Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2018 Qualification

Comments

• Options
    UEFA Nations League has been seeded ahead of the Tournament being drawn in January

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41580638
  • Options

UEFA Nations League has been seeded ahead of the Tournament being drawn in January

I only read it briefly earlier but I haven't got a clue how that works.

• Options
    Interesting points on the US lack of qualification from Arlo White on Twitter, that the MLS doesn't help by allowing so many teams into the playoffs each season means winning every week isn't drilled into players.
  • Options

I only read it briefly earlier but I haven't got a clue how that works.

Basically there are four Leagues: A | B | C | D

League A has four Groups of three teams... Winners of each Group will advance to a Semi-Final / Final type Round Robin Format in 2019 to determine the winners of the Nations League... Team that finishes bottom of each Group will drop to League B

Same style with League B | C | D with the top / bottom teams being promoted and relegated between the tiers

Its basically a competition to replace Friendlies and to replace the gap left without a World Cup or Euros year

Also seems as though you can Qualify for Euro 2020 via. the Nations League (which gets confusing)... Wiki says:

Each Nations League division will be allocated one of the four remaining UEFA Euro 2020 places. Four teams from each division which have not already qualified for the European Championship finals will compete in the play-offs for each division, to be played in March 2020. The play-off berths will be first allocated to the group winners, and if any of the group winners have already qualified for the European Championship finals, then to the next best ranked team of the division, etc. If in any division, there are fewer than four teams which have not already qualified for the European Championship finals, the play-off berths will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the following division
  • Options
    nice to see a new nation, Panama, qualify. Not as great an achievement as Iceland imo as they have a population of 4m compared to Iceland's 350k.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me although if you qualify for Euro 2020 because you won the Nations League, what happens to you while everyone else is playing qualifying matches a year or two later?

The problem some teams had was that as host nations, they were left to play only friendliest for two years. I don't see how qualifying early helps with that.
  • Options

Thanks for the added insight, @SDAddick. However, I stand by my comment re CONCACAF. I'll give you Mexico as tough opponents but as for the rest, really?!

At the last world cup Costa Rica topped a group with England, Italy and Uruguay in it.
  • Options
    Heres a video UEFA made to explain the format

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/video/videoid=2502762.html
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    All England fans need to know is that in 2018/19 we'll be in a group of three with one of Germany, Belgium, Portugal or Spain and one of Poland, Iceland, Croatia or the Netherlands.

The team that finishes top of our group of three will qualify directly for Euro 2020, the other two teams will go into regular Euro 2020 qualifying. In addition, the team who finish third will be relegated to League B ahead of the 2020/21 edition. There's also semi finals and a final to play between group winners to decide an overall League Nations champion every two years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All England fans need to know is that in 2018/19 we'll be in a group of three with one of Germany, Belgium, Portugal or Spain and one of Poland, Iceland, Croatia or the Netherlands.

The team that finishes top of our group of three will qualify directly for Euro 2020, the other two teams will go into regular Euro 2020 qualifying. In addition, the team who finish third will be relegated to League B ahead of the 2020/21 edition. There's also semi finals and a final to play between group winners to decide an overall League Nations champion every two years.

And at the end of it, Scotland will miss out on qualification for the Euros again
  • Options

Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but this is just bonkers. What's wrong with the existing setup? Or is it literally mainly to replace meaningless friendlies?
  • Options
    Replaces friendlies and introduces a "tournament winner" on the odd number years between World Cups and European Championships.

I like it personally.
    Any league based structure where more similar level teams play more often should only aid development teams, regardless of their level
  • Options
    Fair enough. May make more sense when it actually arrives.
  • Options

Replaces friendlies and introduces a "tournament winner" on the odd number years between World Cups and European Championships.

I like it personally.
    Any league based structure where more similar level teams play more often should only aid development teams, regardless of their level

I like the idea in theory I just have no fucking clue how it works.

Fuck it, should be fun, some of the best things in life involve making the rules up as you go along.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4tDf1VYUg

To go back to the US, just seen the highlights. Also, I thought they needed a win away to T&T, they only need a draw ffs.

