Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre match from GL

Guy Luzon spoke to the local media at the club’s training ground on Thursday afternoon ahead of the London derby against Brentford at The Valley on Saturday (3pm).

Charlton will be eager to bounce back from the defeat against Preston North End when the Bees arrive in SE7 and Luzon revealed to the press that he hopes to have a number of more senior players available to him.

The Head Coach said that goalkeeper Stephen Henderson was looking ready to start, while also discussing his confidence going into the tie, how he fully understands fans' frustrations and his determination to turn the corner.

Injuries beginning to clear up

“The last two months we have had crazy situations, a crisis, with injuries. It is unbelievable what has happened.

“At this point, we are more positive as, after two months, some of them will be able to come back into the squad and the eleven on Saturday.

“Johnnie Jackson will be ready, Simon Makienok will be back in, Moussa, Henderson, Reza are all back to be involved.

“We showed earlier in the season that we were capable of playing well and getting results. Now that we are starting to get players back, I am confident that we can return to this.”

Confidence ahead of the clash

“In football, to win games you need the tools. At the start of the season, when we had our full squad, we knew how to bring results and to play well. A lot of our players are coming back now and now it is our job to show our quality.

“This league is a long journey and I hope that we can move again now. We are focussed on putting our best players in the squad and on the field. I am fully confident that we have the quality in the squad. We showed it last season and at the beginning of this season. Now that we are getting players back, I am fully confident that we will show it again.

“We are not a team that should be fighting in the relegation war - we have more than this. I am sure that when we are past this injury crisis period then we will return to winning games.”

Understanding fans' frustrations

“I understand it because fans, as well as me, work with emotion. As a fan, when you love the club and the team it is normal that they get worried. I am sure that they’ll will be with us on Saturday.

“They want the club to succeed. They don’t want to go against the team and coach, but they did on Tuesday because they were disappointed; I understand that because when you work through emotions that is normal.

“Also 99 per cent of the time and also last season they supported the team and pushed us forward. We can’t take them for granted because at a lot of clubs the fans go against the team always. That’s not the situation here.

“We have very honest fans. We don’t have any problem with them and we can only appreciate them when they come to games home and away. We know that we have let them down in the last month and I really understand them because I have the same feeling.

“I’m not the kind of person who, after losing, says ‘it’s ok, we have the next game’. That’s not me - I take it to heart and the fans are the same.”

On turning the corner

“All of us are not happy with our situation that we are in. Myself and the players, we know in recent games that we have not even showed 50 per cent of our quality. At the start of the season we showed more but in the last games we have not.

“We are aware of it, we are not happy or satisfied. We are sad like the fans and everyone around the club but, despite this situation, we are fully confident that we have the quality in the squad and that we have what we need to do, which is to bring results. We are going to do that.”
Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-guy-luzon-pre-match-brentford-2759313.aspx#kBw9DDof7XgsvODm.99

Comments

• So now we're getting it in the News Hopper AND conspiracy theorists can compare that version word by word with the version of the same dialogue that appears on the OS. Still, the message reaches more people that way. They're definitely making an effort.
  • Ok, after Saturday's loss to Brentford swap " lack of match fitness" for Tuesday's
    " Crippling injury list"

Sorry, Guy we have heard every excuse in the famous why Charlton are losing list.
  • if only we got points for "rallying calls to the fans" - meh!
  • “I’m not the kind of person who, after losing, says ‘it’s ok, we have the next game."

Except that is precisely what he has been coming out with over the past few weeks. "We go again, blah, blah, blah".
  • HandG said:

Am I the only one who felt a bit better after reading that? It would appear so!

Yes.......yes you are! :wink:
  • He does seem to get it and I enjoyed reading it
  • HandG said:

Am I the only one who felt a bit better after reading that? It would appear so!

No, I'm with you.

Guy 'gets it'. 100% support from me.

