Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre match from GL

2»

Comments

• ross1 said:

IMHO we now need a settled team - one we can put out game after game whilst obviously being aware of over stretching the players more susceptible to injury than others (?)

And surely that's every manager's dream .

Guy has had to join the same circus that last Saturday's ref comes from, albeit as a tightrope walker.

Balancing the need for certain influential players to start with tired legs/bodies from international matches and of course our bête noire- those feckin injuries- must be hell for any manager.

But add to that the meagre squad that our owner has allowed him to assemble and what do you get ?

A no win situation in more ways than one.

I believe that Saturday will make or break Guy's tenure at the helm and it's up to the players to step up to the plate for him and for us.

Time, once again, for us to make some noise .....of the positive kind.

Keep the faith !

The thing is Fanny, do the players want to do it for GL or have we got another Peeters in charge?
    TBH, I can't make up my mind, ross.

Think we'll know the answer by 5pm tomorrow.

Tuesday was worse than any game under Peeters . I don't want Guy to go , per se, but he needs a result soon
  • edited October 2015
    Scoham said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

I still feel, deep in my bones, that Luzon is a one trick pony. He is all about being upbeat, motivating the team, showing passion. Likeable as that is, it doesn't make up for a lack of nous in tactics, man-management and judging ability/potential, which are the areas I suspect he is weak in.

I really hope I'm wrong, and that he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

Some fans were saying we played some of the best football they've seen for a long time at The Valley, in August.

Davo55 said:

I still feel, deep in my bones, that Luzon is a one trick pony. He is all about being upbeat, motivating the team, showing passion. Likeable as that is, it doesn't make up for a lack of nous in tactics, man-management and judging ability/potential, which are the areas I suspect he is weak in.

think you are doing him a disservice to be fair, at the beginning of the season with everyone fit we looked a very good side playing some decent football
    All a surge of adrenalin. Playing the "big boys" down from the Prem, new players, the optimism of a new season. As soon as that settled down, we started to slide. Injuries played a part but a manager like Kenny Jackett, for example, would have organised us much better and got way more points on the board with the same players at his disposal.
    How do you explain the good run under Luzon last season?
    Scoham you are one of the better commentators on here - so i respect your opinions greatly. My counter argument is....

that the little winning streak when Luzon arrived was possibly down to (a) relief in the squad that Peters was gone (b) some morale boosting enforcements in seasoned pros like Eagles & Johnson. 7 games in 21 days all over the country (which is what his winning streak was) is very little time for a new manager to have any impact n the training ground in my opinion. I do think adrenaline & dead cat bounce account for a lot of this little streak - the guy hardly spoke English, had no clue about the league or the opposition or the players he had inherited (although maybe that last point is untrue as he was lining up for the job while BP was still here). Maybe Mathews (like Cort with Riga) & the leadership of Jackson deserves a lot more credit for getting us back on track last season.

The troubling thing is now we are well into Luzon's regime & he will be having the major impact on training regimes, tactics, motivation, morale & player recruitment (unless he is lying - he is on record as saying that the new signings were his). The results even given the injury excuse are dreadful - since the end of that winning sequence in March - 16 points from the last 57 available.

I get it that he is passionate & wants to win every game...

"We have been incredibly unfortunate with injuries but I am 100% certain that we have desire & with a full squad the ability to win games, we are now in a much better position with key players coming back to surge up the table. Nobody wants to win games for Charlton more than me, I am certain that the fans will be behind us as we start to play to our true strength. I am a winner & I want my teams to be winners - the fans are incredible here at Charlton & they are unique in this league - they deserve more & I guarantee I will bring them the success they so richly deserve."

Actually that wasn't written by Guy Luzon, it was written by me - see any nobody can write a load of meaningless guff - I can bear with him a few more games & i will gladly eat my words if he turns it around but I am just not convinced - i think like KM he is a network chancer out of his depth.
  • Scoham said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Some fans were saying we played some of the best football they've seen for a long time at The Valley, in August.

