Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The NASA major scientific discovery on Mars News Conference due today

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like some very plausible analysis there Chizz, though the bit about "The Earth equivalent being a small crab, mussel or crustacean" seems a little optimistic to me. If they haven't found anything before, I suspect the first life found may be rather less impressive perhaps a nematode or other small worm might be nearer the mark.
  • Options
    It's red!
  • Options

It's red!

That's the moon.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Sounds like some very plausible analysis there Chizz, though the bit about "The Earth equivalent being a small crab, mussel or crustacean" seems a little optimistic to me. If they haven't found anything before, I suspect the first life found may be rather less impressive perhaps a nematode or other small worm might be nearer the mark.

I'd go lower than a nematode to be honest - bacteria at best.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    bobmunro said:

Stig said:

I'd go lower than a nematode to be honest - Walltard at best.
  • Options

Adrians hairdresser

"I was only a bit late and was waving in clear view of the Mars Space Shuttle, they should have stopped...."
  • Options
    Are they trying to tell us something about the Red Planet?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    If this really was 'life' it would be all over the news the instant the discovery was confirmed. It will be flowing water - that's all. 'mussels'? ' crustaceans'? Not a chance
  • Options
    I've heard it is the lowest form of life known in the universe.

They knew that as as soon as they found it it started singing

"no one like us, no one likes us"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nolly
  • Options
    Oh I quite like Shatner's Common People! If you want to be disturbed though, listen to What Have You Done from the same album, which is about Bill coming home to find his wife dead.
  • Options
    The cynic in me would suggest that somebody in NASA public relations has noticed there is a film coming out called 'The Martian'. That same cynical trait would also suggest that the fact a mission to Mars has been mooted of late, but that the public don't seem to be particularly enamoured of the idea of spending billions of taxpayer dollars on it might not be unrelated either...
  • Options

The cynic in me would suggest that somebody in NASA public relations has noticed there is a film coming out called 'The Martian'. That same cynical trait would also suggest that the fact a mission to Mars has been mooted of late, but that the public don't seem to be particularly enamoured of the idea of spending billions of taxpayer dollars on it might not be unrelated either...

Well you're a right barrel of laughs ;0)

• Options
    Wtf is "liquid water" ?
  • Options

Wtf is "liquid water" ?

Water exists in three states...

It says so on the internet!
  • Options
    Wow, never realised water came in liquid form
  • Options

They might do better saying they have discovered free flowing alcohol that might generate a bit more interest ;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015

Wtf is "liquid water" ?

Similar to, but less knobby than, vegetarian cheese.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Oh I quite like Shatner's Common People! If you want to be disturbed though, listen to What Have You Done from the same album, which is about Bill coming home to find his wife dead.

We're all gonna die!
  • Options
    Another announcement tomorrow but in relation to the New Horizons visit to Pluto. Couldn't work out whether to use this, or the Pluto thread or start a new one :smiley:

I'm loving all this at the moment, it's brilliant
  • Options

quite likely they've been sitting on it for a few weeks and done further analysis to make sure. I'm sure this discovery has been after many months of analysis and they decided to strike whilst the iron is hot, not just for money but for more people to get interested generally.
  • Options
    The odd thing is that, if NASA *has* found liquid, running water on the surface of Mars, you'd think they'd want to send the Mars Rover there to take a look. However, they are forbidden from doing so by an international treaty which prohibits terrestrial spacecraft from approaching anywhere near water, to prevent contamination. So, the one place that is most likely (almost certain) to harbour life is the one place that no mission is allowed to approach.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The odd thing is that, if NASA *has* found liquid, running water on the surface of Mars, you'd think they'd want to send the Mars Rover there to take a look. However, they are forbidden from doing so by an international treaty which prohibits terrestrial spacecraft from approaching anywhere near water, to prevent contamination. So, the one place that is most likely (almost certain) to harbour life is the one place that no mission is allowed to approach.

I think the answer is simple.

F*** THE RULES!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

I think the answer is simple.

F*** THE RULES!
    Great picture.

(Although how he's supposed to drink that beer, I will never know).
  • Options
    What time is the announcement due?
  • Options

I'm going for liquid water found on Mars.

As oppose to non-liquid water?

;-)
    Ice and vapour
    Take that, Mr Snide.