Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who would or could buy us, and how much would it cost?

There are a lot of posts urging Mr Duchatelet to go, to sell up effectively.
In the normal universe, I mean not selling the club for a token £1 or something, is there anybody out there willing and able to take us on?
My vague estimate is that £60million would be enough to buy the club, plus it's commitments, and get us through pretty well until the end of the 16/17 season. By then there would be a recognisable proper football squad, with a nice group of maturing (and valuable) youngsters hitting their stride.
I have not heard a dicky bird about any outside interest for about two years now so I wonder if there is anything about at all. For Roland to sell up there needs to be a buyer.

Comments

• Its simply not worth that, he bought at 15m? At most its worth is that or a little higher, and you would be lucky to get anyone to buy at that price in my view.
  • I am assuming the Sparrows Lane development, the millstone contracts, paying Roland for his infrastructure investment, employing proper staff, having a bit of a transfer budget, and getting through the next 20 months or so.
    Did say I was being vague in my estimate.
  • Get 30,000 fans to pay £100 each and we could raise £3 million. Might buy us a tiny amount of ownership....
  • Ignoring accrued debts etc etc, anyone coming in would have to invest significant sums to keep us in this division, and tens of millions to give us a real push at promotion to the Premier League. At the moment there are a lot of better options available. Sadly, as Leeds and we have found, there are more people with large egos and (relatively) small amounts they are willing to invest who think they can buck the trend and do things on the cheap. Can't see anyone even sniffing around us at the moment, even if RD was interested in selling
  • edited November 2015
    @sethplum, copied a piece below I wrote from another thread having read what was put there by @Ghostofcharltonpast he put-:

Having read views of many fans and non fans I believe time is right to support you guys!
    I'm prepared to ask the question to KM
    was she aware of an offer being made for the club in July 2015 for the sum of €47mil and why was it turned down point blank.

My Response was -:
    So RD turned down 47 million euros (?), that's equivalent to £33,434,821.67 at today's currency rates. Which, if he has put in £21 million himself already (including buying the club I believe) would have made him a profit of £12 m in 18 months. If this is factual, and I don't know whether it is or not, he must have a reason for turning that down after such a short term in charge. So perhaps the sale of The Valley for residential houses and a new stadium on the peninsular is his plan, and if that's his master-plan he needs to be stopped.

Therefore it appears someone was around early in the summer, not sure if it is true or not to be honest with.
  • I imagine the people in the frame to buy us would be the same long queue of investors as last time....and the time before that
  • edited November 2015
    I am fairly sure that a sale will only come with either relegation to league one (cutting "losses," still won't be a loss, selling based on assets) promotion to the premiership (at a huge profit) or a substantial bid.

An eternity of mediocrity in the championship could be our future, if we are lucky ;-)
  • the class of 98
  • To buy the freehold of The Valley and Training Ground, goodwill (yes there is some, we are still a Championship Club), and cover the accrued debt so that a fresh debt free start is made - c£60m as Seth stated.

To equip whatever manager was chosen with the tools to do the job of getting us to the Prem? Who knows? The new owners could spend £100m and still not get promotion.

Every season in the Championship will cost around £5m in losses - increasing if more money is spent on players.

Total outlay around £100-150m depending on player investment - and the only fixed asset is the bricks and mortar. Any new owner (s) would need therefore to be able to spend and be prepared to potentially lose around £100m.

Out of the reach of a fan buy-out and I can't see a queue forming of interested billionaires.
  • Football Club for a fiver?
  • Sponsored links:

• Ebbsfleet have the consortium that I would have liked to have invested in us.
  • I think you'd need to be a total basket case to want to buy us at the moment. We'd be better off spending a fraction of the money bribing all the officials!
  • One must assume he will want his investment back, Which not just the purchase price of the club but the conversion of the accumalted debit into friendly loans and share/equity of the club. So at this momennt that must in the range of £45 million.
  • @sethplum, copied a piece below I wrote from another thread having read what was put there by @Ghostofcharltonpast he put-:

Having read views of many fans and non fans I believe time is right to support you guys!
    was she aware of an offer being made for the club in July 2015 for the sum of €47mil and why was it turned down point blank.

