Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reading

2»

Comments

• Me and youngest hopping on a train from Feltham to Reading, how do we get to the stadium (cab, bus....or ?), I am assuming we will be able to walk up for tickets

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/madejski-stadium-reading.html
  • Most black cabs a

Helps that you can pay by card and have the price on your phone in advance

most black cabs accept cards and apps like Hailo & Gett offer the same technology. At the same time you are supporting an iconic London institution rather than a U.S. Conglomerate that takes 20% of the fare to line their pockets whilst handily domiciled in Holland to avoid paying any UK tax
  • BTW @sunbury-addick ..... Sorry to hijack your thread. Hope you get to the ground safely and enjoy an unexpected 3pts. COYR!
  • edited October 2015
    I use Uber, and personally think it's great. I accept that fact that they are hopeless drivers, and need to rely on a sat nav/me to tell them where to go, but it does seem to work out a lot cheaper.

Edit. I'd always use black cabs if the prices worked out the same, but it just doesn't seem to be the case.
  • How long do you think it would work out cheaper for if they started to dominate.

I'm biased as I come from a family of cabbies, but think the Uber thing is wrong when a profession is made to study and prepare for years to be experts in their field
  • How long do you think it would work out cheaper for if they started to dominate.

I'm biased as I come from a family of cabbies, but think the Uber thing is wrong when a profession is made to study and prepare for years to be experts in their field

I do agree with you, and I always much prefer the experience, the journey etc when with a cabbie, and would always try and use them if possible. But at the moment, Uber does work out cheaper and that's why people use it, despite it effectively being a pretty dodgy way of exploiting the industry.

Effectively cabbies seem to have been challenged with a different strand of competition, and need to find a way to respond. I don't really know the in's and out's of how black cabs prices work, but if it were possible to have a review of the pricing and try and find a way where it may be a bit cheaper for the customer I'd suggest that a good place to start.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

BTW @sunbury-addick ..... Sorry to hijack your thread. Hope you get to the ground safely and enjoy an unexpected 3pts. COYR!

Cheers TL - I don't understand how uber can legally use meters, always understood it should only for those that have had the balls to do the knowledge. COYR
  • It'll remain cheaper, because in a matter of just a few years, the cars will be driverless.
  • I've used Addison Lee for a lot of trips recently and their pricing structure is very good.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Most black cabs a

Helps that you can pay by card and have the price on your phone in advance

most black cabs accept cards and apps like Hailo & Gett offer the same technology. At the same time you are supporting an iconic London institution rather than a U.S. Conglomerate that takes 20% of the fare to line their pockets whilst handily domiciled in Holland to avoid paying any UK tax
    Sorry,mate,I use black cabs all the time and I doubt more than 1 in 10 has a working credit card machine. I have not switched to Uber but if the cc issue is sorted I may well do.
  • Sponsored links:

• It has been mooted that all cabs should be card ready. I think a sticking point is that TfL would like fixed card machines in cabs whereas cabbies prefer the choice of hand held readers otherwise we'll be in danger of being at the mercy of one provider. Also fixed machines won't suit rented taxis (70% rent)
    I have a "Paypal Here" reader. Bloody excellent!