Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2018 Qualification

Comments

• Options

Oh well... The other home countries will have to shout for us, like they always do.

Only if Gomez/Nick Pope/erm, Jonjo Shelvey etc make the frame. I'd rather support a JBG-fronted Iceland.

I'm a Londoner first and foremost, then immensely proud of my non-English heritage. I suppose 23 years of being asked "but where are you REALLY from?" takes its toll.
  • Options
    I used to support all of the UK teams and Republic of Ireland until the way the Welsh celebrated our loss against Iceland and a lot of comments against us from Republic supporters, so now I only want England to be successful
  • Options
    Joe Gomez MOM from Glen Hoddle on ITV
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Oh well... The other home countries will have to shout for us, like they always do.

Only if Gomez/Nick Pope/erm, Jonjo Shelvey etc make the frame. I'd rather support a JBG-fronted Iceland.

I'm a Londoner first and foremost, then immensely proud of my non-English heritage. I suppose 23 years of being asked "but where are you REALLY from?" takes its toll.
    That's fine and you sre perfectrly entitled to your view.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

That 'butterflies in my stomach' feeling, before the game in Dublin tomorrow.
    So nervous about this. I think we'll screw it up somehow and fail to qualify.

@Danepak Nothing to worry about in the end mate.
  • Options
    Well done to the Danes.
  • Options

Danepak said:

I was still nervous, when we were 3-1 up.
    Just so relieved and happy now. Been very very nervous about this game.
    Denmark didn't really deserve to be at the World Cup in 2010.
    This time however, we've got a team with some great great individuals.
    Would have been horrible, if we didn't make it this time.
    Eriksen is unreal.
    Pisto with a bit of confidence...dangerous!
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Danepak said:

Eriksen is unreal.
    Eriksen was brilliant tonight. No surprise. Finally putting goals to his all round game. Yet another player improved immeasurably under Pochettino.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    JohnBoyUK said:

Danepak said:

Danepak said:

Eriksen is unreal.
    Eriksen was brilliant tonight. No surprise. Finally putting goals to his all round game. Yet another player improved immeasurably under Pochettino.
    Eriksen has improved a lot under Aage Hareide.
    Whilst we knew he was good for Spurs, he's never really performed for Denmark under Morten Olsen.
    Not the case anymore, after my favourite Norwegian took over.

(By the way, Aage isn't pronounced 'Aah-Geeh', like the British commentators tend to pronounce it. More like 'Oh').
  • Options
    Ireland v Denmark was a very strange game, Ireland could have been 3-0 up and then even re-taken the lead at 1-1 but missed crucial chances and paid the price.

The sad thing is that as average as Ireland are that England are only marginally better and will very likely be getting knocked out at the group stages in Russia.

If you go back over the last three World Cups we've only beaten Slovenia (1-0), Paraguay (1-0), Trinidad & Tobago (2-0) and Ecuador (1-0), you have to go back to the brilliant 1-0 win against the Argies in 2002 for our last World Cup win against a decent side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

I suppose 23 years of being asked "but where are you REALLY from?" takes its toll.
    Nice one...
    Or being asked "what's the accent?" You obligingly answer, but when you turn the question around you receive a: "I don't have one..." accompanied by a nervous smile
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Pot 1
    Russia
    Germany
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    Belgium
    Poland
    France

Pot 2
    Spain
    Switzerland
    England
    Colombia
    Mexico
    Uruguay
    Croatia
    Peru / Denmark

Pot 3
    Iceland
    Costa Rica
    Sweden
    Tunisia
    Egypt
    Senegal
    Iran
    Denmark / Serbia

Pot 4
    Nigeria
    Japan
    Morocco
    Panama
    South Korea
    Saudi Arabia
    Australia / Honduras
    Serbia / New Zealand

England can draw up to one team per confederation (including UEFA) in their group. We obviously cannot be paired with any other team in Pot 2 so we won't be playing Spain, Colombia, Croatia... in the group stages.

For example if we draw France from Pot 1, we can't also draw Iceland from Pot 3 and if we draw Tunisia from Pot 3, we can't also draw Morocco from Pot 4 etc.
  • Options

Pot 1
    Russia
    Germany
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    Belgium
    Poland
    France

Pot 2
    Spain
    Switzerland
    England
    Colombia
    Mexico
    Uruguay
    Croatia
    Peru / Denmark

Pot 3
    Iceland
    Costa Rica
    Sweden
    Tunisia
    Egypt
    Senegal
    Iran
    Denmark / Serbia

Pot 4
    Nigeria
    Japan
    Morocco
    Panama
    South Korea
    Saudi Arabia
    Australia / Honduras
    Serbia / New Zealand

England can draw up to one team per confederation (including UEFA) in their group. We obviously cannot be paired with any other team in Pot 2 so we won't be playing Spain, Colombia, Croatia... in the group stages.

