Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arsenal 2 Charlton 4

Comments

• Options
    I remember checking the final score on my Nokia mobile. First line said 'Arsenal 2' (as I more or less expected).
    When I scrolled down and saw 'Charlton 4', my neighbours must have heard me.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Gavin Peacock on a rare Charlton appearance. He joined us about 10 years too late. 
    That was his last appearance for us before he went back to QPR.

It was a bizarre loan because they had just been relegated to the third tierand wanted their high earners off the books  I understand we would have signed him permanently but he got injured a few times. 
  • Options
    An amazing game, we should have been 4-0 down before we scored.
  • Options
    The first 30 minutes of that game are the most one-sided thrashing I've ever seen us take. How it was only 1-0 is a miracle. I don't think Arsenal could believe it either, and they were shell-shocked when we came roaring back.

Extra note, their second was never a penalty. Fish (I think) won the ball cleanly and any minimal contact was after he'd won the ball.
  • Options
    An amazing game, we should have been 4-0 down before we scored.
    You must have been watching a different game to me. 

It should have been 6 or 7 :wink:
  • Options
    Wasn’t at the game as I was at my dad’s house in Sussex introducing him to his new granddaughter. I knew there would only be a few minutes of the game left when I got into the car to drive back home to Kent: I turned on the radio and the first words I heard were “.....Long ball- Charlton are breaking quickly down the right...could they score a fifth goal?” I looked at my wife with astonishment......
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The best goal I have ever seen from a Charlton player without doubt
    But Richard Wright played for Arsenal :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfhuXXbjVps

• Options
    edited November 2020
    One of my favourite Prem games 

https://youtu.be/29Bi5Y42oeQ

longer match highlights
  • Options
    Great to see highlights once again.

Kiely's best game for us?

" Saint " Thierry Henry was seen on slo-mo replay to be a run of the mill cheat regarding the ' penalty '

Steve Brown's best game for us ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 England left backs on the pitch konch, SCP and Ashley Cole 
    Gavin Peacock came on as sub for us 
    Arsenal lost only one more game that season as they went on to become champions 7 points clear of Liverpool,  we finished 14th 8 points above relegation zone .

I got goosebumps watching that Jensen goal , I still want to back arsenal when we’re 1-4 up 19 years later ...

• Options
    20 years today.
  • Options
    Watched it in Floyds.

• Options
    Forgotten how much of a kicking we got in the first half. Made it all the sweeter. 
  • Options
    I was in Toys R Us in Croydon on this day with mum (aged 9). Came home to a very happy dad and uncle.
  • Options
    Outside after the game I passed Spike Lee. I asked him if he enjoyed that as much as me. He just laughed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unbelievable 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    What were the Xgs?

I was there, have seen the highlights dozens, if not 100s, of times and still have no idea how we're even still in yhe game at half time, let alone winning.

"Had Arsenal taken all their chances they would have run up double figures. According to the statistics they had 25 goal attempts to Charlton's five. Crucially, six opportunities to finish matters were wasted after Thierry Henry had given them an early lead. "The way they were playing and the way we were, I was fearing the worst," said Charlton's manager Alan Curbishley."
  • Options
    Today, I'm sat across from a gooner. She was at that game. She didn't like it.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Mentioned on Twitter that this was one of the few away games that my dad did.  I’m with him at the moment out in Lanzarote and told him it had been 21 years today.  He called up the extended highlights on YouTube and we sat and watched them with big smiles on our faces.  That game is still creating great memories 21 years on 😁
    He probably used my ticket for the day, as I didn’t go, as I had DIY to do indoors. Knew then that we would win, ended up watching it on TV and not doing any DIY. Herself wasn’t best pleased, still told her it could have been worse, if I had gone to the game and then pub afterwards.
  • Options
    I was watching this it home with a fellow stockport addick, when Jensons chip went in, he launched himself out of his chair, flew fully ten foot through the air towards out tele and on landing on our old dodgy floorboards sent loads of my wife's precious ornaments flying and breaking to bits.   
  • Options
    We had a Sunday league team at the liberal club back then, vast majority of players were Charlton fans, my younger brother played but is a Gooner.
    Anyway, as per normal, we were back there after our game and watching it on the big screen that used to pull down over the small stage.
    My brother turned to us all after battering us early on and going 1-0 up and said “just a case of how many we score now boys”

Oh, how he rued that comment for the rest of the day 
  • Options
    It was the one and only pay per view match I ordered. Money very well spent!
    I ordered the one at the Arse we lost 0-2 when Henry should have got his marching orders for kicking Parker when he was on the ground. Of course, Henry scored.  Their other goal was dodgy, too.