Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roland's intentions - are we absolutely 100% sure.....

edited October 2015 in General Charlton
...there is no property / redevelopment play here?

I'm just trying to get a clear idea on his intentions. I don't think there is, though i think Sint Truiden's ground was developed as much a business centre as a football ground.

We were pretty convinced that the Spivs' long-term play was part progression to the premier league, part relocation to state of the art new facilities on the peninsula and sale of Valley land.

With Roland we are still scratching around for clear intentions. Can we confidently rule out the above (or something similar) to be one of Roland's key drivers?

If we can, there two things will emerge in the short-term if the poor form and fall-out continues:

a: he isn't mad, he addresses something in decline (like he would with his other businesses) and Luzon, and most probably Miere will be facing replacement pretty soon and the circus starts all over again with different ring-leaders

b: he is either mad or belligerent, and continues with the status quo. And the theory that he is only really interested in some form of self-sufficiency running of a club based on lean budget supplied by player sales, with not real interest in its heritage or support, and no real ambition in its advancement, gains further traction.

thoughts?

Comments

• Grist to the mill. This will be a fun thread
  • We are just another of his social experiments that he likes to carry out.

There is no correct outcome .

When he's finished he will sell up and move on to someone else.
  • B. He'll never give Meire the boot.
  • B seems plausible but complete guesswork.
  • As it asset stripping no I don't so.

As in developing the ground maybe.

St Truiden's ground at Stayen has been improved a lot and two stands are very modern with restaurants, lounges, hotels, gyms, etc but it is on the edge of small provincial city where there is plenty of land and not a lot of competition.

I doubt so much can be done at the Valley due to space and planning permission plus is there really the demand for all that in SE7. Certainly makes no sense to build more restaurants when we've outsourced the catering.

But what is odd about Roland is that he seems very happy with big capital expenditure (the seats, the screen, the pitch, sparrows lane) but wants to cut other spending when and where ever he can ie programme sellers, cups of tea.

As with most things with Roland it doesn't add up.

If there was an available piece of land for him to build a new ground from scratch that might appeal to him but I can't see where that would be and how it would get planning permission ahead of more profitable and needed new housing.
  • The following was posted by a Sint-Truidense supporter shortly after RD took us over. I've highlighted the bits specifically about the stadium.

I don't think RD wants to knock The Valley down and turn it into flats or anything of that nature, but there's some worrying stuff here, particularly the comment about no longer owning their own ground.
    Dreke373 said:

Hi Charlton fans

I'm a fan of one of Roland Duchatelet's teams: K Sint-Truidense VV.

STVV is a club that played for years in the Belgian top flight. In search for extra money (let's say 10 years ago) our Commercial Manager wrote a letter to the top-100 richest Belgians. That's how RD got involved in our club in a sponsordeal. As years went by RD became the president of our club. He managed to buy the football ground and the grounds around it. A few years ago he built a new stand with shops, offices, a hotel etc. The year of the construction we were relegated but got promoted after one year in the second division. Our goalkeeper that year was Simon Mignolet. Yep, now at Liverpool FC.

He took over Ujpest in Hungaria. His son Roderick is president over there.

When Standard Liège was for sale, he jumped on that wagon. Since you can not own two teams in one flight, he "gave" STVV to his wife Marieke Hofte. We got relegated due to a lack of investment and now still play in the second division. A new stand is being built at the moment. Google on "Stayen".

He took over another second division team (Tubize) and a few weeks ago Jena as you all know.

To round up. He owns (or is involved in):
    - Standard de Liège
    - Sint-Truiden VV
    - Tubize AFC
    - Carl Zeiss Jena
    - Ujpest FC

That is a brief (and incomplete) round up of his history in football.

What I think you all should know:
    - He bought the grounds around Staaien for peanuts from the city council. He's transforming the ground into something multifunctional. The benefits go straight into his pockets. No bennefit for the club.
    - After huge protest against him in Liège, he announced he would put the club up for sale. Nothing happened since. Of course the results of Standard (first in the league) helps him with that.
    - Between Sint-Truiden, Tubize and Standard players switch very often. It's no exception when there are 4 to 5 five players on loan from Standard at Sint-Truiden. None are of real added value.
    - The president of STVV is a close friend and businesspartner of Duchatelet.