For example if we draw France from Pot 1, we can't also draw Iceland from Pot 3 and if we draw Tunisia from Pot 3, we can't also draw Morocco from Pot 4 etc.

Any idea when the draw takes place?
  • Options
    1st Dec
  • Options
    Easiest possible group for England by FIFA rankings: Russia, Iran, New Zealand
  • Options

Ireland v Denmark was a very strange game, Ireland could have been 3-0 up and then even re-taken the lead at 1-1 but missed crucial chances and paid the price.

The sad thing is that as average as Ireland are that England are only marginally better and will very likely be getting knocked out at the group stages in Russia.

If you go back over the last three World Cups we've only beaten Slovenia (1-0), Paraguay (1-0), Trinidad & Tobago (2-0) and Ecuador (1-0), you have to go back to the brilliant 1-0 win against the Argies in 2002 for our last World Cup win against a decent side.

How do you manage to be so positive and cheerful all the time Ormy?
  • Options

England are much better than Ireland and the home nations, as reflected by how many times we've qualified in the last 20 years for World Cups and Euros when compared to them

We're not at the level where we can beat the top teams, but in general will get through to the knockout stages. 2014 and 2016 were dreadful, but not reflections of where we should have got to.
  • Options
    Aussies one up with 20 minutes to go.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

2-0 now.
  • Options

iaitch said:

2-0 now.
    10 mins left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Australia.

Would love to see New Zealand at the World Cup again but don't mind too much if Peru qualify either as another uncommon name of recent tournaments.
  • Options

I disagree that we are only 'marginally' better. Whilst we underachieve in tournaments, we are still much stronger than Ireland. If Ireland played their reserve sides out against Germany and Brazil they wouldn't be holding them to draws like we were able to.

England have always had a relatively strong team, but unfortunately they also always underachieve.
  • Options
    Anyone know if dasilva and konsa played in the u20 defeat to Germany last night and if they did ,did they come through unscathed?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I disagree that we are only 'marginally' better. Whilst we underachieve in tournaments, we are still much stronger than Ireland. If Ireland played their reserve sides out against Germany and Brazil they wouldn't be holding them to draws like we were able to.

England have always had a relatively strong team, but unfortunately they also always underachieve.
    I agree we are better than Ireland but I do not agree that we always 'underachieve'.

I can't recall us ever really 'underachieving'.

Even in the supposed golden generation we didn't really underachieve as if you looked at the other national teams we were never going to win the WC anyway. While we had a few good players other countries had some unbelievably good players.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

cafctom said:

I agree we are better than Ireland but I do not agree that we always 'underachieve'.

I can't recall us ever really 'underachieving'.

Even in the supposed golden generation we didn't really underachieve as if you looked at the other national teams we were never going to win the WC anyway. While we had a few good players other countries had some unbelievably good players.
    Other than Argentina, who have England beat that had a higher FIFA ranking in competition?
  • Options

Anyone know if dasilva and konsa played in the u20 defeat to Germany last night and if they did ,did they come through unscathed?

Yeah both played the 90mins
  • Options
    Crazy that Spain are in pot two behind some of those teams
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The facts simply don't bear this out - recent tournaments demonstrate that we are getting worse every two years.

World Cup 2010 we gained a single win against tiny Slovenia, World Cup 2014 we gained a single point against the might of Costa Rica, Euro 2016 we gained a single win against the mighty Welsh in the last minute and then got destroyed by Iceland in ignominious fashion.

After all, if we don't judge England by how they perform in major tournaments then how else are we to judge them?

We hit our last peak in 2002-2006 with the 'golden generation' and were definitely in the top eight countries in the world with the likes of Neville, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole, Beckham, Scholes, Owen, Lampard and Gerrard - but the last 10 years we have been getting steadily worse.

If you want to know the answer to that then just look at how many English qualified players are playing regular Champions League football - outside the Spurs boys there are simply not enough.
  • Options
    England may have stumbled upon their most effective tactic to go into the World Cup in the last two games. Nil nils in the knockout stage force a penalty shootout which IMO is our best chance of beating a Germany or a Brazil. Yes it may be less exciting when there's less goals but you can't be beat if you don't concede.
  • Options
    Peru 2-0 New Zealand FT

Peru into their first World Cup since 1982.