Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton boss discusses the trip to Reading and provides injury update

Comments

• edited October 2015
    When asked whether the international break has enabled certain players to regain full fitness, Luzon said: “Unfortunately we are in the same situation as we were before with injuries.

“Reza [Ghoochannejhad] has come back to training, Simon Makienok is not ready for Saturday.

“Igor Vetokele is injured and [Cristian] Ceballos has a big injury.
  • Henderson?
  • We're f***** basically.
  • Why no mention of Kashi in the injury update? Total mystery. Can't quite see why some of these injuries are taking so long to clear up. Ceballos's injury didn't look all that bad. What's up with Igor now? Bah humbug.

• Why no mention of Kashi in the injury update? Total mystery. Can't quite see why some of these injuries are taking so long to clear up. Ceballos's injury didn't look all that bad. What's up with Igor now? Bah humbug.

Usually it's the ones that don't look as bad that are the worst. I thought ceballos' injury looked really nasty, his knee went in an unnatural direction so I'm guessing his ligaments have been mucked up.

Usually it's the ones that don't look as bad that are the worst. I thought ceballos' injury looked really nasty, his knee went in an unnatural direction so I'm guessing his ligaments have been mucked up.
    You could be right. It looked like a gash to me which should have healed by now but maybe more damage was done.
  • What's the 'big injury' to Ceballos?
  • Disappointing that Mak isn't ready to come back, maybe he's being saved for Tuesday as we'd take a nil nil on Saturday, whereas Tuesday's game against Preston and the Brentford game are much better chances of wining?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

Ceballos' injury is his ankle ligaments. From knowing a bit about them myself, I am guessing maybe this time next month once he has started training and strengthening his ankle again.

Igor is a mystery as since last year it's one thing after another, this is now his second injury around his pubis/groin. Before that was achilles so I am guessing he needs good quality rehabilitation to strengthen those areas and work on his core to take some of the balancing pressure off of those older injuries.

We clearly rushed Makienok back and it did more harm than good. Hamstrings are a pain as if you don't look after it properly it really sets you back. For such a tall man he needs good support around his hamstrings so they're not stretched or torn. Hopefully back by Middlesbrough latest but we shall see.

Reza being back in training is good news, am hopeful he can be able to fully train and be in contention for Brentford next week.

Henderson said on Twitter himself that he's working hard to be ready for Saturday so we can all hope that he is.

This is not inside knowledge but instead based on my knowledge of these injuries personally, and by the degree I have started at Uni.

Didn't KM intimate in her recent interview that the issue with Igor might not just be physical ? Apologies if I've remembered that incorrectly.

God knows what's going on with Henderson, for ages he was always "close" or "two weeks away", now he's not even mentioned so I guess we should just assume he's fit.
  • Disappointing that Mak isn't ready to come back, maybe he's being saved for Tuesday as we'd take a nil nil on Saturday, whereas Tuesday's game against Preston and the Brentford game are much better chances of wining?

doubt he's being saved, rather he's just not ready.
  • LenGlover said:

If Jackson doesn't get a start in this game ahead of Ba then Guy can go and play at being a manager somewhere else.

I love Jackson but at 33 or whatever he is perhaps, as he showed against Fulham, he is better used as an impact sub.
    Len, I think we will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Jackson is a blooming good pro who can get the team organised and playing with a bit of fight - 2 things which are badly needed at the moment. If he only lasts an hour, then so be it. Much rather that, with the team competing for the first hour, than for him to come on with 20 mins left when we are a goal or two down.

• “I know there are a more injured players but I can’t remember them all because there are so many. What is important now is that we focus on who we do have available and concentrate on Reading.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-press-conference-guy-luzon-2745239.aspx#ShlsimWZtJbtMtSD.99
  • LenGlover said:

If Jackson doesn't get a start in this game ahead of Ba then Guy can go and play at being a manager somewhere else.

I love Jackson but at 33 or whatever he is perhaps, as he showed against Fulham, he is better used as an impact sub.
    Len, I think we will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Jackson is a blooming good pro who can get the team organised and playing with a bit of fight - 2 things which are badly needed at the moment. If he only lasts an hour, then so be it. Much rather that, with the team competing for the first hour, than for him to come on with 20 mins left when we are a goal or two down.

There's a massive lack of leadership in our side (I thought Diarra would be able to fill that role) and I think that is costing us.

Even if we need to carry Jackson a little physically I think the inspiration and organisation he'd bring means it makes more sense for us to use him for 60 mins from the start.
  • edited October 2015
    se9addick said:

Sage said:

Ceballos' injury is his ankle ligaments. From knowing a bit about them myself, I am guessing maybe this time next month once he has started training and strengthening his ankle again.

