Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many games has Fry got?

Comments

• The initial (only!) statement on the matter from the club said that Fraeye was interim until the international break, so imagine that something will happen during those 2 weeks, whether it's Fraeye or someone else.

Initial statement doesn't say anything about the international break being a cut off. "Interim is interim" were Karel's own words after Boro.
  • Unless the escape plan is to buy 6-7 good quality, experienced, championship level players on 1st Jan then we're heading into league one.

Most likely that is the plan as it was last year but the underlying problem remains that we are re-acting to the crisis rather than building a strong enough squad with a strong enough coach.

So the cycle repeats and we can't guarantee to get away with dodging relegation (forget challenging for promotion) year after year.
  • LouisMend said:

The initial (only!) statement on the matter from the club said that Fraeye was interim until the international break, so imagine that something will happen during those 2 weeks, whether it's Fraeye or someone else.

Initial statement doesn't say anything about the international break being a cut off. "Interim is interim" were Karel's own words after Boro.
    Sorry, for some reason I thought I saw a statement or comment by someone saying that Fraeye would be interim, but that the international break would be the time to make a more permanent appointment?
  • RedPanda said:

He also singled out Tony Watt after MK – “it was like playing with 9 men.”

As pointed out the other day, he’s merely a male Katrien Meire.

I have not suddenly become Karel's PR man but with respect, in the interview after the game he did not single out Tony Watt only to say that he was injured and so the quote "it was playing with 9 men".
    Just saying, however to compare him with the out of her depth KM is unfair although I understand why others think that.
  • He is completely out of his depth. There's nothing at all that points to him being in his depth. He was struggling in a paddling pool and now he's trying to swim the channel.
  • RedPanda said:

Did Tony wipe out Solly or something? Not sure how that ones been worked out
  • Addicted said:

He is completely out of his depth. There's nothing at all that points to him being in his depth. He was struggling in a paddling pool and now he's trying to swim the channel.

Well he did okay with Riga I think. I have no idea what he had to work with at his last post or if was struggling there based on available data/information or opinion for that matter.
    Again he may not be here for long so we will not be able to judge.
  • RedPanda said:

I have not suddenly become Karel's PR man but with respect, in the interview after the game he did not single out Tony Watt only to say that he was injured and so the quote "it was playing with 9 men".
    Just saying, however to compare him with the out of her depth KM is unfair although I understand why others think that.
    I think it's good you put this forward and obviously you felt he came across well, and I hate to judge someone without giving them a chance. However any appointment by RD will have little or any credit imo. I don't think he's done anything in the 2 games to suggest he will turn it round. In fact I believe it will take someone like Alex Ferguson just to stop the rot, let alone get us winning. Whilst he may come across as nice, I believe he's just been lingering with intent and is just another disastrous chapter in RD's reign. We need RD gone, KM gone and any affiliates of their administration
  • vffvff
    edited November 2015

We get a beating this Saturday, I reckon he'll be gone before Birmingham.

My guess too. Don't underestimate the fact that they will recognise the need for something to offset the escalating bad feeling. I also think if RD was fully convinced by Fraeye as head coach he'd have been wheeled out before now.

Whether he's capable of the leap to a credible replacement who might not do what he's told and wants more than the minimum wage, I am not so confident.
    I was a guest at the Cray v Charlton game last night and it was refreshing to see a side playing well and finding space for each other.
    I was introduced to Karel after the game and I must say that he was a very approachable and friendly man. We talked for some time and he bought me and my mate a beer in the clubs social club after. He told us many very interesting things but in confidence so I cannot repeat anything that he said which is a pity because I believe that supporters opinion of him would change for the better.
    He is a genuine man but he cannot give or share his opinions on the present situation for obvious reasons..... I have listened again to his post match interviews this morning and I can see how careful he is not to criticise the players whose confidence is plainly for all of us to see, at a very low level and how the careful dissecting of all his words by supporters can lead to onerous opinions of his 'interim' project to get us out of the shit.
    Like him I have no idea how long he will be here but I am confident that he will do his best in the circumstances. He is a qualified coach with 19 years experience under his belt already! The fact that he was last working for a Belgium lower league side does not concern me now and I am a little more confident that there is an escape plan brewing that may get us out of our present critical position.
    I do not agree with the practicality of Roland's vision and I hope he amends it to suit the Championship before it's too late but please don't have a go at Karel - he may be very good for Charlton if he gets the time and backing.

The last sentence says it all... 'if he gets the time and backing' what Charlton head coach has had any of that since Duchatelet arrived at the club.

The trouble is that Emperor Duchatlet surrounds himself with people who won't tell him that his strategy sucks and is doomed to failure. Anyone who talks clearly and directly and are upfront are quickly shown the door. Everybody knows that, including the people who work for him.

Fraeye might be a nice guy and all but that doesn't change the overall desperate strategy.