This will be held up as a nadir, but Taylor Twellman makes a good point that this is the result of years of systemic failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFh729L2oA

By the way, the US have the same problem England have. To qualify, they have to play a completely different way to how they do at the actual tournament. They're forced to have a lot of the ball and go at teams and attack. And that is obviously not natural for England, and it's not natural for the US. And the fact they both teams struggle with it, with playing attacking, possession based football, shows a flaw in the players and coaching (from youth level up) in both nations.
  • Options
    It's NZ v Peru to see who goes through to the Finals.. The home and away fixtures will be held next month and hopefully a good crowd in Wellington to cheer the kiwis on. If the crowd is anything like that for the Lions it will be mighty.
  • Options

The team that finishes top of our group of three will qualify directly for Euro 2020, the other two teams will go into regular Euro 2020 qualifying. In addition,
    the team who finish third will be relegated to League B ahead of the 2020/21 edition. There's also semi finals and a final to play between group winners to decide an overall League Nations champion every two years.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Unlike previous editions of the World Cup, all pots will be determined by each national team's October 2017 FIFA World Ranking, with Pot 1 containing the highest-ranked teams, Pot 2 containing the next highest-ranked teams, and so on; in previous editions only one pot containing the highest-ranked teams was determined by rank, with the other three pots determined by continental confederation. The hosts will continue to be placed in Pot 1 and treated as a seeded team, however, so Pot 1 will consist of hosts Russia and the seven highest-ranked teams that qualify for the tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_seeding

Would like a source on the above but it's an interesting change if true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Unlike previous editions of the World Cup, all pots will be determined by each national team's October 2017 FIFA World Ranking, with Pot 1 containing the highest-ranked teams, Pot 2 containing the next highest-ranked teams, and so on; in previous editions only one pot containing the highest-ranked teams was determined by rank, with the other three pots determined by continental confederation. The hosts will continue to be placed in Pot 1 and treated as a seeded team, however, so Pot 1 will consist of hosts Russia and the seven highest-ranked teams that qualify for the tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_seeding

Would like a source on the above but it's an interesting change if true.

Found it

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=9/news=oc-for-fifa-competitions-approves-procedures-for-the-final-draw-of-the-2907924.html
  • Options
    Not sure if it has already been posted on here but it looks as though Northern Ireland's ranking has fallen and will not be one of the seeded teams in the draw. Denmark seem to have taken their place.

Seeded: Italy, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark
    Unseeded: Northern Ireland, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Greece

Real shame as I thought if Northern Ireland were to be one of the seeded nations, they had a real chance of qualification. Now, I think it's going to be a really tough couple of games, whoever they play.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Not sure if it has already been posted on here but it looks as though Northern Ireland's ranking has fallen and will not be one of the seeded teams in the draw. Denmark seem to have taken their place.

Seeded: Italy, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark
    Unseeded: Northern Ireland, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Greece

Real shame as I thought if Northern Ireland were to be one of the seeded nations, they had a real chance of qualification. Now, I think it's going to be a really tough couple of games, whoever they play.

In a way I think its fair as reckon it should be the top four 2nd placed teams against the bottom four 2nd placed teams based on the amount of points each team accumulated during the Group stage rather than by FIFA ranking which can be effected by the amount of Friendlies that get played.

If the seeding was done that way then its spot on with the seeded / unseeded sides
  • Options
    lets hope ROI, NI, Italy and Croatia lose then.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Northern Ireland v Switzerland | Denmark v Republic of Ireland

Get in!! - Very winnable for both of them!!
  • Options
    Northern Ireland v Switzerland
    Croatia v Greece
    Denmark v Ireland
    Sweden v Italy

Northern Ireland at home first leg.

Ireland at home second leg.
  • Options

Northern Ireland v Switzerland
    Croatia v Greece
    Denmark v Ireland
    Sweden v Italy

Northern Ireland at home first leg.

Ireland at home second leg.

Was that done deliberately or just luck of the draw?

Or is it not a case of Liverpool / Man Utd being in Moscow at the same time etc.
  • Options
    Good draw for the 2 Irish teams, gives them both a decent chance of getting through.