My Response was -:
    So RD turned down 47 million euros (?), that's equivalent to £33,434,821.67 at today's currency rates. Which, if he has put in £21 million himself already (including buying the club I believe) would have made him a profit of £12 m in 18 months. If this is factual, and I don't know whether it is or not, he must have a reason for turning that down after such a short term in charge. So perhaps the sale of The Valley for residential houses and a new stadium on the peninsular is his plan, and if that's his master-plan he needs to be stopped.

Therefore it appears someone was around early in the summer, not sure if it is true or not to be honest with.

Where did this come from?
  • @sethplum, copied a piece below I wrote from another thread having read what was put there by @Ghostofcharltonpast he put-:

My Response was -:

A ghost from the past

My Response was -:

@TheRedRobin I saw what @Ghostofcharltonpast posted on another thread (which is now closed) and responded. All I have done is copied and pasted the original post and my response. The closed thread was - NEW ARTICLE: Love me or Luz me; will Roland ever Curb his approach?
  • We are and whatever RD does, will continue to make a loss so why should he expect to get all of his money back ?

My Response was -:

@TheRedRobin I saw what @Ghostofcharltonpast posted on another thread (which is now closed) and responded. All I have done is copied and pasted the original post and my response. The closed thread was - NEW ARTICLE: Love me or Luz me; will Roland ever Curb his approach?
    Thanks @Redmidland and to @Ghostofcharltonpast (are you Peter Varney in disguise?) for bringing it to our attention. Interesting / worrying.
  • Sponsored links:

• If RD did turn down a bid of 47 million euros and therefore an 18 month profit of 12 million then the burning question for me is why ?

Lots of people have suggested that RD is only here to feed off us. The above scenario suggests otherwise or alarmingly he either has no intention of selling his laboratory rat or even worse that he sees a bigger payoff in the future. Given our precarious league status with associated losses should we drop then I can't help feeling that it is the latter of the two.

By what possible means could RD see a profit greater than the 12 million without some dramatic means that perhaps Ghostofcharltonpast past has already highlighted ?

That does not even address why anyone would see a bid 47 million euros for us as good business.

As Prague has already posted. I wish Ghostofcharltonpast and cafc1263 would see fit to come back on the forum and help us out.

Well to be fair to cafc1263 we had a decent off line chat, and he realises he was winding people up when he didn't mean to. I've met him, he's proper Charlton. He was close to a previous bid, but that bid has gone away. And from what I know of it, I really don't blame Jimenez and Slater for going with RD. And cafc1263 knows why I believe that.

Who knows about @ghostofcharltonpast and his bid? The one thing we've established is its nothing to do with cafc1263 and his guys. I'm just wondering how you can name the price of a bid before you've had a chance to look at the books, do due diligence. How on earth otherwise do you get to €47m? And why do you make a bid without the faintest indication that the owner of a business is interested in selling? Would be nice to know the answers to that, if the writer really wanted us to take it seriously, and wasn't just on a windup.

And finally look how quiet this thread is compared to the protest threads. That's our problem. Sorry to say something people won't want to hear, but if not RD, then who? And why?
  • edited November 2015
    You need the money to push on. Duchatelet will overvalue so I don't see anybody being stupid enough in all honesty. The value of the club is diminishing every day the Belgian clowns are in charge to boot. Bringing in a Belgian third division manager has to be the biggest sign that the owner is not all there that you can have, short of him wearing underpants on his head and a pencil up each nostril!
  • Think Prague hits the nail on the head - it's all very well people saying 'Roland Out' but you need a viable alternative to make any kind of successful campaign based on that premise and I simply can't see that there's any serious individuals/groups out there that would want to buy us at the current time.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Get 30,000 fans to pay £100 each and we could raise £3 million. Might buy us a tiny amount of ownership....

30'000 fans? Which other clubs we gonna ask to be involved then?
  • Had he not bought us, somebody else would have. Could they have been worse? It would have been hard!
  • If RD did turn down a bid of 47 million euros and therefore an 1 Sorry to say something people won't want to hear, but if not RD, then who? And why?

Exactly. All the protests and anger will be pointless unless there's someone to replace Duchatelet. All the demands for RD and KM to listen to fans and allow us closer involvement will mean nothing unless he, or someone, spends some money and we get better players and managers