Did he say how many players of the current squad that he scouted ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't believe that someone who has been successful in business (RD) can't see the obvious problem of appointing managers with zero Championship experience and credibility and expecting them to win games over a long period. I hope/pray that we get someone decent in so I'm gonna say 2 more games (defeats) and he's out.
  • Hard one to predict this as I cannot fathom out the RD/KM definition of "interim" but I suspect it has to be for a least a few months? Saw some folks saying he was a nice guy and I sure he is but then again I have worked with loads of nice people who were not able/qualified for the job they were hired for. I have the horrible feeling that the owner of this club sees the demise into League 1 as inevitable now and is just saving his money but on that I could be wrong.

Come January when we have six new players all bought from our league, a British manager who knows what he's doing and a big charge up the division, Roland will be a hero. But somehow I don't think so
  • The trouble with bringing in someone unknown and unproven in the league is that they will not command the respect required from the players or fans.

The only solution to this is an immediate upturn in results which is what we saw with Riga and Peeters it bought them time as they earned that respect early on. It took Luzon a few games before we went on an amazing winning run.

For me the only way Fraeye can now be made permanent is to see an immediate upturn in results as we did with Luzon. Nothing less than a commanding comfortable win over Sheff Weds will do leading into an unbeaten streak.

I just don't think Fraeye is capable of this, we desperately need to bring in someone who will command immediate respect and an immediate impact with results.
  • I can't believe that someone who has been successful in business (RD) can't see the obvious problem of appointing managers with zero Championship experience and credibility and expecting them to win games over a long period. I hope/pray that we get someone decent in so I'm gonna say 2 more games (defeats) and he's out.

Unfortunately I don't think RD has quite made the connection that his success in business is very different to what it takes to run a successful football club. Yes there are some elements of successful business principles like you can apply such as the one you've mentioned above, but it's because he's treating this part business/part mad professor experiment he's completely screwing up.

The worst thing is I don't think he even cares at the moment. I genuinely think he believes Frayere will steady the ship and turn it round. He doesn't realise the atmosphere is absolutely toxic and greater numbers of fans everyday are turning against him. No one imo could come in now and repair what has happened. It's dead. we are dead under him. the only thing that can happen and although it is a painful short term thing, is for the losses to continue until the he is driven out.

I firmly believe this will happen. As painful as it sounds I think we aren't even going to earn another point under RD's reign. I urge everyone to do what they can to make it known we want him out
  • vff said:

My guess too. Don't underestimate the fact that they will recognise the need for something to offset the escalating bad feeling. I also think if RD was fully convinced by Fraeye as head coach he'd have been wheeled out before now.

Whether he's capable of the leap to a credible replacement who might not do what he's told and wants more than the minimum wage, I am not so confident.
    I was a guest at the Cray v Charlton game last night and it was refreshing to see a side playing well and finding space for each other.
    I was introduced to Karel after the game and I must say that he was a very approachable and friendly man. We talked for some time and he bought me and my mate a beer in the clubs social club after. He told us many very interesting things but in confidence so I cannot repeat anything that he said which is a pity because I believe that supporters opinion of him would change for the better.
    He is a genuine man but he cannot give or share his opinions on the present situation for obvious reasons..... I have listened again to his post match interviews this morning and I can see how careful he is not to criticise the players whose confidence is plainly for all of us to see, at a very low level and how the careful dissecting of all his words by supporters can lead to onerous opinions of his 'interim' project to get us out of the shit.
    Like him I have no idea how long he will be here but I am confident that he will do his best in the circumstances. He is a qualified coach with 19 years experience under his belt already! The fact that he was last working for a Belgium lower league side does not concern me now and I am a little more confident that there is an escape plan brewing that may get us out of our present critical position.
    I do not agree with the practicality of Roland's vision and I hope he amends it to suit the Championship before it's too late but please don't have a go at Karel - he may be very good for Charlton if he gets the time and backing.

The last sentence says it all... 'if he gets the time and backing' what Charlton head coach has had any of that since Duchatelet arrived at the club.

The trouble is that Emperor Duchatlet surrounds himself with people who won't tell him that his strategy sucks and is doomed to failure. Anyone who talks clearly and directly and are upfront are quickly shown the door. Everybody knows that, including the people who work for him.

Fraeye might be a nice guy and all but that doesn't change the overall desperate strategy.

Yes the overall strategy must change or at least the tactics of achieving it (not that that is very clear.....).
    I asked him about player recruitment and he said that he was not responsible for any of the current or recently departed squad except that he had recommended Igor which I do not think breaks any confidences. Recruitment is done by others but I cannot say more than this, sorry.
    He is in a very difficult position but I do not think that he should be criticised for accepting this INTERIM post but it is not common knowledge what is being said in private nor would anyone expect it to be.
  • Can't really see what difference it makes if he's manager or someone else. Until we get reinforcements of a good enough quality on the pitch, the manager will change, but the results will stay the same.............
  • The problem with giving him time is that in the end he is the only option. It's all well and good saying he will do ok but if he doesn't it's relegation. I don't want to sound rude, but I fail to see how a chat over a beer can give any insight as to his chances of getting it right.