COYR
    Absolutely the minute the first whistle blows it's COYR until the end, whatever that brings. If our injury problems have improved then there's a chance that we could field a decent looking team and despite winning the last couple Brentford really are no great shakes.
  • Sponsored links:

• I watched the press day stuff on CAFC player.
    Remarkably Guy Luzon comes over as more on point than he often does. He certainly talks a good game, very positive about returning players. he 'promises' things will get better, and he is convinced it will be because of 'quality', and seems to feel our players are of good 'quality' so that will leads us to the sunny uplands.
    I admire his hutzpah, but what else can he say? He is not exactly going to be all doom and gloom so he is trying to talk things up, and he does that in spades. These events are usually five minutes, this one is seventeen.
    The good news is that he knows that he has to deliver results, he has reasons for our troubles rather than excuses, and he recognised the inbalance in Tuesdays side.
    What now remains is for him to deliver the points and results in game after game.
  • IMHO we now need a settled team - one we can put out game after game whilst obviously being aware of over stretching the players more susceptible to injury than others (?)

And surely that's every manager's dream .

Guy has had to join the same circus that last Saturday's ref comes from, albeit as a tightrope walker.

Balancing the need for certain influential players to start with tired legs/bodies from international matches and of course our bête noire- those feckin injuries- must be hell for any manager.

But add to that the meagre squad that our owner has allowed him to assemble and what do you get ?

A no win situation in more ways than one.

I believe that Saturday will make or break Guy's tenure at the helm and it's up to the players to step up to the plate for him and for us.

Time, once again, for us to make some noise .....of the positive kind.

Keep the faith !
  • IMHO we now need a settled team - one we can put out game after game whilst obviously being aware of over stretching the players more susceptible to injury than others (?)

Guy has had to join the same circus that last Saturday's ref comes from, albeit as a tightrope walker.

Balancing the need for certain influential players to start with tired legs/bodies from international matches and of course our bête noire- those feckin injuries- must be hell for any manager.

But add to that the meagre squad that our owner has allowed him to assemble and what do you get ?

I believe that Saturday will make or break Guy's tenure at the helm and it's up to the players to step up to the plate for him and for us.

Keep the faith !

The thing is Fanny, do the players want to do it for GL or have we got another Peeters in charge?
  • I have just watched the press day interview with guy and I have to say that is the most bullish, upbeat and confident interview he has ever given in my opinion. As @sethplum says - these events are normally 5 mins or less, but this one is over 17 minutes. He speaks with confidence he is smiling and looks as though a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders. He knows how important Saturday is, not just for the fans but for him as well. I think, that most of those returning from injury will start, although he wouldn't be drawn on who and that I can understand. After the doom and gloom of Tuesday, he has tomorrow to put things right and if he can give his starting 11 the confidence he has shown in the interview then I'll change my mind from a scrappy draw to a tasty win.
    However, this does not hide the fact that RD left us short of quality players in the small squad we have and whilst GL might well be able to turn this around (now that the injuries are subsiding and players are coming back), what happens if we get another injury crisis (god forbid) later in the season? RD needs to realise that while GL may be the man that can, he cant do it with both hands tied behind his back!!! Lets hope RD finally sees some sense and looks to bolster the squad, now (freebies and decent loans) and not wait until January.

That hits my spot, Red.

:wink:

• I would also add (following on from my last post) that he knows the fans are hurting and that he has to change it so as not to lose anymore of the fans support. I also think he can see a huge light at the end of a very dark injury tunnel and sees tomorrow as a turning point. I hope tomorrow he is right and we win and win well by playing with pride and passion, he has got a long way to go to rebuild the fans trust in him, and I now believe he can, but for RD I think its too late.
  • I have just watched the press day interview with guy and I have to say that is the most bullish, upbeat and confident interview he has ever given in my opinion. As @sethplum says - these events are normally 5 mins or less, but this one is over 17 minutes. He speaks with confidence he is smiling and looks as though a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders. He knows how important Saturday is, not just for the fans but for him as well. I think, that most of those returning from injury will start, although he wouldn't be drawn on who and that I can understand. After the doom and gloom of Tuesday, he has tomorrow to put things right and if he can give his starting 11 the confidence he has shown in the interview then I'll change my mind from a scrappy draw to a tasty win.
    However, this does not hide the fact that RD left us short of quality players in the small squad we have and whilst GL might well be able to turn this around (now that the injuries are subsiding and players are coming back), what happens if we get another injury crisis (god forbid) later in the season? RD needs to realise that while GL may be the man that can, he cant do it with both hands tied behind his back!!! Lets hope RD finally sees some sense and looks to bolster the squad, now (freebies and decent loans) and not wait until January.