Davo55 said:

think you are doing him a disservice to be fair, at the beginning of the season with everyone fit we looked a very good side playing some decent football
    All a surge of adrenalin. Playing the "big boys" down from the Prem, new players, the optimism of a new season. As soon as that settled down, we started to slide. Injuries played a part but a manager like Kenny Jackett, for example, would have organised us much better and got way more points on the board with the same players at his disposal.
    How do you explain the good run under Luzon last season?
    Sorry - just seen this. Pretty much agree with Oakster's response.
  • It may turn out Luzon isn't good enough but I'll be surprised if we don't see some sort of improvement if several players are now fit and available, especially Henderson, JBG and Makiennok. Henderson is a good reliable goalkeeper at this level, JBG our main creative threat and goalscorer in midfield and Makienok our only hold up player (who has already had a hand in a lot of our goals). Swapping those three for Pope, Bergdich/THD and KAG is a big improvement.

The players did clearly lack confidence on Tuesday but they can see themselves it was a very weak lineup. It must be very frustrating for them knowing how hard it'll be to get a result. Why would Cousins or Solly for example risk making a run forward if they expect Bergdich to lose the ball, neither striker capable of wining a header or holding it up etc. I'm sure Solly would much rather have JBG in front of him than Bergdich or THD, Watt would feel better playing alongside Makienok the defence wold prefer Henderson behind them. That's got to have an effect on confidence and how you play.

Maybe Matthew and Jackson did make a real difference but they're still here working with Luzon. Every season since we've been back in this Championship we've had a bad run, one where the team looks disorganised and without confidence, without ability to keep clean sheets or score goals. So many of us including myself have thought that's it, there's no way back, this team aren't good enough and we're going down. Every year we've turned it around.

This league is that close that we could beat anyone if we have a good enough team available. There's not been more than one goal in it in most of our games this season. If we can get a team closest to our strongest eleven out we should be capable of getting a goal or two in the first half (which I don't think we have in the league yet) which can change a game and create space on the counter.

Maybe our form being up and down under Luzon just shows we're a mid table to lower half side. That's where we've finished in the last 3 seasons and in each of those we've had some very good and very poor runs of form. With a young squad it could be more difficult to turn it around and the injury/fitness problems various players have could mean we will struggle all season. I wouldn't write Luzon or the squad off just yet though. As I said we've turned it around before when it looked like it was never going to happen.
  • Fundamentally I don't think Luzon is a bad manager.

If he were to get the elbow before Christmas I think he should consider himself unlucky.
  • C O A C H
  • edited October 2015
    In the Evening Std tonight
  • PL54 said:

In the Evening Std tonight

Anything interesting?
  • I didn't read it....I assumed it was a re-run of something already posted here without the expert comment.
  • I would normally be more upbeat after that and I really hope he's up for the challenge.

However, I still can't get over last Tuesday and the starting 11 he put out with far better/more experienced players on the bench. That is a tough one for me.

Let's hope we can get back to how we were playing in August with the return of the injured players. I would say the next 4 weeks are going to give us the answers one way or another. He has lost a lot of support since August. Let's see if he can regain it. I'm definitely on the fence at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reza is the answer to a question nobody asked

Which Footballer has realised that the Kuwaiti Premier League is no where near the standard of Championship Football?

Although I'd be rather grateful if he could score four goals in a match again, then its just up to the Defence to try and ensure that we don't concede five goals (Gulp)
    LOL that's good of him
  • Can he just tell whoever is fit to play - stop passing the ball into the centre circle and then backwards to the keeper.
    Feed the ball to the wings and try to get a cross in - aim for the tall fella with the funny barnet.

We are at home to a team low in the table like us - so........high tempo for 90 minutes please.

If the guys GL picks can't really be bothered - then don't expect the assembled fans to be bothered either.