Igor is a mystery as since last year it's one thing after another, this is now his second injury around his pubis/groin. Before that was achilles so I am guessing he needs good quality rehabilitation to strengthen those areas and work on his core to take some of the balancing pressure off of those older injuries.

We clearly rushed Makienok back and it did more harm than good. Hamstrings are a pain as if you don't look after it properly it really sets you back. For such a tall man he needs good support around his hamstrings so they're not stretched or torn. Hopefully back by Middlesbrough latest but we shall see.

Reza being back in training is good news, am hopeful he can be able to fully train and be in contention for Brentford next week.

Henderson said on Twitter himself that he's working hard to be ready for Saturday so we can all hope that he is.

This is not inside knowledge but instead based on my knowledge of these injuries personally, and by the degree I have started at Uni.

Didn't KM intimate in her recent interview that the issue with Igor might not just be physical ? Apologies if I've remembered that incorrectly.

God knows what's going on with Henderson, for ages he was always "close" or "two weeks away", now he's not even mentioned so I guess we should just assume he's fit.
    If it's not physical and is more mental, it makes me wonder why this kind of thing happens to us more than other clubs. Look at Kelly Youga and Danny Haynes for example, apparently they were more psychological issues in the end.

We either need to employ a good sports psychologist who can help with injuries and recovering mentally from those set backs. Or if they're being originally misdiagnosed to then find out the true problem and deal with it, as that can have both a physical and psychological issue as a result if they're not.

You can't put all of these injuries down to luck or bad luck at that. In this instance there's no such thing, something doesn't seem right. Just like the Arsenal situation with injuries, they haven't been unlucky, within the profession it's known they haven't been treated correctly some way or another.

Unfortunately we are light years behind in these aspects and understanding it compared to the elite in Germany for example.
  • Sage said:

se9addick said:

Sage said:

If it's not physical and is more mental, it makes me wonder why this kind of thing happens to us more than other clubs. Look at Kelly Youga and Danny Haynes for example, apparently they were more psychological issues in the end.

We either need to employ a good sports psychologist who can help with injuries and recovering mentally from those set backs. Or if they're being originally misdiagnosed to then find out the true problem and deal with it, as that can have both a physical and psychological issue as a result if they're not.

You can't put all of these injuries down to luck or bad luck at that. In this instance there's no such thing, something doesn't seem right. Just like the Arsenal situation with injuries, they haven't been unlucky, within the profession it's known they haven't been treated correctly some way or another.

Unfortunately we are light years behind in these aspects and understanding it compared to the elite in Germany for example.
    She said;

"He wants to feel completely fit and secure about his body before he goes out and plays"
  • se9addick said:

Sage said:

se9addick said:

Sage said:

She said;

"He wants to feel completely fit and secure about his body before he goes out and plays"
    Maybe he feels he's been mistreated and made to play more than his body could cope before? Therefore, scared of another set back if he isn't ready mentally, he's likely to not be ready physically either.
  • “I know there are a more injured players but I can’t remember them all because there are so many. What is important now is that we focus on who we do have available and concentrate on Reading.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-press-conference-guy-luzon-2745239.aspx#ShlsimWZtJbtMtSD.99

Presumably whoever turns up asks questions. It seems a bit strange no one would have prompted him over Henderson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Same old predictable bullshit. Cue Luzon claiming we need to show more energy and character come 5pm Saturday after getting dicked 3-0. RD and Katrien need to seriously look and listen or piss off. Back the manager when it matters . Couldn't care less if we got a nice sofa and cheerleaders when we ain't performing on the pitch .

If it was the last game of the season, and we needed 3 points for promotion/safety I'm sure he'd be risked. We've got many games to come and don't want to risk him now, and jeopardise his chances of playing in more winnable matches...

If it was the last game of the season, and we needed 3 points for promotion/safety I'm sure he'd be risked. We've got many games to come and don't want to risk him now, and jeopardise his chances of playing in more winnable matches...
    Maybe or maybe he's weeks away from being ready.

What I find more interesting is the Guy started out saying he wasn't focusing on the other side and it was all about what we did. Here he's talking up how good Reading are and that it will be a hard game. Very true but it feels like a change.
  • A month ago Guy is the best thing since sliced bread. A month later he's useless.

Classic Charlton fans. You couldn't make it up.
  • Tuesday is the possible 3 pointer - Saturday will follow the familiar blueprint against an admittedly good side.
  • Moussa is wending his way back, so that's something, mind you Umerah was a sub previously, and I think he is injured too.
  • The injuries are almost beyond bad luck now. There must be something amiss with training techniques, or fitness drills etc.
  • The injuries are almost beyond bad luck now. There must be something amiss with training techniques, or fitness drills etc.

100%

Same as Liverpool who've lost Ings and Gomez in a week?

Maybe it is the training or the physios or the two small squad or buying players with existing injury issues or overplaying players with injuries or just bad luck.