooper was playing for them until I read the paper today. Then again he was crap.
  • Am I right in saying Lookman has only been with us about 2 years? So under EPPP rules we would get something like £60K for him? Or to put it another way, about 2 days of Wayne Rooneys salary or just less than 2 weeks of Gary Hooper's?
  • Saw Lookman at MK Dons.. he has the look of a Raheem Sterling, quick brave and confident .. we must keep him for as long as possible
  • Is it not rather naive of us to bring Lookman onto first team squad without getting him to sign a pro contract? Would have been an obvious bargaining point, surely?

Or perhaps he has signed and CAFC just haven't bothered to tell us? One can but hope.
  • Am I right in saying Lookman has only been with us about 2 years? So under EPPP rules we would get something like £60K for him? Or to put it another way, about 2 days of Wayne Rooneys salary or just less than 2 weeks of Gary Hooper's?

It's a year. He turned up for a trial having never previously being attached to a club - just Sunday league stuff.
    Has potential to be a real story imo
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

I think Lookman will be signing soon.

But for which club? ;-)

• Saw Lookman at MK Dons.. he has the look of a Raheem Sterling, quick brave and confident .. we must keep him for as long as possible

This is what I thought.
  • edited November 2015
    Video clip of THD's dummy here:

SEE YA! Tareiq Holmes-Dennis sells Barry Bannan a dummy in the closing stages of Saturday's game #cafc https://t.co/fEKQ2pAPDb

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) November 9, 2015
  • MASSIVE error there, mate.
  • edited November 2015
    There's the difference between bringing on a couple of kids to supplement the senior team when it is playing well as opposed to dumping half a dozen of them into an under performing, low on confidence side and expecting them to perform.
  • CAFCdamo said:
    Those lucky sods, they had a great view from the Fan's Sofa!