Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Looking at the Squad

2»

Comments

• definately Saar. I may be in the minority but I like him. Gonna turn out to be a huge player for us.

From his earlier showings I wouldnt agree with this...

Against Brentord I thought he was one of our best players which shows there is someone with ability there
  • All the sloppy goals Pope let's in are low shots the he should smother. It's hard when they take a bounce but he's a pro and even at Sunday league you learn to deal with them. He's made some good shot stopping saves imho
  • definately Saar. I may be in the minority but I like him. Gonna turn out to be a huge player for us.

definitely growing on me, there is a talent there.
  • Difficult to tell with most of the new boys as they've been injured for most of the season and we haven't seen enough of some of the younger players like KAG, Kennedy and TDH but I'll go for:

Hendo
    Solly
    Jackson
    Bauer
    Gudmundsson
    Cousins
    Makienok
    Vetokele
    Watt
    Diarra
  • edited October 2015
    agim said:

Look at Ozil at Arsenal. Wenger must of considered dropping him loads of times but it's always in the back of your head that he can turn the game on its arse.

Common misconception:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11451314/Mesut-Ozil-has-ran-further-than-any-Arsenal-player-since-returning-to-the-side-so-why-is-he-called-lazy.html
  • agim said:

Picking out 3 young players here:

Watt is a potential game changer on his day but frustrating as hell when he's off the boil. You get 'luxury' players like this. Look at Ozil at Arsenal. Wenger must of considered dropping him loads of times but it's always in the back of your head that he can turn the game on its arse.

Cousins is a work horse there's no doubt but for me he hasn't got that spark. Don't get me wrong he's solid enough for this level but how many times a season do you come away from a game thinking Cousins run that midfield? He's obviously young and got time to improve and he will under better management I just feel at times he blends in and he's ok with that. He's not a fantastic passing midfielder, or a goal scoring midfielder. He's a worker which is fine but there are dozens of them in this league. Put it this way if he was anything special he would of been bought by now.

Pope for me now he's had his chance. Good shot stopper but that's one of the easier parts of goalkeeping. He's made some howlers this season and they all seem to be the same sort of fumbled goal. Goalkeeper is the hardest position on the pitch I have no doubt but there's a time when you have to learn from your mistakes.

It now looks as if Peeters may have been right and that Cousins best position is as a left sided midfielder rather than a central midfielder. His passing and ball control are not good enough for midfield.
  • edited October 2015

I agree Large, he had a tough few games but showed a lot of confidence and at 21 will improve, Play Diarra front of Sarr and Bauer, alongside Kashi when he's fit,
    and hope Solly and Fox get there Mojo back with Henderson staying fit and the defense really should improve, as long as the rest of the team put in the hard yards as well.

• agim said:

Picking out 3 young players here:

Watt is a potential game changer on his day but frustrating as hell when he's off the boil. You get 'luxury' players like this. Look at Ozil at Arsenal. Wenger must of considered dropping him loads of times but it's always in the back of your head that he can turn the game on its arse.

Cousins is a work horse there's no doubt but for me he hasn't got that spark. Don't get me wrong he's solid enough for this level but how many times a season do you come away from a game thinking Cousins run that midfield? He's obviously young and got time to improve and he will under better management I just feel at times he blends in and he's ok with that. He's not a fantastic passing midfielder, or a goal scoring midfielder. He's a worker which is fine but there are dozens of them in this league. Put it this way if he was anything special he would of been bought by now.

Pope for me now he's had his chance. Good shot stopper but that's one of the easier parts of goalkeeping. He's made some howlers this season and they all seem to be the same sort of fumbled goal. Goalkeeper is the hardest position on the pitch I have no doubt but there's a time when you have to learn from your mistakes.

Personally I think some of this is a bit unfair. I think Watt will come good IF the midfield gets sorted. Our biggest problems have been in midfield, we just can't retain the ball and there is a serious lack of creativity there. Cousins I think deserves his place. Sure he is limited, but who are we likely to attract that isn't limited? I think the answer is to find someone who can sit in the middle with him. Asking him to play as the base of a four man midfield against teams that are mostly set up with 5 men is asking for trouble. Get him a regular partner so they can compliment each other with their play. It's about finding a balance.

In respect to Pope, I agree with you, he has had lots of games, I'm not sure he is up to it. I'd get rid of Henderson too. He is a very good keeper, no doubt, but too injury prone. We need a first choice keeper who is going to play most games.