Another hammering on Saturday and I will be more than happy for the club to appoit a manager that has done it at this level before, maybe even with more than one club. As I say, no disrespect, but I'd rather have a manager with a proven track record than one that buys a fan a beer or two and says he has a plan!
  • Humour me for a second. Assume our beloved CEO has a brain and that she realised we had three tough games coming in four matches and so appointed him as the fall guy, to be replaced after the rout at Birmingham. That would make a slither of sense, even if she seemingly forgot to tell Fraeye who has already been replaced at his old club. Perhaps RD has promised him another role as compensation.

That of course falls apart as she is clueless. But if, as likely, we lose the next two, it is almost unbelievable they can appoint him to the full-time post. By the Ipswich game they will have had enough time to find a replacement so will have to back him or sack him.
  • Sorry, for some reason I thought I saw a statement or comment by someone saying that Fraeye would be interim, but that the international break would be the time to make a more permanent appointment?

Has there been a sniff of a rumour about anyone being 'in discussions'.

Of course, KM may be trying to play an oh-so-clever game by unveiling a new manager, probably Jason Euell, the day before the meeting with 'fans'
  • I think that the big danger is that RD will view what's happening, even relegation as teething problems in his long term plan. I doubt even he would have thought 20 months in that everything would have panned out exactly how he wanted. I suspect he believes that Charlton are a five year plus project with the training ground development key to future success. Until that production line comes on line he is willing to bide his time in the belief that in ten years from now it will all have worked and we are producing two Joe Gomez per year.

I think we're stuck with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015

I was introduced to Karel after the game and I must say that he was a very approachable and friendly man......he is a qualified coach with 19 years experience under his belt already! The fact that he was last working for a Belgium lower league side does not concern me....

It concerns me, if he is deemed by those football geniuses RD & KM to be good enough to turn round the mess they have created - on what basis are they making this call?

2 wins in 11 with Ham & no discernible success at er...Eendracht Zele in Belgian Division 4.
  • drewman said:

So, surprisingly results have not picked up with the sacking of Luzon and the appointment of the experienced Carol Fry. So how many games will he get do people think? My own prediction is that he'll be made Interim until the end of the season and then he can either be sacked at little cost (his tenure would still be longer than Peeters' and Riga's) or if by some absolute miracle we stay up it justifies him being made the cheap permanent appointment. Thoughts?

He'll have 31 more league matches and our obligatory 3rd round defeat in the FA Cup. Roly's primary aim of relegation will be as good as achieved by the new year and all remaining squad members on contracts beyond May 2016 will be made available for loan in the January window to minimise the contracted outgoings, after which a hybrid U21/U18 squad plus a few crocks and codgers will fulfil the fixtures to a crowd of visiting supporters gracing the Jimmy Seed stand on matchdays, last one out please turn off the lights (assuming edf haven't pulled the plug for non-payment of the bill). Owen and Karl Oysten will be reminding Blackpool supporters how lucky they are to have such sane caring owners compared to the belgian nut down at little old charlton.
  • RedPanda said:

Did Tony wipe out Solly or something? Not sure how that ones been worked out
    Gudmundsson went off after all subs had been used.
  • I think that the big danger is that RD will view what's happening, even relegation as teething problems in his long term plan. I doubt even he would have thought 20 months in that everything would have panned out exactly how he wanted. I suspect he believes that Charlton are a five year plus project with the training ground development key to future success. Until that production line comes on line he is willing to bide his time in the belief that in ten years from now it will all have worked and we are producing two Joe Gomez per year.

I think we're stuck with him.

It took him 10 years to get St Trinians promoted so maybe 5 years is overly optimistic.
  • Karel Fraeye takes a walk after more humiliating results within a month - RD Scrooge gets a visit from the ghost of Christmas past and finally relents, or keels over by the sheer thought! - either will do!

I can dream, can't I!
  • vff said:

Yes the overall strategy must change or at least the tactics of achieving it (not that that is very clear.....).
    I asked him about player recruitment and he said that he was not responsible for any of the current or recently departed squad except that he had recommended Igor which I do not think breaks any confidences. Recruitment is done by others but I cannot say more than this, sorry.
    He is in a very difficult position but I do not think that he should be criticised for accepting this INTERIM post but it is not common knowledge what is being said in private nor would anyone expect it to be.
    H

vff said:

He put a lot of faith in you not to break confidences bearing in mind this time yesterday he'd never met you.
  • Said 5 and sticking to it
  • I reckon he has got Jenga, Battleships, a travel scrabble and Hungry Hippos.
  • drewman said:

vff said:

He put a lot of faith in you not to break confidences bearing in mind this time yesterday he'd never met you.
    Drewman are you implying that I am not a 'reliable historian' or am I a little paronoid?
  • drewman said:

vff said:

H

vff said:

So Drayman, are you implying that I am not a 'reliable historian' or am I just a little paranoid?