What I want to warn you for:
    - Charlton will be just one link in his football club imperium.
    - Duchatelet is often seen as an idiot in football matters. But no one can deny he is a genious in businesses.
    - At first, we were delighted to see him arrive at our club. 10 years later, he is the worst thing that could have happened to us. We don't own our own ground any more (it's like a bird locked up in a golden cage), we got relegated to second devision thanks to his policy and now he still has his shadow hanging over us. I honestly believe he wants us to stay there because that's better for him.
    - He got me that far that I am doubting to buy a season ticket in the future. I'm disgusted by him and his accomplices who don't fear lieing straight in the fans' faces at supporters meetings.

What I would like to know from you:
    - Are there any plans for a new ground at Charlton? Because that's what is importent for him in Sint-Truiden and Liège. I can not speak for Ujpest, Zena and Tubize.

A fiew last remarks:
    - I have the feeling that the bigger part of the Sint-Truiden fans have the same view as me. Altough I'm not sure. But there are also people who believe he has saved our club.
    - This is only a very brief round up. It is far more complicated than this. So if you have questions, just ask them. I'll try to visit your forum on a regular basis.
    - Maybe he brings you back to the Premier League, maybe he destroys you completely. No one knows. Maybe we will see Charlton players in Sint-Truiden, Zena, Liège and Tubize. Or the other way around. No one knows.
    - With this post, I only want to prevent you guys from (potentially) misplaced euforia.
    - I did my best to express myself in English. That's what we do. :-) Please don't botter on general remarks about Belgians like the ones in a post in this treath. They are short-sighted.

• edited October 2015
    No evidence he's into property development (i.e. converting to residential) and the likely value of The Valley for this purpose (I was told £12m a while ago but obviously this changes) is less than he has already spent buying the club and covering the operating loss, plus unknown transfer fees. There would be significant demolition and clearance costs.

Sparrows Lane is potentially worth a lot more, but very problematic for residential because of its protected planning status.
  • I don't think it is and I'd take a new owner over RD even if they wanted us to move to the Peninsula.
  • b) and he won't let facts get in the way of his vision of a self sufficient stable of clubs running on a lean budget, not for a while yet I think. When the penny finally drops, that it won't work, I presume he'll want to recoup his outlay, he's a businessman after all. Where that leaves us? I suppose how long down the line and what state we are in. I'm not optimistic.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are just another of his social experiments that he likes to carry out.

There is no correct outcome .

When he's finished he will sell up and move on to someone else.

It could well be this
  • Good job the Valey is an Asset of Community Value and he can't pull a fast one (although he could still pull a moderately fast one !)
  • My personal feeling is that maybe if I was a certain type of successful business man with 500 million euros in the bank as is believed, then buying a football club MIGHT be viewed by me as a bit of a hobby or a plaything. Even if that was not actually how I viewed it, it would still become that at least to some extent because it would not really impinge on anything else I did. I would be largely protected from the real effects of any failure and I would get some money back from some sort of sell off of club or land.
    I would not be overly concerned about what fans thought. If it was not working how they wanted I might not be terribly bothered about that. Because I would do what I wanted in my own time. I would try out a few of my ideas because I paid for the privilege to do that and I might have a who are you to stop me attitude.
    If I saw enough face to face passion ( not aggression) about the club I might alter my view a bit, but if I am miles away it all it would probably have little effect.
    I don't know. A lot of things at the club seem to make little sense at the moment from row Z. A decent run of results changes everything. But we don't seem set up to sustain any good runs of form we achieve on the pitch. So I am genuinely baffled.
    CAFC feels completely soulless currently. That takes some effort to achieve in a club with generally a fine tradition of good natured hard working loyal support.