very good Red
  • I still feel, deep in my bones, that Luzon is a one trick pony. He is all about being upbeat, motivating the team, showing passion. Likeable as that is, it doesn't make up for a lack of nous in tactics, man-management and judging ability/potential, which are the areas I suspect he is weak in.

I really hope I'm wrong, and that he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.
  • Davo55 said:

I still feel, deep in my bones, that Luzon is a one trick pony. He is all about being upbeat, motivating the team, showing passion. Likeable as that is, it doesn't make up for a lack of nous in tactics, man-management and judging ability/potential, which are the areas I suspect he is weak in.

You do raise some good points there @Davo55 and you may well be right. I guess tomorrow we will begin to see if his tactics are right and his team selection is what we would expect to see. I hope you are wrong, in the nicest possible way, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
  • Davo55 said:

I still feel, deep in my bones, that Luzon is a one trick pony. He is all about being upbeat, motivating the team, showing passion. Likeable as that is, it doesn't make up for a lack of nous in tactics, man-management and judging ability/potential, which are the areas I suspect he is weak in.

You do raise some good points there @Davo55 and you may well be right. I guess tomorrow we will begin to see if his tactics are right and his team selection is what we would expect to see. I hope you are wrong, in the nicest possible way, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
    No-one would be happier than me, Red. I'll be jumping about and bellowing like a loon if we get the win, and I'll cheer Guy and the team to the rafters as they leave the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• “In football, to win games you need the tools"

Well we had plenty of them both on and off the pitch on Tuesday.
  • Davo55 said:

Some fans were saying we played some of the best football they've seen for a long time at The Valley, in August.
  • Davo55 said:

think you are doing him a disservice to be fair, at the beginning of the season with everyone fit we looked a very good side playing some decent football
  • Reza is the answer to a question nobody asked

Who was the MOM in the WC game between Argentina V Iran ?

• Reza is the answer to a question nobody asked

Which Footballer has realised that the Kuwaiti Premier League is no where near the standard of Championship Football?

Although I'd be rather grateful if he could score four goals in a match again, then its just up to the Defence to try and ensure that we don't concede five goals (Gulp)
  • Davo55 said:

Some fans were saying we played some of the best football they've seen for a long time at The Valley, in August.

Davo55 said:

think you are doing him a disservice to be fair, at the beginning of the season with everyone fit we looked a very good side playing some decent football
    All a surge of adrenalin. Playing the "big boys" down from the Prem, new players, the optimism of a new season. As soon as that settled down, we started to slide. Injuries played a part but a manager like Kenny Jackett, for example, would have organised us much better and got way more points on the board with the same players at his disposal.
  • Adrenalin got us playing good football?

Im not having that.
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

All a surge of adrenalin. Playing the "big boys" down from the Prem, new players, the optimism of a new season. As soon as that settled down, we started to slide. Injuries played a part but a manager like Kenny Jackett, for example, would have organised us much better and got way more points on the board with the same players at his disposal.
    How do you explain the good run under Luzon last season?
  • ross1 said:

IMHO we now need a settled team - one we can put out game after game whilst obviously being aware of over stretching the players more susceptible to injury than others (?)

Keep the faith !

The thing is Fanny, do the players want to do it for GL or have we got another Peeters in charge?
    TBH, I can't make up my mind, ross.

Think we'll know the answer by 5pm tomorrow.