Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    It's got to the point when it's more newsworthy when there 'isn't' a day without a shooting in The States......as in, let's all celebrate......there's not been a mass murder today!
  • Options
    101 people shot in Chicago over the holiday weekend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40514995
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Need more guns in the US to make people safer. If we'd all been armed in the UK none of the terrorist attacks would have happened.

I think the time has come for toddlers to be armed.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Addickted said:

Kid looks happy!
  • Options

Addickted said:

Kid looks happy!
    He obviously hasn't killed anyone yet and relived their deaths in his dreams.
  • Options

https://jennifermayers.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/americas-martyr-no-race-mixing/

Not only is this justification sick it's not even the actual reason

The views expressed in that article make me wonder what sort of God these people think they are following. Only this God of theirs sounds incredibly small minded for a deity.
    Oh wait, it's not a "God" talking at all, is it?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

Kid looks happy!
    He obviously hasn't killed anyone yet and relived their deaths in his dreams.
    Given him time! Kids need to handle a gun at an early age - useful for sorting out playground disputes.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

The views expressed in that article make me wonder what sort of God these people think they are following. Only this God of theirs sounds incredibly small minded for a deity.
    And this is the same argument Muslim's have against extremists.

Just saying.

Back to your comment these people with these websites are flippin nuts.
  • Options
    Hey, they just LIKE shooting themselves... get over it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    3blokes said:

There is a particular strand of southern, white, Bapitist et al American Christianity is weird in that it is used as a vehicle for some of the worst hate and bigotry imaginable.

But it's worth keeping in mind that those views on "race mixing" are very, very rare. Perhaps not as rare as some Americans would like to think, but still very rare. There is A LOT of racial biases and bigotry in this country. It comes in all forms, and is not limited to the south or Christians or Republicans. But those kinds of views have faded pretty drastically in recent times. I think it's just gone 50 years since interracial marriage became legal throughout the US, which in many ways is a scarily short amount of time, but that's 1-2 generations, and in that time, a lot of progress has been made.

What I'm trying to say is, don't make the mistake of thinking this is somehow a common view in the US, even amongst southern, conservative Christians.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

And Chicago is supposed to have some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

• Options
    Gun laws need to be relaxed in the US to improve safety - you can't get hold of a fully automatic weapon legally if it was made after 1986. I'm sure if there were more automatic weapons available it would make people feel safer.
  • Options
    Last night I was catching up on United Shades of America, a brilliant show on CNN where the comic W. Kamau Bell goes to different parts of America and explores different things. I watched his episode called "Kamau gets a gun" yesterday. It's really good, really funny. He looks at the process it takes to get a gun, what it's like to fire one, and what it's like to be a gun owner while being black (he is a 6'4'' black man with an afro).

I highly, highly, highly recommend it if it's viewable in your region.

http://www.cnn.com/shows/united-shades-of-america

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-40627847

Australian bride-to-be shot dead by US police after 911 call

An Australian woman has been killed by a US police officer responding to a 911 call in Minneapolis.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said police responded to "a call of possible assault" when "at one point an officer fired their weapon, fatally striking a woman".

Officials said the officers' body cameras were not turned on at the time of the Saturday shooting.

Ms Damond, dressed in her pyjamas, reportedly approached the driver's side door and was talking to the officer at the wheel after the police arrived, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported, citing three sources with knowledge of the incident.

The officer in the passenger seat, identified by local media as Mohamed Noor, reportedly drew his gun and shot Ms Damond through the driver's window, the newspaper reported.

Mr Noor's lawyer, Tom Plunkett, confirmed on Monday that his client had fired his weapon, killing Ms Damond.
  • Options
    Why would anyone like that post? ^
  • Options

An Australian woman has been killed by a US police officer responding to a 911 call in Minneapolis.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said police responded to "a call of possible assault" when "at one point an officer fired their weapon, fatally striking a woman".

Officials said the officers' body cameras were not turned on at the time of the Saturday shooting.

Ms Damond, dressed in her pyjamas, reportedly approached the driver's side door and was talking to the officer at the wheel after the police arrived, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported, citing three sources with knowledge of the incident.

The officer in the passenger seat, identified by local media as Mohamed Noor, reportedly drew his gun and shot Ms Damond through the driver's window, the newspaper reported.

Mr Noor's lawyer, Tom Plunkett, confirmed on Monday that his client had fired his weapon, killing Ms Damond.

Surely this should be made an offence in itself? Ie. if something happens and your camera isn't on you get a fine/warning, happens twice then you're sacked.

Unless i'm being naive and they just say this whenever they're made to look really bad.
    It's a bit like every time you challenge someone for a recording of your telephone call they seem to have 'lost' it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

Why would anyone like that post? ^

Sometimes if I like something it's a "thank you for sharing." Hopefully goes without saying that I hate gun violence.
    Just admit it. As an American you can be a bit trigger happy, even with the like button.
    Well played sir
  • Options

Surely this should be made an offence in itself? Ie. if something happens and your camera isn't on you get a fine/warning, happens twice then you're sacked.

Unless i'm being naive and they just say this whenever they're made to look really bad.
    I read what her son said & makes a lot of sense. Obviously very distraught he wants to knew why the bodycam was off & why the guy shot her from inside the police car. I bet we never get to find out the truth.

Said he doesn't want to live America anymore & believes that the whole of their police force should be re-trained in how to use a firearm. far too many shooting by their police IMO. Saw a programme a few months back that showed numerous shootings but the LAPD (mainly of black men) that was shocking.

• Options

I read what her son said & makes a lot of sense. Obviously very distraught he wants to knew why the bodycam was off & why the guy shot her from inside the police car. I bet we never get to find out the truth.

Said he doesn't want to live America anymore & believes that the whole of their police force should be re-trained in how to use a firearm. far too many shooting by their police IMO. Saw a programme a few months back that showed numerous shootings but the LAPD (mainly of black men) that was shocking.

Ugh the LAPD. I grew up in LA in the era of Rodney King and OJ Simpson which exposed just how systemically racist the LAPD is. It's gotten better since then, but it's not great and better wasn't hard.

From what I remember OJ Simpson: made in America goes in to some of this. Highly recommend the documentary.

@golfaddick do you remember the name of the documentary you saw?
  • Options
    Never ceases to amaze really does it(?).

It's a great country with great people but oh so messed up in so many ways, starting at the very top! World leaders in peace and justice though apparently.

All of the deaths caused by gun use out there are shocking, but in some instances, as far as the police are concerned, justified. But this really does 'take the biscuit'. Yep, we don't have the full facts but I have a real hunch that the victim had not placed those officers in any immediate danger (that required the use of lethal force) whatsoever. Just a hunch mind!!!

• Options
    https://uk.yahoo.com/news/toddler-shoots-two-children-michigan-home-221702653.html

Quality baby sitting. Just to be flippant I'll point out that "guns don't kill people, toddlers do" and "if the other toddlers had been armed it wouldn't have happened".
  • Options
    ^^^ the lol was due to a faulty finger !
  • Options
    How on earth does a toddler "get access to a handgun"?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

How on earth does a toddler "get access to a handgun"?

In America possibly through the parents opening a child bank account for them.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41880511

No details yet but looks like multiple victims in shooting in Texas church.

Edit - Now confirmed as 27 dead.

Ffs do something about your gun laws America!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    As depressing as it is unsurprising. RIP to all the victims of yet another horrific and senseless act of violence