• some very interesting comments from that Belgian poster looking back. A lot you can kind of resonate with there.
  • edited October 2015

some very interesting comments from that Belgian poster looking back. A lot you can kind of resonate with there.

Except that they have now been promoted back to the top flight and are doing rather well
  • edited October 2015
    A new masterplan for the Charlton riverside is due to be unveiled by Greenwich Council in the coming months. All the signs are that Greenwich wants to switch development from being low-rise to high-rises like the ones going up on the Greenwich Peninsula and in Woolwich. (The recent cruise liner planning application saw Greenwich's leader claim one tower was "only" 31 storeys.)

Am sure the trust is alert to this anyway, but is worth making sure this version of the masterplan includes The Valley as a football stadium (as I recall, the last version at least initially didn't go south of the Woolwich Road - bit stupid when that includes the railway station that people will use to commute in and out of the area in question, but that's Greenwich planning).

I doubt any major redevelopment will happen soon (one big property company was sniffing around near the Barrier before last Christmas), though - RD might get bored and move on before he's able to take advantage of any "regeneration" scheme to add extra facilities to The Valley.

There's also the more prosaic issue of Floyd Road being a poorly-maintained dump of a road that's hardly likely to make The Valley an attractive conference venue, etc, and understandably twitchy local residents.
  • I was thinking sparrows lane comes under Rolands long term strategy and he manages the expenditure of that whilst the valley expenditure (all wages, transfer fees, operating costs etc) is managed by Katrien within a budget approved by Roland at the start of each season?
  • Yes @InspectorSands the last riverside plans suspiciously skirted the perimeter of The Valley. Be interesting how it is updated.
  • Sponsored links:

• He plans a commercial development at Jena similar to the one at St Truiden. There is plenty of space to do it though, it will result in a more noisy stadium, and the guys @GlassHalfFull and I spoke to were all for it. And he only owns 49% of Jena. So I see this as merely him thinking that a footie ground should make the most commercial use of its space. He's built a new stand at Alcorcon too.

On top of that, when another consortium that was intent on playing the Peninsula card approached him, soon after he'd taken control, he brushed them off, saying that wasn't what he was interested in.

None of which is to say we should not be on our guard, and I for one didn't realize the ACV is only valid to 2017. That seems a rather pointless scheme if so. If it is an ACV, it surely doesn't stop being one within five years?
  • yes I believe they only last 5 years, happy to be corrected on that though
  • The asset will remain on the list for 5 years, after which it will be removed. However, it can then be re-nominated to go back on the list. An asset can also be removed if, at any time, the local authority no longer considers it to be of community value.
  • razil said:

An asset can also be removed if, at any time, the local authority no longer considers it to be of community value.

And there in lies the rub.

• razil said:

An asset can also be removed if, at any time, the local authority no longer considers it to be of community value.

And there in lies the rub.

They wouldn't dare. Not while some of us are still able to draw breath, anyway
  • Indeed they wouldn't
  • Wouldn't put anything past the ruling clique in Greenwich, frankly. But they've generally played other ACVs reasonably fairly (with the possible exception of Woolwich Grand Theatre).
  • edited October 2015
    3blokes said:

500 million euros in the bank as is believed, then buying a football club MIGHT be viewed by me as a bit of a hobby or a plaything.

RD hasn't got READY access to anywhere near that sort of money "in the bank". Someone like a Russian oligarch or oil- rich sheikh would have. RD has got businesses and shareholdings in businesses that someone somewhere has valued in the hundreds of millions of Euros. His money, apart from the loose change, like whatever dividends he pays himself, is tied up and not easily liquidated. So the sort of cash he is likely to have knocking around is likely to be whatever he got flogging Standard Leige and whatever he can find down the back of the (fans') sofa. I don't see him doing the property development thing unless he can get a nice little loan from a friendly banker or some sort of joint enterprise with another party.
  • Anyone know what assets the Belgian uses for the loans?
  • Leuth said:

Grist to the mill. This will be a fun thread

'Kin 'ell what century do you belong in? I assume you wear a Ruff.

Great expression BTW. I shall use it today (got any more?)